Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2021, 12:31 PM   #1

Pentax Auto 110 Potential Stuck Aperture

I just acquired a Pentax Auto 110 SLR with 2 lenses, auto-wonder, case, and a couple of rolls of film. When I got it, I could not see through the viewfinder, the film advance lever would move about halfway. The aperture diaphragm seems to be shut (or stopped) all the down. There is no light being let through the aperture diaphragm. Therefore I cannot see anything through the viewfinder.

I just bought a pair of brand new Energizer 357/303 1.55v batteries and put an old roll of half-used 110 film that was in the camera.

A solid yellow light shows up in the viewfinder, but nothing happens when I press the shutter button, also, nothing happens when I try to cock the film advance lever. I still cannot see through the viewfinder.
Is this a known problem? How can I fix this really neat camera?

05-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The solid yellow light means the meter is working and there is power...

If I remember right, my Auto 110 did that once... it somehow got itself halfway wound between frames...
I can't look right now because it has film in it, but does it have the little pin that needs to be pushed over by the advancing film for it to cock the shutter properly?
I might be confusing myself with a different 110 camera...

If the mirror is up and you can't see through the lens from the back, that means the shutter is closed (there is no aperture mechanism on the Pentax 110s).
But it's possible the shutter is stuck open and the mirror up - you wouldn't be able to see through the viewfinder, but with no film in it and the back open, you'd be able to see through the lens.

And I guess when you say the aperture mechanism is shut, you're looking at the shutter from the lens side?

-Eric
05-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Last produced 1985.

Maybe some help here:

Pentax 110
05-29-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Mine did that. Spray electrical contact cleaner into the little plunger switch on the top left of the camera (that is utilized when you attach the flash), and into and around the shutter release button.
No need to take anything apart.

Works perfectly now.

Contact cleaner:

amazon.com: CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner -11 Wt Oz: Sports & Outdoors?tag=pentaxforums-20&