Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #1

My image's are split in two

I have two Spotmatics and both have been CLAd and are mint... So it has to be down to me... What I doing wrong?
I develop my film and there it is, my favorite image is split... I do notice that the side where the film canister is at.. that when I advance to the next Frame, I will watch the dial turn and it's not responsive like it has slack.
What can I do?

06-18-2021, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

What do you mean split? Like overlapping frames? That what happens when it doesn't advance as much as it is supposed to. Are you possibly hitting the little button on the bottom of the camera when winding? (That's the button that allows you to cock the camera without advancing the film to make double exposures.) Or is that button getting stuck depressed?
06-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possibly the double exposure button on bottom not being released or sticking.
06-19-2021, 12:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless the frame spacing is random, one of them might have a half crank rewind modification. It is very uncommon in SLRs to have this but with rangefinders, half crank mechanisms have been around for a long time. It supposedly makes the winding mechanism more precise and quieter.

06-19-2021, 12:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
The border will be in the middle of the next frame... It's hard to describe. I watch the top of the camera as I advance the lever and the knob on top of the camera above the film canister seems like there is slack in the film as it doesn't turn as it should as I'm advancing the lever. Uuugh... That's confusing, gotta be.
It could be that button on the bottom... It's in a bad spot and I could be pushing it.
06-19-2021, 05:46 AM   #6

Can you post a scan or photo of some of the negatives? With some backlighting if a photo?
06-19-2021, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Evertking Quote
Uuugh... That's confusing, gotta be.
It could be that button on the bottom... It's in a bad spot and I could be pushing it.
If that’s the case a half case for the camera will solve that.

06-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Can you post a scan or photo of some of the negatives? With some backlighting if a photo?
This would be very helpful.
06-19-2021, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Unless the frame spacing is random, one of them might have a half crank rewind modification. It is very uncommon in SLRs to have this but with rangefinders, half crank mechanisms have been around for a long time. It supposedly makes the winding mechanism more precise and quieter.
The Spotmatic has ratchet wind, but the shutter should not be releasable until the curtains home to the fully cocked position.

Steve
06-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I will watch the dial turn and it's not responsive like it has slack.
Make sure the sprocket holes on the film are fully engaged with the drive cogs before closing the back. It is those cogs that move the film.

Steve
06-19-2021, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Make sure the sprocket holes on the film are fully engaged with the drive cogs before closing the back. It is those cogs that move the film.
Yes - and that the film is actually caught up with the sprocket holes (I think you are OK there, seeing things turn), AND not tearing out the film holes! I once shot 36 frames on top of each other because the film got torn and did not advance. I think the photo editor of the Carnegie Tech student newspaper was not impressed with my skills (all the way back in 1964!).
06-20-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The border will be in the middle of the next frame... It's hard to describe. I watch the top of the camera as I advance the lever and the knob on top of the camera above the film canister seems like there is slack in the film as it doesn't turn as it should as I'm advancing the lever. Uuugh... That's confusing, gotta be.
Seems that your film transport is not working properly.
Try it without film in the camera, open the back and check the following:
- Rewind button is popped out
- Sprocket-hole roller doesn't move freely (especially clockwise)
- When you wind the film, the film roller should rotate 1 full revolution

If the rewind button if pushed you might be able to free it using a bamboo stick to bend it back to the center

Last edited by titrisol; 06-20-2021 at 09:42 AM.
06-20-2021, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The border is determined by the spacing as the film is advanced. It sounds like it is only advancing it partially with each attempt.
I had a Voigtlander Bessa L that the film transport broke - brand new camera! - and so it would not fully advance the film, just cock the shutter.
06-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #14

Original Poster
Ok, I think I found the problem and it's more than likely ME... What am I doing wrong???
I had 3 rolls of Kodak Gold and I load them up and I was paying close attention to make sure the rewind knob was turning as I advanced the film and it's not... To me, when I load the film it seems like there is too much slack when I close the back. I tried turning the rewind knob to take up the slack but I just mess it all up and have to fire like 5 frames off before the slack is gone and the rewind knob turns and let's me know that the film is moving. Is this user error? I checked the parts with out the film in and seems fine. It has to be me, cause the problem happens with both Mint and CLAd Spotmatics
06-23-2021, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I think I found the problem and it's more than likely ME... What am I doing wrong???
I had 3 rolls of Kodak Gold and I load them up and I was paying close attention to make sure the rewind knob was turning as I advanced the film and it's not... To me, when I load the film it seems like there is too much slack when I close the back. I tried turning the rewind knob to take up the slack but I just mess it all up and have to fire like 5 frames off before the slack is gone and the rewind knob turns and let's me know that the film is moving. Is this user error? I checked the parts with out the film in and seems fine. It has to be me, cause the problem happens with both Mint and CLAd Spotmatics
BEFORE you load the film, grasp the leader in one hand and turn the spool on the film canister the correct direction to wind the film back into the canister. Don't actually wind it in but make sure any slack has been removed. Now try to load it and see what happens. If you can get a cheap roll of film you don't care about you can practice with the camera open with some cameras.