Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #1

Pentax Es-II auto shutter issue

I have a pentax Es-ii that the needle works correctly on but the shutter seems stay at the same speed. completely unusable over 1/125 of a second and just fires quick even if It detects needing a 4 sec exposure
I was wondering if anyone has attempted a repair like this or if i should try send it for repair

04-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by gmcdude Quote
I have a pentax Es-ii that the needle works correctly on but the shutter seems stay at the same speed. completely unusable over 1/125 of a second and just fires quick even if It detects needing a 4 sec exposure
I was wondering if anyone has attempted a repair like this or if i should try send it for repair
I've heard that's sort of a common problem for the automatic shutter. I'm not super experienced with the ES-II (Got mine a week or so ago), but I wonder if it has to do with the battery? How are the mechanical speeds?
04-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd try all the usual things like cleaning the battery compartments and trying fresh (preferably silver oxide) batteries. It is also worth rotating the exposure compensation dial back and forth quite a few times as some models have problems with oxidation of the contacts (more common with later M-series models but worth a try).

Sadly, if the electronics are dying, it is unlikely to be repairable. Fifty year old electronic components are essentially impossible to source. Some of the repair techs may have a few left in stock, but it'll be a long-shot.

I hope you get it fixed. It's a lovely camera.

K.
06-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sadie711 Quote
I've heard that's sort of a common problem for the automatic shutter. I'm not super experienced with the ES-II (Got mine a week or so ago), but I wonder if it has to do with the battery? How are the mechanical speeds?
Mechanical speeds all working properly ive actually been able to pick up 2 fully working copies in the last bit which has been great

06-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I'd try all the usual things like cleaning the battery compartments and trying fresh (preferably silver oxide) batteries. It is also worth rotating the exposure compensation dial back and forth quite a few times as some models have problems with oxidation of the contacts (more common with later M-series models but worth a try).

Sadly, if the electronics are dying, it is unlikely to be repairable. Fifty year old electronic components are essentially impossible to source. Some of the repair techs may have a few left in stock, but it'll be a long-shot.

I hope you get it fixed. It's a lovely camera.

K.
Yea it is quite lovely i believe its actually one of the components deeper in the camera as i just to see what happened swapped the main board in it and it didnt fix the issue
06-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have two ESII bodies with behaviour like that. 1 or 2 exposures are OK on automatic and then shutter speed is much to fast. Waiting for some minutes starts the behaviour over again. I tried to reason as to what may cause this and it might be a faulty switch contact connected to the 'film wound' flag. This switch goes on and off to charge/discharge the shutter timing capacitor. When the switch is faulty the automatic shutter timing gets erratic.
Anybody has experience in repairing this?

Regards,

Wim
06-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

good news thats you can meter off it and translate to a manual speed........bad news it not firing at the metered speed......hopefully it's something that can be cleaned or bad contact versus it just putzing out.......will 2nd the notion of cleaning the battery compartment, around the exp comp dial and asa setting ring