View Poll Results: Should Pentax make a modern film SLR
Yes 4734.81%
No 8865.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
i don't think they should make a new film SLR.

If anything, they ought to look at feasibility / viability of making a digital version of the LX (a LX-D)

Or a digital version of the MZ-S.
LS-D would be an awesome name for a digital Pentax.

07-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
LS-D would be an awesome name for a digital Pentax.
I actually thought of that (cuz LX-D rhymes).

But seriously, a LX-D (with split prism screen) or MZ-SD, that will rock things up quite a bit.
07-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
I actually thought of that (cuz LX-D rhymes).

But seriously, a LX-D (with split prism screen) or MZ-SD, that will rock things up quite a bit.
MZ-S Mk 2, but with KAF3 mount/SAFOX 12 AF, & the meter from the K3 Mk3 😁
07-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually like the new Nikon better than the DF, and I think the 28mm is a reasonable lens for it.
While I obviously haven't used it, I think the potential greatest failing is the need to support every fiddly little feature.
The shutter speed dial, for example, is very straightforward, unless you want 1/3 stops on the shutter speed, when it needs some different dial. What?

And frankly, once a KP is set up, it works quite well in a film-like workflow, so if folks really want that vintage look, they could get a KP if there were any left...

If Pentax were to make a new film camera, it would need to support the new lenses, so the mount would be very different (and far more complicated, electronically) than anything put in an existing Pentax film camera. By the time you supported the lenses, you'd probably want to support the flashes, and autofocus, and, and, and... then it isn't so simple any more (a digital preview would be great... let's just put this screen on the back...)

-Eric

07-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I voted “No” to this poll, but after a little reflection, I think that maybe a revised LX with a quieter mirror and shutter might make an impression on the more serious (ie cashed-up) film photographers. I love the feel and flexibility of my LX, but the noise from the shutter actuation is a bit off-putting.

I don’t know that it would require AF lens compatibility, given the number and longevity of existing MF lenses. As far as the durability of the camera itself goes, I would have thought that adding modern IC electronics is a step backwards, as the LX used discrete components, which would rule out using KAF4 lenses. The AE sensor, though, might be another matter.
07-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I actually like the new Nikon better than the DF, and I think the 28mm is a reasonable lens for it.
While I obviously haven't used it, I think the potential greatest failing is the need to support every fiddly little feature.
The shutter speed dial, for example, is very straightforward, unless you want 1/3 stops on the shutter speed, when it needs some different dial. What?..
-Eric
You turn the shutter speed dial to the 1/3 stop setting, then use the front dial. Seems very easy and simple to me. I don't know too many film cameras that have 1/3 stop settings on their shutter speed dials, and that is what this camera is mimicking. (Leica R8/9 perhaps)

I'm looking at pics of a Pentax KP, and I don't see a dedicated shutter speed dial anywhere. Nor a dedicated ISO dial. Nor a dedicated exp compensation dial.

So I'm not sure how you are comparing the two? One is a classically styled camera with dedicated dials of a traditional film camera, making it very easy and quick to use w/o needing time to figure it out (and perhaps the manual). The other is a modern looking digicam that's going to take a while to figure out where everything is, and what it does.

One also is a very good looking and compact camera. The other is, well, not.
07-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I voted “No” to this poll, but after a little reflection, I think that maybe a revised LX with a quieter mirror and shutter might make an impression on the more serious (ie cashed-up) film photographers. I love the feel and flexibility of my LX, but the noise from the shutter actuation is a bit off-putting.
I agree that a smoother shutter/mirror action on the LX would be nice. However the cost to engineer such a camera and the very limited market would make the cost astronomical. My guess would be a retail price of no less than $4k assuming the same attention to build quality and engineering as the original LX. It becomes very hard to justify when you can still get a used LX in mint condition and send it for a full strip down service for 20% of that price at the absolute most. Unfortunately most of the technicians are now in semi retirement and the parts inventory is almost gone.

I think a more realistic hope is that some third party manufacturer starts making replacement parts, including electronic circuits, for the various high end film cameras that are no longer supported by the original manufacturers, so we can keep these cameras running for another 40 years.

07-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Curious if you have you found another SLR with a more quiet mirror and shutter?
07-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
My K2DMD is a substantial number of decibels quieter. Mind you, the LX sounds very solid, nonetheless.
07-05-2021, 08:58 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
I agree that a smoother shutter/mirror action on the LX would be nice. However the cost to engineer such a camera and the very limited market would make the cost astronomical. My guess would be a retail price of no less than $4k assuming the same attention to build quality and engineering as the original LX. It becomes very hard to justify when you can still get a used LX in mint condition and send it for a full strip down service for 20% of that price at the absolute most. Unfortunately most of the technicians are now in semi retirement and the parts inventory is almost gone.

I think a more realistic hope is that some third party manufacturer starts making replacement parts, including electronic circuits, for the various high end film cameras that are no longer supported by the original manufacturers, so we can keep these cameras running for another 40 years.
Bear in mind that the Leica MP still sells (on back-order, make of that what you will) for $7,500AUD, so there’s a market for new high-end 35mm film cameras, even today. How that translates to a Pentax SLR is anyone’s guess.

I just hope that there’s someone around to tackle a repair when my LX decides it’s getting a little tired.
07-06-2021, 12:13 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Nikon F6.
07-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Pentax will have a hard time making a new camera, hopefully Cosina will bring another odd-ball as they did in the early 00s
I regret not buying a Bessaflex when they came out, it was just out of my budget
07-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
Nikon F6.
Not that familiar with the F6 but understand there's a silent mode? I would be interested to hear your side by side comparison of the LX and F6 in normal and silent mode when you have the chance. Also with and without mirror lockup. TIA.
07-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #149
Veteran Member

The trouble with old film cameras is that most are worn and unreliable - even half-decent ones. Plastic and rubber components, and lubricants, will not usually be in good condition, thanks to age alone, regardless of use.

Film is starting to have a bit of a cult following - much like vinyl records, which are by now becoming fairly mainstream, and turntables (from entry-level to the exotic) abound.

I wonder if any of the brands will address what could be a growing market?
07-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #150

I had an F100 which I stupidly sold before getting back into film cameras. The mirror/shutter/motor-drive on that camera was incredibly smooth, and the F6 takes this to the next level by all accounts. I understand that these cameras used motors to raise and lower the mirror so it can be done more precisely and smoothly, compared to cameras like the Lx where the mirror mechanism is controlled by springs. Even in the standard single shot mode the shutter and motor advance was quieter than the shutter/mirror slap on the LX.