Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2021, 01:37 PM   #1

Please help! The Faux Leather of my Pentax 67II is peeling off!

Hi all,

So, like I said in my heading, the faux leather on my new Pentax 67II is starting to peel off! I'm a young person and I've spent a good chunk of my savings on this gorgeous Pentax 67II, but when I recieved it today, I noticed that the faux leather is peeling off in a few places of the body.

I've attached a photo of what I mean.

I'm not sure of what to do. I really, really, don't want to use super glue because, with my luck, it'll get smeared on the plastic, possibly "melting" it, and really ruin the appearance of the camera.

Can any of you experts help me out and recommend and adhesive for this that won't destroy/melt the plastic like super/crazy glue would?

Many, many thanks!

-Kris

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro  Photo 
04-16-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that a crack? Much more worrying than the leather, contact adhesive is the normal fix for the leather , good luck
04-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Is that a crack? Much more worrying than the leather, contact adhesive is the normal fix for the leather , good luck
I think that is a casing joint that isn't particularly well lined up although the magnification could be exaggerating it.
04-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah, the joined plastic is fine. I had the same on another Pentax 67II.

The real problem is what type of adhesive to use to glue the faux leather (that you see is peeling off) back to the plastic. This is apparently common with Pentax 67IIs.

Garywakeling, what kind of contact adhesive would you recommend?

04-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #5

Check out Pliobond - it’s a common adhesive for camera coverings. Google around a bit for it too
04-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jchabalk Quote
Check out Pliobond - it’s a common adhesive for camera coverings. Google around a bit for it too
Yes...Pliobond is the usual adhesive for this task and and allows for easy future removal of the covering, if needed.

Steve
04-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used some auto emblem adhesive that worked.

04-17-2021, 03:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
To those who recommend Pliobond, is there a certain brand of Pliobond that you recommend for this type of repair? My biggest worry is accidentally getting glue - especially super glue - on the naked plastic, which as you all probably know will basically melt and whiten the plastic and ruin the appearance of my beloved Pentax 67II.

If Pliobond doesn't do that, I'm all in. I just need to know which brand you experienced guys recommend.

Let me know at your earliest convenience!
04-17-2021, 06:09 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pliobond is a registered trademark for Ashland Chemical's industrial adhesives - the real deal. It comes in different grades - I think 20 or 25 is what you'd need. Buy the smallest amount you can - a little goes a long way.

I found an old brochure online:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/PliobondBooklet.pdf
http://www.accrabond.com/images/Pliobond20%20TDB.pdf

Other contact cements can work - but you'd want to test it carefully.

The other option is to buy some replacement camera leatherette and trim to fit - you could give the camera a whole new custom look.
Camera leather ? JapanHobbyTool

Good luck.