Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2021, 03:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MZ-3 Issues after replacing mirror motor gear

Hi all,

having been successful with my first mirror gear repair on an MZ-5N, I thought I'd try buying a cheap "spares or repair" MZ-3 on Ebay to repair. All was going fine, but at about the time I got the motor plate out, I noticed this small metal part on my bench (in below photograph with the old mirror wheel and flash board screw for scaling). I have no idea what it is or where it is from, or even whether it is a whole part or a piece that has broken off another component.

Having been unable to identify it, I decided to complete the repair and see what, if any, functions its absence may affect. Now the camera is back together, there are three issues:

• Shutter won't release from the button. Button activates meter and autofocus. Shutter works fine from remote switch
  • Camera does not recognise "A" series lenses and remains in AV mode at F22 when the lens is set to "A" (although things not working as intended troubles me, this is something I can live with)
  • Some dead leds on the viewfinder display shutter speed and aperture readings.

Any or all of these could have been faults with the camera when I bought it. Could any though be due to this missing part, or something I may have done during the repair?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attached Images

11-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #2

You can buy the MZ/ZX-5 service manual from USCamera.com. This is used to cover most of the MZ/ZX models and the MZ-3 is based on the MZ-5n. No guarantee that it is applicable to the MZ-3. There should be an exploded parts diagram in the manual.

But where are you going to get a replacement part if it is broken?
12-06-2021, 02:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Not a Number (I think I'll call you No.6). I found service manuals and parts lists for MZ-5, MZ-10, MZ-50 and MZ-M at this useful site: https://learncamerarepair.com/index.php. None threw any light on the origin of the mystery part though. Since doing the MZ-3, I did my original MZ-n's mirror motor in the hope I would spot the part in the process, but no luck. I did, however, effect a succesful repair on the MZ-5n.

I have two donor MZ-5n bodies, partially disassembled. I think I'll complete disassembly of one of these and see if I can find the mystery part that way. Whether it helps or not I don't know, as it can't be reponsible for both the shutter only being operable from the remote and for the body not to recognise an "A" series lens in "A" mode. As I said in my original post, I bought the body for "spares or repair" and these may be other faults that it came with.

Thanks for your help. I will post if ever I find it.
12-06-2021, 04:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It looks like a small edge piece of a circuit board, one which serves to hold it in place by fitting it's "teeth" around something else. Is it plastic or metal?

To be honest I have no confidence in any MZ series cameras as they are so lightly built. Good luck in repairing the faults though.

12-07-2021, 02:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jonathan. the part is metal and looks like it is entire, rather than a part of something. I will pay attention to where the circuit boards fit when I strip down the MZ-5n body.

I agree the MZ series are a bit flimsy, but I really like using them, specifically those with more analogue controls.