Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the smallest, but has anyone tried the MZ-S?

I have not. But I could be convinced.

11-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the MV, MV1 & MG all had the same dimensions and were slightly larger than the ME (super).

and an ME in my case an ME F is a great partner to an MX. such wonderful cameras.
Ahh, got it. Only held an MV for a minute at St. Vinny's without another M to compare.

Did you ever manage to buy/test/steal/borrow that AF lens for the ME-F, by the way?
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
To speak plainly about the digital gaga : the reason I've gone Pentax film camera big time is due to the K100D. And the reason I selected the K100D is the backwards compatibility, this is precisely what I want, the ability to swap lenses across generatations and technologies.
Exactly! And the digital-only people have an issue with us? I'd be just as happy with a Contax 35mm kit and a Canon 40D (although I'd be broke as a joke, but a happy one).

That lenses make more money than bodies...doesn't matter so much to me. I could only see upgrading if the lens was clearly better...not because it's newer. Although I want a 16-50 for its weather-sealed-ness and zoom range...using it on one camera is sort of a stretch. The FA 31 would be a better choice, for me, since I already have 16mm and 55mm primes at the DA's price point(ish).

But this is terribly off topic
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I have not. But I could be convinced.
Me too

I have lenses...I have film...who's got one to lend?
11-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Did you ever manage to buy/test/steal/borrow that AF lens for the ME-F, by the way?
no.... I have tried unsuccessfully many times to get my hands on one. people recognize its rarity, and they go for a hell of a price even in not so good shape. I have never even held one. my local camera shop knew almost nothing about them and cant remember if they ever had any in stock. the hunt continues though. believe me when I get one, this forum will be the first to know.
11-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Séamuis, how well does the ME-F focus confirmation work with manual focus lenses?

TIA,
Chris

11-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Séamuis, how well does the ME-F focus confirmation work with manual focus lenses?

TIA,
Chris

I think I said once before maybe to zx-m? I don't remember. anyway I think its more sensitive by far than any of the digital SLR's that I have used but I don't think its as accurate. (that may be operator error though) its very hard to keep it on green. just the slightest movement and it goes red left or right arrow, where as with a digital the green hexagon tends to light up and not change with slight movements (based on my own experience, wide open). despite that its actually very easy to use and I quite enjoy it. I haven't had any seriously out of focus shots using it, but to be completely honest although handy it seems a bit overkill with a split-image screen. neat to use none the less.
11-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #36
Pentaxian

A friend of mine actually had the ME-F, with the autofucus lens. Despite the AF itself seeming kind of toy-like, it was a nice solid affair and seemed to do what it did well enough.
11-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Actually, we think Pentax is worse, we're here only because we have unresolved complexes... and Olympus in their wisdom never made their digital backwards compatible with the OM system

Or, at least that's why I'm here.
I'm here because I was told there would cake.

So someone owes me cake.

Where is the cake?
11-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Hmm, the superiority complex is a bit disconcerting to me.

I actually am thinking of getting a Pentax because I'm tired of the Canon/Nikon fued that takes over so many forums, and Pentax rarely has that, but to see it here to a perspective that a small film camera could take a better photo than canon's oldest professional DSLR body. Honestly I'd think the 1D could take a better photo, out of honest common sense, but still it upsets me to see this here.
The EOS-1 in that pic is a film camera. It was their best film camera at the time. The next one down from it was the EOS 10s which I actually have along with a EF 50mm macro lens and canon ring light. I also have the Pentax 110. This was posted in jest, but don't sneeze off the 110 format until you have seen pics with the Pentax or Minolta 110.

11-29-2008, 06:12 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteQuote:
This was posted in jest, but don't sneeze off the 110 format until you have seen pics with the Pentax or Minolta 110.
Pentax put a lot of R&D, engineering & manufacturing into the 110 system. it is by far the most complete and robust 110 system available and I have seen photos made by auto 110's. I can assure you that the film holds that system back, not the equipment. the 110 can hold its own against many cameras despite its size. a testament to pentax's lens engineering than anything else.
09-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

TIA,
Chris
I have a ME-F on the desk in front of me and ZI can confirm the focus confirmation lights and optional 'beep' work very well, fast and accurately, with all my K M and A lenses.

There are even little red arrow LEDs to show you which way you should be turning the lens to get best focus!

I'm photographing it and packing it up to go on Ebay UK. Need room on my shelves, and I haven't been able to get the dedicated AF zoom.

If you see one, buy it, a great camera to use.

Graham
09-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Erik said, 35mm, Wombat. So it's gotta be the ME Super. That thing is a triumph of form and function.

The equivalent to the OM1 would probably be the MX. But there's nothing in the Pentax lineup as small as the OMs.
I've got an Olympus OMg and a Pentax P3n, I hold them next to each other and they are not noticeably different in size.

When I first got my OMg it didn't seem especially small to me. Not especially large either but certainly not tiny.

I can post pics of them back to back if you like.

(The OMg struck me as luxurious more than compact, it's really fancy)

Have fun
Craig
09-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead, Leitax now makes conversion mounts (reversible) for several of the Oly Zuiko glass for k-mount conversion.

Olympus OM lens for Pentax cameras
09-20-2010, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

Since it lives - I've owned an MZ-S, and talk about feeling luxurious in the hand! Best feeling camera I have ever used. It was pretty small too, but I always used it with the grip on.

I've owned most of the other competitors, too, and the *ist is the smallest. Just a tiny little thing, especially paired with a DA 40. Highly recommended. If it didn't have the crippled mount, it would be the only AF body I own.
09-21-2010, 04:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

MZ-S link

DA-40 link
09-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Since it lives - I've owned an MZ-S, and talk about feeling luxurious in the hand! Best feeling camera I have ever used. It was pretty small too, but I always used it with the grip on.

I've owned most of the other competitors, too, and the *ist is the smallest. Just a tiny little thing, especially paired with a DA 40. Highly recommended. If it didn't have the crippled mount, it would be the only AF body I own.
My little *ist is a gem, too...I have the grip, and even with that it's tiny. The crippled mount is kind of a killer, though. It had me buying only A-series glass for a long time.

I now have a PZ-1 as a supplement. not small by any standard, but nice.