Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raindog Quote
I understand there should be pictures here but for some reason I can't see any...
Well they were there but fell down a black hole somewhere. I have just put them back.

04-26-2021, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s freaky. I assume the aperture on this lens is de-clicked? Maybe the person who said that connected something wrong in the lens?
There is something missing to this story and I think you may have found a clue. Added: I just viewed the video and the cause is obvious. The lens is declicked and as a result the aperture ring provides no resistance to the spring-loaded body side coupling.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-26-2021 at 10:47 AM.
04-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

That seems to be more a lens than camera issue
Maybe someone serviced the lens and lost the small ball bearing of the aperture ring so there is no resistance to the body spring loaded aperture ring
PS. Someone called it declicked... why would anyone do that to a lens?
04-26-2021, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
That seems to be more a lens than camera issue
Maybe someone serviced the lens and lost the small ball bearing of the aperture ring so there is no resistance to the body spring loaded aperture ring
Video users on a non Pentax platform. It makes changing aperture step less and quiet.

04-26-2021, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Seems to be a common thing to do if you're using it for video.
I don't do video but the only advantage I can see is that it would allow you to do fade in and fade out shots.

To my mind it is just an easy way to ruin a good lens.
04-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
Seems to be a common thing to do if you're using it for video.
I don't do video but the only advantage I can see is that it would allow you to do fade in and fade out shots.
I think the technique is called (variously) aperture, iris, or DOF pull. It is used to modify DOF on the fly. Managing exposure can be problematic, but when done well, the effect can be compelling. Aperture pull may also be used to change exposure during a take.

Steve
04-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is something missing to this story and I think you may have found a clue. Added: I just viewed the video and the cause is obvious. The lens is declicked and as a result the aperture ring provides no resistance to the spring-loaded body side coupling.

Steve
That sounds convincing, but wait! It worked alright for years, and just started doing that thing recently. Does your theory still stand?

---------- Post added 04-26-21 at 01:26 PM ----------

That sounds convincing, but wait! It worked alright for years, and just started doing that thing recently. Does your theory still stand?
Plus, again, it works well when used with an adapter on a Fuji mirrorless. I would expect it to just not stop at power f stops at all...

---------- Post added 04-26-21 at 01:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
Well they were there but fell down a black hole somewhere. I have just put them back.
Everything shown in the picture applies to the lens. Exactly the same.

04-26-2021, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The proof is in your video. But wait! Do the aperture click stops on the 28mm lens still work or does the ring rotate freely (no clicks) when off camera? Unless a small gremlin lives in lens or camera, what you are seeing is what I would expect from a declicked lens on a standard K-mount body.* If you have lent your lens out in the recent past, you might want to talk to person that borrowed it.

Steve

* A declicked lens works fine on a Pentax dSLR due to those cameras having a non-coupled mount.
04-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The proof is in your video. But wait! Do the aperture click stops on the 28mm lens still work or does the ring rotate freely (no clicks) when off camera? Unless a small gremlin lives in lens or camera, what you are seeing is what I would expect from a declicked lens on a standard K-mount body.* If you have lent your lens out in the recent past, you might want to talk to person that borrowed it.

Steve

* A declicked lens works fine on a Pentax dSLR due to those cameras having a non-coupled mount.
Ok, all sounds right, just one mystery left: this is my lens and was never loaned to anyone. It used to be ok. Can a lens declick itself with time?
04-27-2021, 02:40 AM   #25

In theory yes, if the lubrication on the spring and ball have dried out then it could become stuck in the inward position.
04-27-2021, 07:40 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, all sounds right, just one mystery left: this is my lens and was never loaned to anyone. It used to be ok. Can a lens declick itself with time?
Just to confirm:
If you take the lens and mount it somewhere else or even have it in mounted and you turn the aperture does it have distinct discreet steps or does it turn freely without clicks?
04-27-2021, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just to confirm:
If you take the lens and mount it somewhere else or even have it in mounted and you turn the aperture does it have distinct discreet steps or does it turn freely without clicks?
Kind of in between. It is quite smooth but feels like fine grit or teeth. And as I insist on saying: it used to work fine
04-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Kind of in between. It is quite smooth but feels like fine grit or teeth. And as I insist on saying: it used to work fine
It does seem like the aperture click lost its mojo. Maybe the ball bearing is stuck as someone mentioned. A CLA might fix this.