Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
You could try looking for a second-hand Konica Minolta Dimage IV. I've had one for years, love it. 16-bit, up to 16x overscan, 3200dpi. Very solid and well-designed neg holder. No IR speck removal, but the Healing Brush in PS is better anyway.
Ok, so you don't use the scanners 'dust removal' feature, but Photo Shop instead?

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
The scans are sometimes a little magenta-y, I always do a bit of pp afterwards.

Scanning negatives is tricky, even b&w. I usually scan as colour positive and convert later. The supplied software is good (get the updated version online though), I've tried Vuescan with it and was not impressed, scans were soft.

12-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Ok, so you don't use the scanners 'dust removal' feature, but Photo Shop instead?
The scanner software has an optional automatic software-based dust removal feature, but it's rubbish, like most are. I prefer to use the Healing brush in Photoshop because it's the only form of dust and scratch removal that is truly invisible and completely controllable. On really dirty scans I selectively use the brilliant but flawed Polaroid dust and scratch remover (available free on the net), mainly on large, out-of-focus or low-contrast areas (keeping a sharp eye out for artifacts), then I work critical areas with the Healing brush. I use a Wacom tablet for speed.