Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Hmm, the superiority complex is a bit disconcerting to me.

I actually am thinking of getting a Pentax because I'm tired of the Canon/Nikon fued that takes over so many forums, and Pentax rarely has that, but to see it here to a perspective that a small film camera could take a better photo than canon's oldest professional DSLR body. Honestly I'd think the 1D could take a better photo, out of honest common sense, but still it upsets me to see this here.
Relax, I think the remarks were meant in jest.

11-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, we think Pentax is worse, we're here only because we have unresolved complexes... and Olympus in their wisdom never made their digital backwards compatible with the OM system

Or, at least that's why I'm here.
11-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Hmm, the superiority complex is a bit disconcerting to me.

I actually am thinking of getting a Pentax because I'm tired of the Canon/Nikon fued that takes over so many forums, and Pentax rarely has that, but to see it here to a perspective that a small film camera could take a better photo than canon's oldest professional DSLR body. Honestly I'd think the 1D could take a better photo, out of honest common sense, but still it upsets me to see this here.
Here's the cliché (and true) answer: the camera that takes the better photo of the two is the one with the better photographer behind the viewfinder
11-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Actually, we think Pentax is worse, we're here only because we have unresolved complexes... and Olympus in their wisdom never made their digital backwards compatible with the OM system

Or, at least that's why I'm here.
Admittedly, if Canon made an FD mount DSLR, particularly a ful-frame one, I probably wouldn't be here, either. It'd be like, "Time to transition to digital." *save, save, scrimp, save, buy.* *remove FTb with color film from bag. Insert digital body.* OK. Digital.

I'm not sure, but I *believe* the Olympus digitals actually adapt well to the old Zuikos, ...if you're one of the few out there who had and held onto the good stuff all this time.

Pentax is pretty nice for hybrid systems, though. You can make up the lenses fairly easily, and if you really want to carry light, but have to have digital, stick an ME Super or something in your bag. Not bad.

11-24-2008, 02:44 PM   #20
Pentaxian

All we hear is, digital gaga.

Actually, it's my experience of some of their film SLRs that heavily weighted me to go with them for digital. At the time, though, an LX may as well have been a Contax, and that to buy into a system that seemed generally to be headed down-market. Canon was sort of the poor cousins' brand for working 35mm back then. Till they got bit by the plastic bug. Now that I'm older and slower, though, sure won't mind an MX or something to put some of that Pentax glass on.

Wouldn't have to ask twice if I had real call for a 6x7, though.
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm not sure, but I *believe* the Olympus digitals actually adapt well to the old Zuikos, ...if you're one of the few out there who had and held onto the good stuff all this time.
They work alright, if you're willing to pay a hundred bucks for the adapter and live with the fact that your 50mm lens is now a 100.
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Pentaxian

True, Erik, but I'd have had the 40, and could never mind an 80.

(It's one of the areas where I'm happy in this digital conversion thing: Kind of set in my ways, ...I like fast primes of modest focal length, generally short tele, ...my only lament is, 'Aww, how am I supposed to cheap out on a wide angle, here?') Pentax is good for this. All these little metal primes to look forward to, once I get hold of the obligatory stew-can-sized midrange zoom. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-24-2008 at 02:58 PM.
11-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
Relax, I think the remarks were meant in jest.
Yes, I wasn't being serious and I doubt that Seamuis was either. From what I've read, though, that little Pentax shot well above its weight.

11-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Just to step back to original question for a second...

Not that I'd use or recommend one, but...aren't the MV/MG smallest?

If I were going to get another Pentax SLR, it would be an ME SE to supplement the MX.

Continue with the discussions
11-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I thought the M series shared the same chassis
The MV seemed to me to have the same size as the ME-Super
11-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Just to step back to original question for a second...

Not that I'd use or recommend one, but...aren't the MV/MG smallest?

If I were going to get another Pentax SLR, it would be an ME SE to supplement the MX.

Continue with the discussions

the MV, MV1 & MG all had the same dimensions and were slightly larger than the ME (super).

and an ME in my case an ME F is a great partner to an MX. such wonderful cameras.
11-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

All we hear is, digital gaga.

Actually, it's my experience of some of their film SLRs that heavily weighted me to go with them for digital. At the time, though, an LX may as well have been a Contax, and that to buy into a system that seemed generally to be headed down-market. Canon was sort of the poor cousins' brand for working 35mm back then. Till they got bit by the plastic bug. Now that I'm older and slower, though, sure won't mind an MX or something to put some of that Pentax glass on.

Wouldn't have to ask twice if I had real call for a 6x7, though.

Heh, 6x7, talk about a tiny camera.

To speak plainly about the digital gaga : the reason I've gone Pentax film camera big time is due to the K100D. And the reason I selected the K100D is the backwards compatibility, this is precisely what I want, the ability to swap lenses across generatations and technologies.

If we were still film only, I'd have a hard time switching from OM... even when Olympus seemingly abandoned the amateur market with their all-in-one zoom slr's (without interchangeable lenses).

I think my Program Plus is one excellent camera - so simple to use, and works flawlessly with ANY pentax lens. And though it may not be quite as small as an OM1, the little finger grip on it makes it much easier to hold. I used to keep the bottom of the case on my OM for just such a purpose...
11-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #28
Site Supporter

To speak plainly about the digital gaga : the reason I've gone Pentax film camera big time is due to the K100D. And the reason I selected the K100D is the backwards compatibility, this is precisely what I want, the ability to swap lenses across generatations and technologies.

If we were still film only, I'd have a hard time switching from OM... even when Olympus seemingly abandoned the amateur market with their all-in-one zoom slr's (without interchangeable lenses).

I think my Program Plus is one excellent camera - so simple to use, and works flawlessly with ANY pentax lens. And though it may not be quite as small as an OM1, the little finger grip on it makes it much easier to hold. I used to keep the bottom of the case on my OM for just such a purpose...
Heh, we've taken the exact same route. Must be the Finnish blood.

Yeah, I think the 6x7 probably violates some small arms laws...by not being small
11-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Hee, I made a crack somewhere about someone my size shooting weddings with one. In that case, it was cause I could often borrow one rather than renting, But I do have a real tendency to overburden myself rather than make compromises elsewhere.

The Program Plus is pretty OK, by me. As an old Canon shooter, I used the A-series a lot, (I claim to have the most-cycled AE-1 Program in history, but at the least they make a nice backup/colour camera for your F-1s and FTbs.) But we'd sell them occasionally when I was a teen working retail: I seem to recall there were a few lemons, but lemons get selected out pretty quick. If most of the survivors are still running well, they good deal.

(addition: Yeah, on thinking about it, we had at least a few of those come back or otherwise come in broken down. But, like some kinds of cars of the day with notorious consistency problems, if they lasted the first few years, they were put together right in the first place and could still be on the road today)

Always kind of wanted an excuse to have an MX, though, (or heck, an LX. ) Just felt nice, nice finders, solid little things.

I'll be picking a film body to go with my K20 soon enough, there's a few nice options. I've got nothing against the ME Super except the nail-breaking shutter lock and being distinctly lukewarm toward those buttons. I like to have my speeds set before I point camera, is all.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 11-25-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Addition.
11-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Not the smallest, but has anyone tried the MZ-S?

Hee, I made a crack somewhere about someone my size shooting weddings with one. In that case, it was cause I could often borrow one rather than renting, But I do have a real tendency to overburden myself rather than make compromises elsewhere.

The Program Plus is pretty OK, by me. As an old Canon shooter, I used the A-series a lot, (I claim to have the most-cycled AE-1 Program in history, but at the least they make a nice backup/colour camera for your F-1s and FTbs.) But we'd sell them occasionally when I was a teen working retail: I seem to recall there were a few lemons, but lemons get selected out pretty quick. If most of the survivors are still running well, they good deal.

Always kind of wanted an excuse to have an MX, though, (or heck, an LX. ) Just felt nice, nice finders, solid little things.

I'll be picking a film body to go with my K20 soon enough, there's a few nice options. I've got nothing against the ME Super except the nail-breaking shutter lock and being distinctly lukewarm toward those buttons. I like to have my speeds set before I point camera, is all.