Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
INCREDIBLE!!! great data!

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I would say it's near impossible to overexpose Portra 160/400 . . . specially when you compare it to digi RAW files.

The general rule of thumb when using color negatives and b&w film is expose for the shadows because the film will take care of the rest. To be more precise, you properly expose the most critical area and the rest will fall where they may and with Portra you will have a lot of overexposure reach and some underexposure.
Since the original author wants to shoot street a +1 compensation should cover most situations in the center-average meter? or +1,5?

05-10-2021, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
INCREDIBLE!!! great data!

Since the original author wants to shoot street a +1 compensation should cover most situations in the center-average meter? or +1,5?
In the OP's intended use, a higher shutter speed from shooting at box speed may be more desirable? The OP just won't be limited by the 1/1000 shutter speed shooting wide open with a fast lens in bright daylight conditions.

One thing to watch out for is if a lab will do the scanning they tend to overexpose and actually blowout highlights which sounds impossible but they can do it . . .

This one on Kodak Ektar 100 scanned with a minilab Noritsu machine compared to what I get from my Coolscan. I understand the premise behind these minilab scans is that most users tend to underexpose.
05-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I was going to suggest the same thing. I think Ansel Adams and Fred Archer (movie star photographer) developed it around 1940. Still very useful today.
Even if one doesn't use it it is still a very good way to think about a scene which is another reason I mentioned it. The first time I ran across it it seemed overly complex but after gaining some experience and then going back to it later it was much more understandable. For someone who already has a good grounding in photography it should be easy to pick up on the first pass.
05-19-2021, 04:58 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SIMPLE!

I just point the camera light meter (centre screen) at first, the subject, then highlights and shadows to ascertain exposure latitude to contend with and make a value judgement adjusting speed or aperture to the conditions. Stopping up or down to centre needle will give fairly good indication of exposure range. Use shadows or the highlights to best effect supporting your subject. You only have so much dynamic range depending on the film your using. Use the right film for the occasion if you can.

05-19-2021, 05:14 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was taught to err on the side of overexposure with negative film, and underexposure with transparency film.

You can push more light through something dark, but something totally white can not be pulled.
05-19-2021, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
In the OP's intended use, a higher shutter speed from shooting at box speed may be more desirable? The OP just won't be limited by the 1/1000 shutter speed shooting wide open with a fast lens in bright daylight conditions.

One thing to watch out for is if a lab will do the scanning they tend to overexpose and actually blowout highlights which sounds impossible but they can do it . . .

This one on Kodak Ektar 100 scanned with a minilab Noritsu machine compared to what I get from my Coolscan. I understand the premise behind these minilab scans is that most users tend to underexpose.
My lab tends to do that. There is rarely anything in the bottom 1/4 - 1/3 of the histogram when I look at the scan in Lightroom.

K.
05-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I shoot 400TMY at EI 100 and under develop the film by a lot. That compresses the highlights and gives you more dynamic range. That's the Zone System. How much you can over expose and under develop that will produce a good negative is a function of both the film and the developer. Tabular grain films do well at this typically.

It was already mention, for high contrast scenes shoot 400 film at EI 200 and 100 film at EI 50 and start reducing your normal film development time until you have a good negative. Make that your high contrast condition go-to development as well as normal. And for overcast, flat light times, shoot at say box speed and add 15% or so to your development time (a mild push if you will) to expand the highlights and increase contrast.

I'd note too that BW film typically has way more dynamic range than you can reproduce. I can measure density differences on a negative up in the 2.5+ range but now way can I reproduce tonal differences at that range on the 2nd generation image if I am also recording density just above the film's base + fog on a scan.