Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

Prism desilvering

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey everyone! So I pulled out my Pentax K1000 the other day for the first time in about ten years. Was hoping to get into shooting a little film again. However I found something that I had recently been reading about being a problem on these Chinese made cameras. The prism had unfortunately started to desilver. I’ve been doing research on this and learned a lot about it and what can be done. But I haven’t seen anyone say Whether or not the camera is still usable. When I look through the viewfinder it really doesn’t bother me that much. And I’m pretty sure it won’t affect the image. But will it affect the metering at all? Everything else about the camera is still good so if I can tolerate a little ink blot I will until I figure out if I want to do anything about it. Thanks!

09-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I am not an expert by any means, but, the 2 meter cells take the measurements from behind the pentaprism to each side of the viewfinder. So I would assume that desilvering will have an effect in metering. Now, how much of an impact? That will depend on the severity of the desilvering. You say it doesn't bother you much, so I'm thinking you can still see most of the image. In that case, Other than the inconvenience and possibly some over exposure reading, I don't see any other impact as it will not have any effect on the image taken. I'd try a test roll and see if you need to adjust (most likely underexpose) to compensate. Also keep in mind negative film has a considerable latitude that will tolerate some exposure variations, so it may not even need correction.
There is a 3rd meter cell that will turn the meter on and off. If the desilvering is bad enough that this cell doesn't read then the meter will seem dead. But then, it will also mean you can't see much at all either.
Most importantly, go out and have fun with it!

Thanks,
Ismael
09-13-2021, 05:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K1000Guy Quote
Hey everyone! So I pulled out my Pentax K1000 the other day for the first time in about ten years. Was hoping to get into shooting a little film again. However I found something that I had recently been reading about being a problem on these Chinese made cameras. The prism had unfortunately started to desilver. I’ve been doing research on this and learned a lot about it and what can be done. But I haven’t seen anyone say Whether or not the camera is still usable. When I look through the viewfinder it really doesn’t bother me that much. And I’m pretty sure it won’t affect the image. But will it affect the metering at all? Everything else about the camera is still good so if I can tolerate a little ink blot I will until I figure out if I want to do anything about it. Thanks!
I don't know if a process like this is even feasible for a prism?
How to Resilver a Mirror | LoveToKnow

Alternate solution, https://youtu.be/1OvzJGSWkao

Last edited by SharkyCA; 09-13-2021 at 05:47 AM.
09-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K1000Guy Quote
I'm guessing a spotmatic prism will fit a K1000. You can pick up a parts body for $20 or less and swap prisms.

09-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I'm guessing a spotmatic prism will fit a K1000. You can pick up a parts body for $20 or less and swap prisms.
Even a used K1000 isn't that expensive to steal a prism from (or just replace your existing camera), assuming you get one which doesn't have the same issue.

PENTAX K1000 35mm SLR Film Camera with 50 mm lens Kit + Extras 27075045002 | eBay

Also see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/318347-k100...questions.html
09-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never tried this but found this on a quick Giggle search:
The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Silvering prisms