Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What makes the *istD so good with MF lenses?

Question for the group:

I've read over the months several postings that credit the *ist D with being the best Pentax Digital SLR for use with manual lenses, both K mount and M42 mount.

Why is this?

Is it good enough to warrant buying one if you already have a K10D? I have a pretty substantial collection of Takumar glass at this point.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

germar

12-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I recall that the istD metering is more accurate than the K10/K20 when using manual aperture lenses.
12-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure it's the TTL metering for flash. You can't use P-TTL flash with the older lenses.
12-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, the *istD is still the camera I use and I use if with manual lenses and Takumars etc...

1) The stop down (green button) metering seems to be pretty accurate. I understand there are problems with some of the K series cameras in this respect.

2) It supports TTL flash (off the sensor measuring). This means my 280 and 330 flashes work effectively in this mode.

3) It easily handles a 30v flash. I typically use a 20v Olympus T1 flash unit (ring flash). Not sure how the later cameras fair in this regard, but if I ever upgrade it is a point I'll need to check.

cheers

Greg

12-02-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wirrah Quote
for what it's worth, the *istd is still the camera i use and i use if with manual lenses and takumars etc...

1) the stop down (green button) metering seems to be pretty accurate. I understand there are problems with some of the k series cameras in this respect.

2) it supports ttl flash (off the sensor measuring). This means my 280 and 330 flashes work effectively in this mode.

3) it easily handles a 30v flash. I typically use a 20v olympus t1 flash unit (ring flash). Not sure how the later cameras fair in this regard, but if i ever upgrade it is a point i'll need to check.

Cheers

greg

you the man Greg
12-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reelitupandup Quote
this is a film slr category, so why are you talking about inferior digital???
I posted under the wrong topic, my apologies to the group. However, I do appreciate your excellent responses.

germar
12-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh my ist-D I love that thing, still to the day, I bring it out and shoot with it when I want something compact and powerful, but light and dont need the 14+mp or the faster AF of the K20 (or the 10mp of the K10)
I do agree it tends to work better with manual lenses, esp like a lensbaby.
Why? prob cus all of us guys yelled for a firmware to make it easy to use the lenses on the thing, and they came out with a robust upgrade

12-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
I posted under the wrong topic, my apologies to the group. However, I do appreciate your excellent responses.

germar
Look at it this way. Purchasing the *istD re-ignited my interest in photography in all its forms. I now have and use (many have been serviced) Pentax SV, SP, SPF, ME Super, LX, P30, SFXn & MZ5. As well as my OM2n & OM1, Cosina CT-7, Ricoh KR10 Super, Yashica D, Mamiya 645 etc...

So I guess there is a film camera connection

Which reminds me. It's time to get the Edixa Reflex B out for a run!
12-03-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
its all been said

TTL flash is the biggest, then metering accuracy (over K10D and K20D) but you can fix that by putting an *istD screen into the newer camera.

I did this and tested it, and can replicate the *istD exposure / metering on a K10D by making that change.

If you really want MF, get a split image, but I don't have a good feel for metering impacts.
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i forgot one thing

the *istD lets you dial in exposure correction even in manual, so if a lens is consistent in over or under exposure, you can "tune it out"

The K10D won't let you do that