Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

SF1 with DA 35mm 2.4?

Hey everyone!

So, had a SF1 fall into my collection. Camera looks clean. Seals look good. Itís a beast for sure. Was resding up on the specs and noticed it is KAF. My DA 35 2.4 mentions KAF as well. Would these two play nice together?

Iím about to order a battery for it and toss a roll of film into it if this is possible.

05-04-2021, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 35mm F2.4 is full frame compatible:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
However, I'm not certain of total compatibility with the older film cameras. That said, I believe I have a SF1 here and if I can locate a battery with enough charge, I will see if it does in fact function.
05-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer is yes.
And it works incredibly well with film. Pictures look great.
The only concern is that since there is no aperture ring, you have to use program modes or set the aperture via the camera.
Please share your results!
05-04-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The answer is yes.
Based on a quick test here, I would agree with your answer. I'm not at all familiar with the SF1 but I was able to get the lens to autofocus and fired off some shots at different apertures. Looking at the front of the lens, I was able to see it step down accordingly (based on a rough visual estimate).

05-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #5

It will work in program and shutter priority modes because those require the lens aperture ring set to A if it had one and your DA lens is effectively permanently set in that position. Unfortunately it also means many film bodies wonít support aperture priority or manual mode because they assume the aperture ring controls the aperture, not the body like all DSLRs and some newer film bodies.
05-04-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It should work fine assuming it is FF compatible at all apertures and therefore no vignetting in the corners. The camera will think the aperture ring is set to A and only offer Program and Tv mode (and perhaps x-sync?). However, the camera offers 3 programs based on focal length. (1 tree - tele, 2 trees - standard, 3 trees - wide) which is set when an AF lens it attached.

Edit: The camera will offer various Program modes - standard, speed and depth etc. as mentioned in later posts.

Last edited by johnha; 05-06-2021 at 03:07 AM.
05-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ha! Sweet! Reading the replies makes me a happy geek!

Thanks everyone! May the 4th be with you!
05-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There shouldn't be any problems, but you have to take into account the image circle of the da 35/2.4 is smaller than the full frame.

05-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
There shouldn't be any problems, but you have to take into account the image circle of the da 35/2.4 is smaller than the full frame.
No it isn't. Have you ever even had the lens? I have it.
05-04-2021, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Just to reiterate, as has already been mentioned, yes it will work just fine as long as you're happy and comfortable using the camera to control aperture.
The lens itself is optically long established to be be full-frame/film compatible.
05-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
It should work fine assuming it is FF compatible at all apertures and therefore no vignetting in the corners. The camera will think the aperture ring is set to A and only offer Program and Tv mode (and perhaps x-sync?). However, the camera offers 3 programs based on focal length. (1 tree - tele, 2 trees - standard, 3 trees - wide) which is set when an AF lens it attached.
What do those three program modes actually do / do differently from each other?
05-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
What do those three program modes actually do / do differently from each other?
They use different program lines, variously to increase DoF with wide angles (assuming landscapes) or to increase shutter speeds for longer lenses (potentially reducing camera shake). IIRC they're a stop apart which doesn't increase as lenses get longer/shorter once they've triggered the threshold. The camera will change program as a zoom lens changes focal length.

E.g. if the standard program sets 1/125th at f/8 with a 50mm, a wide angle would select 1/60th at f/11 and a tele 1/250th at f/5.6

Last edited by johnha; 05-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.
05-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #13

Having just got a SF1n myself, it's more complicated than that. There are 3 different program modes that the user can set. In Normal mode, there are 3 different automatically selected program lines possible, which are selected based on focal length.They are less "extreme" than the manually selected tele/wide programs.
05-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morven Quote
Having just got a SF1n myself, it's more complicated than that. There are 3 different program modes that the user can set. In Normal mode, there are 3 different automatically selected program lines possible, which are selected based on focal length.They are less "extreme" than the manually selected tele/wide programs.
I'd forgotten about the user selectable speed and depth programs (similar to the P50). On the Z-1 these are selectable from a Pentax Function (along with MTF), similar to the DSLRs.

It's amazing how few controls the camera needs for all this and much more functionality and how intuitive they are.
05-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
No it isn't. Have you ever even had the lens? I have it.
Actually no, I haven't. But i was referring to the Pentaxforums lens database where they have done an evaluation of its performance in FF.