Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Actually no, I haven't. But i was referring to the Pentaxforums lens database where they have done an evaluation of its performance in FF.
Source?

Not trying to be a pain, just trying to stop misinformation. I have (along with many others) used it on film and full frame cameras with no issues. It covers the full frame circle.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 05-06-2021 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Typo
05-05-2021, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yep, Sinzen, Pentax Forum members including myself have used the DA35 with full frame.

Here are pictures taken by Ricoh's testers with the K-1, most in full frame mode with lens corrections 'off':

PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Same applies with the other 'Plastic Fantastic', the DA50:

PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Note that neither lens has an aperture ring.
05-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Source?

Not trying to be a pain, just trying to stop misinformation. I have (along with many others) used it on film and full frame cameras with no issues. It covers the full frame circle.
The "official" rating in the lens database is only two stars out of three for full frame compatibility (usable at some distances and apertures).

That's not the story I've heard from users... perhaps whoever rated it thought it vignetted too much...

-Eric
05-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The "official" rating in the lens database is only two stars out of three for full frame compatibility (usable at some distances and apertures).

That's not the story I've heard from users... perhaps whoever rated it thought it vignetted too much...

-Eric
That's different from saying it does not cover the full frame, like it was said and I disagreed with.

Even the pictures in Ricoh's site show that the lens covers the full frame. Yes vignetting and resulution at the extreme borders might be a bit of an issue wide open, but so are most Leica M lenses... anyway...

05-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #20

Original Poster
A little vignetting ads flavour to the shot!
05-06-2021, 12:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sinzen Quote
A little vignetting ads flavour to the shot!
I agree, and to that point, the people buying the expensive Leicas must agree as well!

This is the Summicron 50mm f2

This is the Summicron 35mm f2

And the Summilux lenses are even worse...

Based on my experience with the DA 35 2.4 on film, vignetting is a bit better than the Leica lenses... especially stopped down.
05-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That's different from saying it does not cover the full frame, like it was said and I disagreed with.

Even the pictures in Ricoh's site show that the lens covers the full frame. Yes vignetting and resulution at the extreme borders might be a bit of an issue wide open, but so are most Leica M lenses... anyway...
I apologize if I somehow misled with my post, I was just referring to the star rating system that the other poster mentioned. Personally I also think a little vigneting adds character to the lens.

source: SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

05-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
That database is *problematic*.

I think there will be many full frame lenses that would only get two stars or even one star out of three.

The FA31, the DFA28-105, etc ... check out the photos below of the Zeiss 21mm and the Samyang 14mm, the vignette is obvious enough, shall we downgrade them as not full frame compatible?
Attached Images

Last edited by clackers; 05-09-2021 at 03:49 PM.
05-07-2021, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That database is *problematic*.

I think there will be many full frame lenses that would only get two stars or even one star out of three.

The FA31, the DFA28-105, etc ... check out the photos below of the Zeiss 21mm and the Samyang 14mm, shall we downgrade them as not full frame compatible?
No doubt there are issues with the database... that's what I was trying to clarify...

I wish there were better criteria for that...

-Eric