Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help me remember my first SLR....(possible Ricoh connection)

As an avid user of Pentax gear (now proud owner of a K3 III!!) I am trying to recall the fist SLR I purchased back in the late 70's.

I was working overseas in Iran (when the Shah of Iran was around!) and had some spare cash and decided to buy an SLR. The choices were limited (1) in the local town 'camera shop / bazaar'. I am struggling to remember/confirm the brand but thought it was a 'Ricoh' .

It was black (narrows it down!) and the unique feature I remember it had a neat system of 'flipping an internal mirror/prism' to allow top viewing of the pentaprism (through similar eyepiece as traditional viewfinder opening but covered with a cover) beside the hotshoe on top of pentaprism..

I have searched various historical websites / wikis but no joy..

Any historic camera buffs able to confirm whether I started the Pentax / Ricoh journey earlier than I imagined?

05-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

This Ricoh TLS 401 35mm Slr ? Simon Hawketts' Photo Blog ?
05-10-2021, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The dual-viewing concept was revisited in a medium format camera 10 years later...

Ricoh TLS 401 - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
05-10-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes!!!! Now that does away with the need for a 'flippy screen'! - I was a true Pentaxian after all!

05-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought it was interesting enough to acquire . . .

05-12-2021, 12:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'll admit I was curious enough to check out ebay but the only working examples at the moment are pricey.
05-12-2021, 05:00 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I'll admit I was curious enough to check out ebay but the only working examples at the moment are pricey.
You just described the film camera market...