Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

LX - what's it worth?

I've been interested in an LX and wanted to know what fair prices are these days. As a buyer, what qualifies as a fair price and what is a price that you jump on? Will be considering both fully working, non CLA'd camera and a sticky mirror camera?
It seems like the going rate for CLA is 225-250 these days? It's a big investment and not something I NEED so want to get the best deal possible obviously. Thanks.

03-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that is hard to say a lot of variables are possible

what is being offered with the LX camera body ?

which interchangeable view finder

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Pentax-LX-Viewfinders-c120.html

more than one ?

any of the other options

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
The diagram in my first post has its resolution limited by this website, and therefore a bit of a strain to read. If anyone wants a higher resolution copy, feel free to download it directly from my own webspace, here :-

http://www.lucan.org.uk/IMGP6584_xis2.JPG
QuoteQuote:
Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/419204-sour...ml#post5190436

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-25-2021 at 11:58 AM.
03-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would you mind if I PM you?
03-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Would you mind if I PM you?
go ahead

but I just got my LX

I am not an expert

03-25-2021, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'd suggest looking for cameras that have been CLAd recently and save yourself a lot of headache. Another option is to look for cameras that need a CLA and work with the seller to bring the price down to accommodate the cost.

Or just get an ME super.
03-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I'd suggest looking for cameras that have been CLAd recently and save yourself a lot of headache.
Ditto!

Otherwise you will spend a couple hundred on a CLA.

Price also depends on which LX version, there were two standard versions (early & late in black) and many special additions which sell for in the thousands.

Phil
03-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is there much difference in the value of the LX models (other than the LX2000)? I assume the major functional difference we’re talking about is the 1600 iso and the 3200 iso?

I certainly have reservations about tying up money in a camera that I might have trouble repairing should the need arise. For a camera in cosmetically good condition is $200-250 a good price (as a buyer) for a working camera and $100 less for a sticky mirror camera?

03-25-2021, 03:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Is there much difference in the value of the LX models (other than the LX2000)? I assume the major functional difference we’re talking about is the 1600 iso and the 3200 iso?

I certainly have reservations about tying up money in a camera that I might have trouble repairing should the need arise. For a camera in cosmetically good condition is $200-250 a good price (as a buyer) for a working camera and $100 less for a sticky mirror camera?
It is impossbile to really answer. Rembember these are old cameras by now, and both mechanical parts and electonics tends to fail. The best bet is to have one that has been recently cla'd by a reptuable service center is recommended, or you will spend at least 200$ to get it fixed, if it is at all doable. But once it works, it is a hot camera, for sure.
03-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

in general

a collectable item is worthless unless you have a buyer

and then it's worth what a seller can convince the buyer to pay

how rare is it ?

what sort of shape is it in ?

what makes it special and worth more than what Bob or Bobbie is selling ?

in my book, a SLR made beginning in 1980 which was continued to be produced for 15 years meets my definition of a " collectible " item

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-26-2021 at 03:38 AM.
03-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would first make sure you have a shop that will service an LX, and will repair the sticky mirror syndrome.
Even the notorious go-to Pentax guy did not want to touch my LX - but he did. He told me he doesn't like to work on them anymore.

I'd mention that it was not a good experience, and the camera was returned with issues that I had to take care of.

Point being, the LX is a nice piece but do your homework. And if a seller claims it has been CLA'd - ask to see proof (and look up that tech). And not they did it themselves, lost the paperwork, was told it was done etc.
03-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bought my first LX in excellent condition from KEH in 2009 for $250 and it still works perfectly fine in every way. A couple of years later I bought a second body only off ebay as-is condition untested and it still works perfectly fine today. To date, neither has needed a CLA. Good luck with your hunt!
03-25-2021, 11:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I would first make sure you have a shop that will service an LX, and will repair the sticky mirror syndrome.
Even the notorious go-to Pentax guy did not want to touch my LX - but he did. He told me he doesn't like to work on them anymore.

I'd mention that it was not a good experience, and the camera was returned with issues that I had to take care of.

Point being, the LX is a nice piece but do your homework. And if a seller claims it has been CLA'd - ask to see proof (and look up that tech). And not they did it themselves, lost the paperwork, was told it was done etc.
Well that's a fly in the ointment. I had considered getting a very nice (cosmetic) LX for hopefully a good price and having him CLA it. If he's not working on them, then not sure who would be the alternative.
03-26-2021, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have an LX, and made sure when I purchased it the sticky mirror problem had been fixed in a CLA. I paid US$300 for mine in 2017, which was in very tidy condition and had been CLA'ed. I thought the price was fair for a camera in that condition in this part of the world.

It has worked fine, but there are no guarantees with the electronics and mechanicals. Buying old electronic film cameras is like that, you take your chances.

I have enjoyed using the LX, it is a very well designed camera.

Ross
03-26-2021, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I would first make sure you have a shop that will service an LX, and will repair the sticky mirror syndrome.. . .
as I understand it, the problem with finding those willing to try to repair an LX is

- due to the age of the camera

- due to lack of parts

- due to confusion over design changes ( mostly internal ) over the production life of the LX

QuoteQuote:
. . . Another problem with the LX is that it is no longer in production, and parts for it are difficult to find. It usually takes at least 10 to 15 years before the first problems come, but when they come, professional care is needed. And professionals trained to repair the LX are difficult to find, and their work is expensive. The most common LX problem is the so-called “sticky mirror” where, after periods of inactivity, the mirror “hesitates” on its first trip up towards the viewfinder. This is normally accompanied by the “no infinity focus” syndrome where wide-angle lenses cannot be focused at infinity. Both problems are caused by a small rubber piece onto which the mirror rests in its “down” position. Due to aging, this rubber piece becomes porous and sticky, and the mirror sits lower and becomes stuck to it. This rubber piece is easy to reach and replace, but when that happens, it is usually time for a complete service. There are several other mechanisms deep into the camera that need cleaning, lubrication and adjustment (CLA).. . .
LX (early version) | The K-Mount Page

QuoteQuote:
General Description
During its long production rung, the Pentax LX was updated at least three times. The latest camera revision has three visible differences compared to the earliest: there are two white points missing on the front of the first shutter curtain; pressing the button that releases the viewfinder causes the light meter to turn on, and the shutter-lock switch features a new design. Severals attempts to gather information about camera serial numbers and design variations have failed due to inconclusive data.. . .

Subjective Evaluation

Contrarary [ sic ] to expectations, with increasing age even the newest-design LX bodies develop the “sticky-mirror syndrome.” Regardless, like discussed here, the LX is still a very desirable camera to own, and certainly worth having cleaned-up, adjusted or repaired.
LX (late version) | The K-Mount Page

despite all of the above

The LX has its followers

including moi

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-26-2021 at 04:58 AM.
03-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I keep thinking about buying a second one in case my current one dies. It is the only model of SLR where I would deliberately do that. I've ended-up with doubles of other models but usually because they were gifts, part of job lots or had a lens on the front I wanted.