Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 184
Just recently picked one up for around USD $260

Also came with a lens and a couple of flashes....haven't put a roll of film through it yet but looking forward to seeing how it performs with a roll of astia and the FA 300mm f2.8.

bazz.

11-28-2008, 02:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Just recently picked one up for around USD $260

Also came with a lens and a couple of flashes....haven't put a roll of film through it yet but looking forward to seeing how it performs with a roll of astia and the FA 300mm f2.8.

bazz.
That's a steal!

Had the camera too, really liked it. But I don't shoot film much nowadays, so only keeping an LX for fun
11-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kalmar
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 127
For me, it's the dream film camera to own. I'd really like to try one, but since I don't shoot film as seriously as I shoot digital I feel that it's quite a high price for the very little I would use it, maybe in the future..

For now, I will go on using my Program A for film shooting!
11-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I find that it is designed to be the most comfortable way to handle a camera. In other words, it's got the best ergonomics. Simple things, like the slanted top plate (what a great idea), buttons where they should be, large dials which are easy to control and access (especially with gloves in cold weather), the 2 second mirror prefire, wireless shutter release and wireless flash functions, a small body size, a great viewfinder, and a nice accessory grip that accepts AA batteries (an important feature for me).

And, for me, the most important thing - not overloading the camera with too many features. When I'm out in the field I don't want to accidentally trigger a setting and not realize it until afterwards. It's easier to do than you'd think.

The only 2 things I wish the MZ-S had are 1) the ability to control aperture via the body instead of the aperture ring and 2) a button that I can push that can instantly spot meter and after a few seconds revert to the default metering method I've set (my MZ-6 can do this).

I like the MZ-S so much I've bought 3 of them, all with the battery grip, acquired over the last few years. I use all 3 of them, too.
three MZ-S, wild ! (Let me know if you wanna let any of them go at some point )
Is the 2 second mirror prefire, easy to set up ?
Good to hear that it is easy to work with gloves.


QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
For me its a missed oppertunity, when I bought the MX-5n I could have afforded the MZ-S (just) but bought the MZ5-n instead. Now I wish I bought the MZ-S....
I have not seen one since as I would love one to accompany my K20D.
I will just have to keep looking.......
When the MZ-S came out, the Z-1P was being fazed out. So that made me jump the Z-1P, as I would like to see, if I felt 4 fps was needed, and the dual wheel is very nice feature as well. I might get the MZ-S at a later point though. (But first I'm looking for one of the manual focus Pentax SLR)

11-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
I've used it - only two rolls were shot through it by the original owner before he went to digital. Got this setup basically new for a mere $499 (with the grip). According to my MZ-S manual, it's a magnesium alloy chassis... I am guessing titanium would be mighty expensive!!

Images:





Also have the TS-110 Timer. It's really a great setup with the grip. The AF is very fast, and as stated, some things might be better, and I've yet to really test mine with faster subjects, since I primarily shoot digital now. I am not sure about the back door being completely plastic, since it has two metal reinforcing bars on the inside, IIRC. It's currently at a local shop to act as the testing body for a lens issue I've got with an older AF Tokina 80-400, so I cannot confirm.

I am considering shooting some of the upcoming Civil War Reenactment with the MZ-S and the FA* 300/2.8 and FA* 80-200/2.8 with Ilford B/W film.

Regards,
Marc
Is the quartz date feature of any use ?
(I had a point and shoot film cam, which printed the date and such on the pictures in the corner. Not very helpful from an aesthetic point of view .)

I like though that it is possible on the MZ-S, to have aperture and shutter value printed, between the negatives.


With the K20, do you still need the NIB TS-110 Timer ?
11-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Marc Langille's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Posts: 4,702
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Is the quartz date feature of any use ?
(I had a point and shoot film cam, which printed the date and such on the pictures in the corner. Not very helpful from an aesthetic point of view .)

I like though that it is possible on the MZ-S, to have aperture and shutter value printed, between the negatives.


With the K20, do you still need the NIB TS-110 Timer ?
Hi Sune,

I don't normally use the Quartz date feature, since it's aesthetic value is not very high.

QD would would only be useful for documentation type work: insurance claims, crime scenes, etc. However the "anolog EXIF" (as I like to call it ) is very useful - it's actually printed between the sprocket holes just above the negative. Really sweet idea. I noticed if you use MRC frame advance it can blur the imprinting just a tad, but that was only tried on one roll of film, so it's not a valid test.

Theoretically, no timer is needed with the K20D - it has a built in intervalometer and the connector is completely different. I am not sure if all the functions of the TS-110 are in the K20D intervalometer though?

Either way, I'd have to splice and re-wire the TS-110 to work with a DSLR. I did buy a second TS-110 connector though, and may try wiring it through to the CS-205 stereo style plug. Not sure if it will work, so I am researching. There was a good post on this last October - near the end of the month that I put up on the TS-110. I bought it last year NIB! Here's the thread and the thoughts that went along with the post - it may be useful to others:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/13923-rare-find-indeed.html

Regards,
Marc
12-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
Surely the MZ-S is one of the sexiest cameras around. I'm vowing to pick one up this year, preferably with grip, and maybe the 24-90mm zoom, and maybe the FA50.

Still, it also reminds me of the things that could not be:

12-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,399
I was looking for old brochures scans over the internet last week and did come across a review of the MZ-S. I agree that it looks very, very comfortable to use and it piqued my interest. When funds allow it and if there are still people selling that, I'd definitely be interested to pick one up.

12-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Sune,

I don't normally use the Quartz date feature, since it's aesthetic value is not very high.

QD would would only be useful for documentation type work: insurance claims, crime scenes, etc. However the "anolog EXIF" (as I like to call it ) is very useful - it's actually printed between the sprocket holes just above the negative. Really sweet idea. I noticed if you use MRC frame advance it can blur the imprinting just a tad, but that was only tried on one roll of film, so it's not a valid test.

Theoretically, no timer is needed with the K20D - it has a built in intervalometer and the connector is completely different. I am not sure if all the functions of the TS-110 are in the K20D intervalometer though?

Either way, I'd have to splice and re-wire the TS-110 to work with a DSLR. I did buy a second TS-110 connector though, and may try wiring it through to the CS-205 stereo style plug. Not sure if it will work, so I am researching. There was a good post on this last October - near the end of the month that I put up on the TS-110. I bought it last year NIB! Here's the thread and the thoughts that went along with the post - it may be useful to others:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/13923-rare-find-indeed.html

Regards,
Marc
Ok thanks. I thought you bought the TS-110, as it also could be used on the K10, (besides your MZ-S).

Every time Iíve considered a MZ-5 (N) or MZ-3, Iíve always taking it against them, if they had the Data body feature. And was curious why every MZ-S came with this, but of cause it can always just be turned off. (I do see that for documentary work, it might be good).

The "anolog EXIF" imprint is superb, exactly the thing that is good with digital now. One of the big Proís of the MZ-S. (Just like the Medium Format Pentax cams have).

To have a dedicated timer in the TS-110, might be easier than going by the menus in K20, but I donít know, havenít got either
12-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #25
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 828
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
three MZ-S, wild ! (Let me know if you wanna let any of them go at some point )
Is the 2 second mirror prefire, easy to set up ?
Good to hear that it is easy to work with gloves.
Yes the 2 second MLU is easy to set up. You do it through the Pentax Functions. It works exactly the same way as it does in the PZ-1P.

No, I'm not going to sell any of mine. In fact I just bought another one, with grip. I actually think film will stage a renaissance in the future and this camera will be in greater demand.

Even right now the MZ-S/grip combo sells for about the same price as a used F5. Pretty impressive.
12-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,468
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Surely the MZ-S is one of the sexiest cameras around.
It really is. Most of the more modern designs don't do much in particular for me, (an exception being what Lumix puts out, but their SLRs wouldn't be much of a match for me) ...but that one... Woo.
12-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 647
Pentax MZ-S - one of the finest 35mm SLRs built!

I was excited to hear that others love their MZ-S. I recently acquired one on eBay for $600.00 (body and BG10 only). It is in near-mint condition and I already have another so I was worth the price (about 1/2 what I paid in 2000).

I also own a Nikon F80QD and I must tell you, the Pentax MZ-S is vastly superior to that Nikon. Most of my lens investment is in the PK type so the Nikon only gets used when I use my amazing wide-angle Nikor lens (have yet to find a wide angle as good as this).

I will admit that the plastic back on the MZ-S was a little disconcerting, especially considering that the rest of the camera is so solid. Why? But on the bright side, it is easily replaced (simple removable hinge) so.... I think it is a good idea to have a spare, although I have owned one MZ-S since 2000 and have taken over 2000 photos from around the world. It's been banged around a lot and still performs flawlessly!

Still, there is a LOT more plastic on my Nikon F80QD and I think I paid more for this camera.

I noticed a few are looking for the MZ-S. I will keep an eye out for another when I search eBay for any MZ-S and K20D accessories. Specifically, I would love to purchase a digital timer (preferably one that works with both cameras).

Best,
Doug
12-11-2008, 02:19 AM   #28
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: sydney,australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6
mz-s beautiful

have to agree with previous posts, a really beautiful camera to use. ultra modern curves get plenty of enquiring looks .a wonderfully reliable meter and spot on focus , love to use it with my old m series lenses.
12-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member
Mechan1k's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,883
There's one on KEH at the moment for $499 in EX condition
12-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #30
Veteran Member
Jimfear's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 576
Damn... should have read this thread two days ago...

Just recently saw a MZ-S in very good condition for around $200. I'm not interested in AF so I didn't care about it. Now hearing that it can go for $500 I could have made good business of it.

I'll take it next time one comes along at that price
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, level, mz-s, oz, pentax, pz-1p, zx-5n
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top