Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2021, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Definitely let us know how you get on with it!

she is one gorgeous camera!!! I can't wait to hold it!
right now the only analogue (or semi-analogue) SLR I have is the Minolta X370 and the Minolta hi-matic F <- that one is so easy to use but I haven't developed the film yet.

05-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
¡ Congratulations ¡ A black copy like mine. A wonderful camera , and build as a rock. Hope you enjoy it.
05-25-2021, 11:27 AM - 3 Likes   #18

Here’s mine. Just back from a service by Harrow Technical in UK. The camera was already working perfectly but I wanted it to be refreshed with new seals and mirror bumper etc. Looking forward to putting a film through. My Judas window was not working but this was fixed during the service.

05-25-2021, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice, enjoy! Not that I need it by any means, if there was one more Pentax camera to get, it would be a KX.

05-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'd trade my black MX for a black KX..
05-25-2021, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I'd trade my black MX for a black KX..
Why not one of each?

05-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why not one of each?

Not really diggin' my MX, already have the LX.

05-25-2021, 11:19 PM - 1 Like   #23

I also have the X trilogy. I am undecided on MX vs KX until I shoot the KX.

So far my thoughts are:
MX has a superb bright viewfinder which is much better for focussing, but lousy eye relief and difficult to read exposure information.
KX has one of the dimmest focussing screens out of all of my cameras and the microprism is not easy to use for focussing. The eye relief is better and the meter display is much better.

MX has quite a bit more mirror slap than the KX which is beautifully damped.
MX has smoother film advance (both cameras freshly serviced).

Whatever my final preference I will definitely keep both.
05-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not really diggin' my MX, already have the LX.
It’s funny. I don’t feel the need for a LX because I have a MX

The things to me that are most attractive about the LX, its size and smooth operation, are also there on the MX.
obviously there’s a lot more to a LX, but I don’t need all that.

The KX to me is like a grownup K1000, which is awesome, but different...
But the form factor has that sturdy, beefy feel to it that is very different from a MX or LX

And if you think the KX has a dim viewfinder, you need to try a H1/S1

-Eric
05-26-2021, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It’s funny. I don’t feel the need for a LX because I have a MX

The things to me that are most attractive about the LX, its size and smooth operation, are also there on the MX.
obviously there’s a lot more to a LX, but I don’t need all that.

The KX to me is like a grownup K1000, which is awesome, but different...
But the form factor has that sturdy, beefy feel to it that is very different from a MX or LX

And if you think the KX has a dim viewfinder, you need to try a H1/S1

-Eric
Comparing my LX to my MX.. the LX feels much better in hand, more solid and smoother. The LX has a much nicer shorter throw film advance. The LX has a much better viewfinder - you can actually see all four corners and the exposure information easily at a glance. The LX has a much better exposure information readout - more information and much easier to see. The MX's LEDs disappear in bright light/daylight.
The LX's shutter speed dial is much nicer and easier to use. Bigger, grippier, smooth turning.

I won't go into the AE stuff that the MX obviously doesn't have etc.

The comments about the KX's focus screen being dark/harder to use than the MX is interesting. I haven't tried a KX but for some reason I thought it would have the same screen as in my K2. That screen with microprism only (matte background) is so easy to focus, it just snaps in and out. It is one of the easiest manual focus cameras I have across all brands that I use.
05-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The comments about the KX's focus screen being dark/harder to use than the MX is interesting. I haven't tried a KX but for some reason I thought it would have the same screen as in my K2. That screen with microprism only (matte background) is so easy to focus, it just snaps in and out. It is one of the easiest manual focus cameras I have across all brands that I use.
All the K Series bodies have around the same viewfinder magnification, but the viewfinder is slightly bigger on the K2/K2DMD. (Different focusing screens)

You could also order the KX with a split/micro prism screen, but they are harder to find.

I have all the K Series bodies and the KX is not darker than the others, I've owned mine since in bought it new in 1975. Stick a K50/1.2 on the KX and see how bright the viewfinder is.

Phil.
05-26-2021, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #27

My favourite film camera.

05-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

OP, I clearly see a lot of scratches, a brass spot on the top of the penta prism housing left, and a molested ridge on the right. On the front are several small brassed spots. The mirror damper strip urgently needs to be replaced, and most likely the strips in the back. So this is not Near Mint but Excellent at best. The bottom plate is usually even worse (not shown by OP). Just saying.
05-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who cares if it works... it's enough just to look at it :-D
05-28-2021, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
OP, I clearly see a lot of scratches, a brass spot on the top of the penta prism housing left, and a molested ridge on the right. On the front are several small brassed spots. The mirror damper strip urgently needs to be replaced, and most likely the strips in the back. So this is not Near Mint but Excellent at best. The bottom plate is usually even worse (not shown by OP). Just saying.
And Santa Claus isn't real.