Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ZX-5 body

I have a ZX-5 body that doesn't advance film and the flash doesn't pop-up (does stay up after manual adjustment). My question: Although it has a 7.50 rating on the forum, is it worth repairing? Is it worth anything for parts? I hate to trash anything Pentax, but...!

I have also an Auto Sears MC 1:1.7 50mm that would come with it and an original manual for the ZX-5.

I just am not sure how to list this if I were to sell it?

Last edited by mysterick; 05-15-2021 at 07:23 AM.
05-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The price of picking up another one is low enough that even if could be repaired it wouldn’t be cost effective. I would give it away to someone looking for parts and maybe sell the lens for a little or find it a good home.
05-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #3

Film not advancing is probably the pinion gear on the motor mirror problem (see threads on mirror lockup on the ZX/MX bodies).

Flash popup is the plastic pivot breaking from the constant pressure of the spring. There are DIY fix threads.

Most of the US repair places won't touch the MZ/ZX series for lack of parts. NSB Tekunos in Japan (see threads on them) might. Another member had the mirror lockup problem fixed by NSB Tekunos. They will accept repairs from the US.

I couldn't say if it is worth fixing or not. If you have the time and skills a DIY repair may be worth it. Depending on how much NSB Tekunos will charge plus shipping probably not. I have a MZ/ZX-50 with both problems - I don't think it is worth my time to fix it. I tried to repair the flash but it seems the spring is broken as well. Then I discovered it has the broken mirror gear as well.
05-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Paper weight I guess!? If someone wants it I will send it, the lens and manual for the cost of shipping and handling. I'll list it in the market place.

05-15-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, it's not worth fixing. You can find another ZX/MZ-5 for $30 in eBay...just make sure they say it's working and accept returns. Also make sure there are pictures with the flash up (all the way) and down. I'd stay away from the ZX-5n...I've yet to pick one up that work. The MZ-3 is a nicer camera, but runs around $100 and is susceptible to the same issues. I have a ZX-5 and an MZ-3 that both work but when they die I'll not get another.