Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super Program shutter capping

I occasionally check my cameras at max shutter speed for capping as it's a sign of need for CLA. One of my Super Programs is capping at 1/1000 and 1/2000. I see no light coming through at either speed. Other speeds seem ok. I would expect I need a CLA to fix this, but does anyone know a DIY method to fix this? I've got 2 other Super Programs that work fine so I'm not sure I want to spend any money getting this one fixed.

10-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you hear the shutter parts move? Your eyes may not be able to detect those speeds, electronic sensors are usually needed.
10-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Do you hear the shutter parts move? Your eyes may not be able to detect those speeds, electronic sensors are usually needed.
I can see light pass with my other 2 Super Programs and usually I can see 1/1000 with most cameras. I can't tell if the speed is accurate or curtain movement is even, but I can detect capping. In this camera I see no light at all, so curtain 1 is hanging up and curtain 2 is caught up right at the top. By 1/500th I can see light.

I was just wondering if there was some technique reachable in the bottom that might solve this. I expect not, that it will need some shutter cleaning or a release magnet cleaning or something like that. It's too bad because the camera is mint otherwise.

10-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well you could just spend $8 on the service manual:
Pentax Super-Program Service Manual Parts List | Film Camera | USCameraUSCamera