Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I keep thinking about buying a second one in case my current one dies. It is the only model of SLR where I would deliberately do that. I've ended-up with doubles of other models but usually because they were gifts, part of job lots or had a lens on the front I wanted.
I have read [ sorry cannot find the article ] the problem is that there were internal changes in the LX as it was in production

so the parts in your back up LX may not help you

03-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have read [ sorry cannot find the article ] the problem is that there were internal changes in the LX as it was in production

so the parts in your back up LX may not help you
I wasn't thinking of parts, I was thinking of a second body with a full CLA...
03-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I wasn't thinking of parts, I was thinking of a second body with a full CLA...
sorry I misunderstood
03-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Well that's a fly in the ointment. I had considered getting a very nice (cosmetic) LX for hopefully a good price and having him CLA it. If he's not working on them, then not sure who would be the alternative.
He may still, but was not happy to see mine and said he may stop doing them as no parts etc.
I would give him a call/email and tell him your plans.

I have to say I had a very bad experience, and this was just a few months ago. But others seem to like him.

You could also call other shops like zackscamerarepair (who has done great work for me) and ask them.
But honestly, buying an old camera that is defective and is hard to get serviced/find parts for is not really a good idea.
Much better to pay an extra $100 and get one that is working. Even if a shop could repair the one you send in - if - it would cost much more than $100.

03-26-2021, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FWIW, I did email EH and he said that he indeed still works on LX. Said that his success rate was about 80%.
03-27-2021, 02:45 AM - 5 Likes   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
LX - what's it worth?
Your body weight in Gold... one of Pentax finest hours.

One of mine (shown here), is complete with actual battle dings visible on the action viewfinder housing.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-27-2021 at 04:13 PM.
03-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
. . . there are no guarantees with the electronics and mechanicals. Buying old electronic film cameras is like that, you take your chances.. . .
be advised that even after an LX has been worked on, problems can developed

my recently purchased LX was worked on by Eric in 2016 - " CLA and serviced "

I ran two rolls of film through it, one has been sent in for processing, the other hasn't

I was using the " automatic " mode

with the third roll, the shutter remains open when I take a photo when using the " automatic " mode

but not if a shutter speed is selected

any one have any thoughts

Eric has been contacted by email

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2021 at 09:04 AM.
03-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

my recently purchased LX was worked on by Eric in 2016 - " CLA and serviced "

I ran two rolls of film through it, one has been sent in for processing, the other hasn't

with the third roll, the shutter remains open when I take a photo when using the " automatic " mode

Eric has been contacted by email
How are your batteries?
I seem to recall there's a not uncommon battery drain issue with the LX?

But isn't that the failure mode with low batteries? works at the mechanical speeds, locks up elsewhere...

-Eric
03-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #24
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
How are your batteries?

But isn't that the failure mode with low batteries? works at the mechanical speeds, locks up elsewhere...
That is my understanding also -batteries

No doubt about it at all. Using 30-50+ year old kit with electric/mechanical components is going to be an adventure - possibly an expensive one
03-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen that when doing long exposures. I though the camera's shutter was "stuck" open, but it was just the LX doing its thing. Frame was correctly exposed in the end and all is good.

However I'm assuming you are not doing low light shots when your shutter remains open?

Phil.
03-28-2021, 11:33 AM   #26
Pentaxian

How are your batteries?

-Eric
I have not seen many - or any, "drain issues" with the LX. This would be a big bummer for me since I tend to shoot my LX's on very extra long exposures.

---------- Post added 03-28-21 at 01:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I've seen that when doing long exposures. I though the camera's shutter was "stuck" open, but it was just the LX doing its thing. Frame was correctly exposed in the end and all is good.

However I'm assuming you are not doing low light shots when your shutter remains open?

Phil.
The manual Nikon cameras of the 80's with automatic exposure modes had a feature of disabling automatic mode and setting the shutter speed to sync speed after the camera back is opened until the film advance counter hits 1. This was intended to preclude the shutter from appearing to be "stuck" when first loading the camera with film and to quickly advance the film to position 1. I thought this was entirely overbearing for Nikon to assume that people would not know how to load and advance film.
03-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Check your exposure compensation knob too if you have known good batteries yet aren’t getting meter lights. Like ME supers I think the exposure compensation dial is included in the power circuit. If there isn’t a good contact there, the camera acts like the battery is dead and the mirror locks up in program mode but can be released when you switch to manual mode.
03-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

How are your batteries?

-Eric
haven't had time to check batteries yet but this is from the LX operating manual:

QuoteQuote:
Operating the Camera Without Batteries

When the LED shutter speed display no longer lights, batteries are dead. However, the LX camera incorporates an electro-mechanical shutter system which allows the photographer to continue taking pictures over a broad range of shutter speeds even when the batteries no longer function due to exhaustion or temporary failure from temperature extremes. Should battery failure occur while shooting within the camera's mechanical shutter speed range (i.e., from l /2000 second to "X") no interruption of camera operation will take place. However, should batteries fail while operating in the "Automatic" exposure mode or within the electronically controlled shutter speed range (from l /60 second to 4 seconds) the mirror will automatically lock up as a warning.

To continue picture-taking, simply turn the shutter speed dial to any of the mechanically operated settings (l /2000 second to "X").

NOTE: Should you wish to save the exposure being made when the mirror lock-up occurred, before changing the shutter speed dial, first cover the lens with the lens cap. Then, release the mirror as described above and press the film rewind/multiple exposure button at the base of the camera. Advance the film and take the picture.
Pentax LX camera manual, user manual
03-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The battery drain issue as I recall it was due to something on the main board. The camera would work fine but the batteries would die in a couple of days.

I don’t know how common it was, but I heard about it long enough ago that the LX was still in production.... so a lot of today’s age-related problems wouldn’t have been a problem...

The Canon AE1 Program also apparently had a similar issue...

-Eric
03-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the forums are great

@aseno, the member who sold me the LX stepped up and immediately responded to my PMs

and the suggestion about the batteries immediately paid off

put in new set and problem solved

hopefully, it won't run through batteries quickly

thanks to all

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-28-2021 at 03:03 PM.