Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Packaging is easier to counterfeit than the product itself. That's why Sony and others have taken to putting holograms on the packages.

Take a look at the packaging for this "Pentax" battery. Looks genuine. But look closely at the "Hoya Corportion" on the battery.
Pentax D-LI90 Battery For PENTAX K-3 K-7 K-7D K-5 K-5 II K5 IIS K01 645D Camera | eBay

Big stores get ripped off too. All it takes is someone in the supply chain to make a side deal and the fakes can end up on the shelves.

06-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I don't buy Duracells unless that's all they've got.
Energizers are far more reliable.
+1 for Energizers!

A local stores also has Varta Silver Oxide and they are good as well.

Varta MS76 SR44 G13 V76PX 1.55 volt Silver Oxide Battery | Freestyle Photo & Imaging

Phil.
06-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
We all know - right? - to avoid those alkaline 1.5v button cells that fit in so many of our cameras.
I didn't know this was a thing, so thanks for the heads up. I will go and check my button batteries now.
06-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Do the SR44s last a considerably longer time than LR44?
They do, and the discharge curve is more camera friendly

06-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
That's the thing, I bought Duracells because I did not want to risk cheap batteries.
Seems it made no difference, apart from cost more.

Edit - this has happened several times now, this last time was the one that made me post about it as an FYI.
Last year about this time, I made a purchase from an online store of what were supposed to be 20 "made in USA" Excell SR44 cells. What I got was an unlabeled card of generic Chinese LR44. I was refunded, but felt stung, non-the-less.

Steve
06-29-2021, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is that SR44s last 3 times longer and cost twice as much. My "test" was a while ago but current experience seems to give the same results.
06-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Do the SR44s last a considerably longer time than LR44?
Yes.

They last longer and hold constant voltage longer. And don't leak.

06-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Last year about this time, I made a purchase from an online store of what were supposed to be 20 "made in USA" Excell SR44 cells. What I got was an unlabeled card of generic Chinese LR44. I was refunded, but felt stung, non-the-less.

Steve
That was a full on bait n switch. Very dishonest.
07-04-2021, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
OOF, I bought a strip of Renata SR44 and 384s a while ago in Amazon
Keep 2 of them them in a mini-altoids tin in my camera-bag

And when I needed to buy LRs, they have not been that bad but didn;t last long either

PS I iss RadioShack! their batteries never failed me
I once had a Radio Shack flashlight with Radio Shack batteries.

When the batteries corroded (guaranteed not to or they would replace the flashlight) in the flashlight, I took it back.

They refused to replace it since I had left the batteries in the flashlight... really... so my experience there is not as good...

I have not had terribly good luck with long life on either LR44 or SR44 batteries purchased from large online retailers.
But the prices have historically been so low compared to local shops (1 local battery for about the same price as 4-8 online batteries), I've kept buying them online.
I suspect many of the batteries I end up with are counterfeit or old (despite "fresh" in the adverts... maybe that's like "minty")

And I seem to have accumulated a large number of other tiny electronic doodads that use LR44/SR44 batteries, so I need a lot of them anyway...

-Eric