Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2021, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a big fan of the Z-1p also and have several.
One thing about "repairs allowed, spare cameras aren't"... At some point the person doing the repair is using spare bodies for parts.

For me the answer is the Exakta VX. I can disassemble and reassemble with my eyes closed, I can make shutter curtains, and I can replace most any part. But I still need a parts body sometimes. Curtain rollers have springs that wear out. Slow speed mechanisms pivots on a main spring. These parts are not fixable, only replaceable.

The same can be said for any mechanical Pentax.

11-19-2021, 05:51 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In an alternate universe where I could only have one . . . model . . . it would have to be the LX of course . . .

11-19-2021, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on which alternate universe.

I have great sentimental attraction to my K1000 because it was my first "real" camera, but I shoot with the H1a and MX more than the K1000...
Objectively, the MX would be the choice in an alternate universe where I still had digital to use.
It just has a great combination of ergonomics and features.

If it were my only image capture device, and it had to be film, it would be the ZX-L (assuming I could keep it running) or the PZ1-P (if I couldn't).
There are days when I want the camera to do more of the lifting... and the ZX-L just has really nice ergonomics and a solid feature set.

Of my medium format history, It would probably be the Rollei, as everything awesome is in one little box, but a Hasse 503 maybe, for the TTL flash (I had a 500 years ago).
I've shot with both Pentax medium format cameras, but I've never owned one. I love the ergonomics of the 645, but the 67 is such an awesome beast.
And if it were truly only one, I'd stick with the 35mm cameras because they're more versatile for the way I shoot.

-Eric
11-19-2021, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Nikon F2s.
For me the F2a. I always felt the leds in the s were a little nervous. I liked the match needle in the F2a better. I dropped mine 3’ onto a concrete floor and it dented the bottom but no other damage.

---------- Post added 11-19-21 at 09:02 PM ----------

I’m also a huge fan of the pz-1. I never owned a pz-1p.

11-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I owned two film Pentax cameras - a “ME/SE” that got damp at Niagara Falls - and a “Super Program” that I used for over twelve years; it would have to be the the “Super Program” since I trashed the “ME/SE” when it was deemed to be unrepairable”. I would have happily used either one for the rest of my life. Yes, I would miss AF, and there is no film that would match the KP that I have now become used to. If I went back to film, I might also go back to ‘M’ lenses.

Last edited by reh321; 11-19-2021 at 09:04 PM.
11-19-2021, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
However, the first roll of film through the old professional workhorse, the immersive feel of the large 6x7cm negative means I would chose a late model 67II, clunk
Yep that would be my Medium Format film camera choice as well.

Phil.
11-20-2021, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #22

I think I would choose my Leica R6.2. It is reasonably compact, yet still has a satisfying heft. The lenses are beautifully made. The viewfinder ergonomics are second to none for a fully manual camera. Serviceability in the future is perhaps a challenge, but I do not shoot a lot in harsh environments.

If there is a zombie apocalypse I would probably choose my Nikon F2AS, which has just been fully serviced by Sover Wong.

Last edited by andrewd; 11-20-2021 at 07:34 AM.
11-20-2021, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
I think I would choose my Leica R6.2. It is reasonably compact, yet still has a satisfying heft. The lenses are beautifully made. The viewfinder ergonomics are second to none for a fully manual camera. Serviceability in the future is perhaps a challenge, but I do not shoot a lot in harsh environments.

If there is a zombie apocalypse I would probably choose my Nikon F2AS, which has just been fully serviced by Sover Wong.
I picked up an F2s in like new condition from a Japanese collector 15 years ago. I now have my dream Nikon kit, the F2s, 35mm, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 105/2.5.
I've even used it.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-20-2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Wrong focal length listed
11-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I suppose for me another issue is do I want to use K mount lenses. If I just wanted use M42 lenses (which would include my Tamron's) then it's a different decision to using the whole lot. Also, I guess it depends whether you've been strong minded enough to have a few really good lenses or have been accumulating them good or bad like a squirrel and nuts - I'm afraid I'm the latter.

A good point about sooner or later repair people will have to cannibalize spare cameras - I hadn't thought that through.
11-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
I suppose for me another issue is do I want to use K mount lenses. If I just wanted use M42 lenses (which would include my Tamron's) then it's a different decision to using the whole lot. Also, I guess it depends whether you've been strong minded enough to have a few really good lenses or have been accumulating them good or bad like a squirrel and nuts - I'm afraid I'm the latter.

A good point about sooner or later repair people will have to cannibalize spare cameras - I hadn't thought that through.
Nobody will cannibalize my “Super Program” as long as I am alive!!
It is very good just as it is.
11-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
I never quite got the MX - in fact I had one and gave it away to a son of a friend who was taking a photographic course. For me the KX (I had one back then, it was stolen) or the K2 are far better cameras.

The LX is in a different class. I have never had one so can't directly compare. Ditto the top end MZ's, but on paper they don't compare to the Z-1p, and there is the reliability issue. I can't see any good reason I'd pay out for any of them given the Z's.

I was thinking of a 35mm SLR, true. No experience of the more professional cameras outside of that.

And anyway it's only a bit of fun to pass a tolerably miserable November night - We no doubt all have our own favourites and reasons therefore, but that's what enthusiasm is all about.
Yes the realibility issue on the MZ is a downer. Loved the MZ5n, not so much the MZ7. But the 5 died wifh the mirror failure.

The K1000 was the only K series i used and when i used it i was always comparing it to my memory of the Spotmatic F that i started photography with and found it lacking. I had used a MX at a job while still using the F and liked it. I have relatively small hands and shoot mostly medium format hence did want something small but with less auto then the MZ series.
11-20-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
It depends on which alternate universe.
Because in this universe, we have a choice from the best . . .

11-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote

A company I used to work for sold a Unix box that had such a "satisfying heft" provided for by a couple of bricks mounted inside bottom. ! I was preparing it for installation and when I opened it I could not believe this was actually a thing! I suppose it had to have "heft" in order to warrant the hefty price tag of just the hardware.

It is interesting to see the change in of heft in the cameras through the years . . .

11-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I picked up an F2s in like new condition from a Japanese collector 15 years ago. I now have my dream Nikon kit, the F2s, 35mm, 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 105/2.5.
I've even used it.

That's a terrific kit; one that should last a lifetime.

I now own a trio of Nikon F2 bodies, each with a different finder (DP-1, DP-3 and DE-1).

Chris
11-21-2021, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
A company I used to work for sold a Unix box that had such a "satisfying heft" provided for by a couple of bricks mounted inside bottom. ! I was preparing it for installation and when I opened it I could not believe this was actually a thing! I suppose it had to have "heft" in order to warrant the hefty price tag of just the hardware.

It is interesting to see the change in of heft in the cameras through the years . . .

I think the sweet spot is around 650g for a 35mm SLR body with the lenses I typically shoot with. The lighter cameras are certainly more comfortable to walk around with but I find I get more consistently sharp results if the camera body has a bit more mass. For lenses >100mm even more mass helps.

I don’t believe in tripods for 35mm, for slow considered shots where technical perfection is needed I would take a medium format camera.