Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
vlo
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
looks like the LX had that build that i want. I'm going to do a bit more research, but I was also reading a few months back about the Pz-1P and that seemed like an awesome body, but it looked to have a plastic build, and I definitely want a pro grade build
Hi.

Pz-1P was at the time the pro model of the Pentax stable and was built to last. I am quite happy with it, but be sure to get a Pz-1P, not plain Pz-1.
I also tried Mz-S but I found the ergonomics inferior compared to Pz-1p but that, I quess, is a matter of taste.
Pz-1p can be had quite cheap at ebay.

vlo

12-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Why not the smallest one ? an *ist...

size isnt a deciding factor for me in a camera.....

i sometimes self contract out to a company that makes me shoot on a one-series canon, throw on that white 70-200 2.8 is, a flash bracket, quantum turbo pack, radio....
That rig ways 12 pounds.

I think I will be ok with a burly pentax film body. 8)

another note...i think my k10d's are a bit tiny.
12-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
edl
Veteran Member

Get a PZ1P, you won't be dissapointed. It's like a K10D but more substantial.

Here's a pic of mines:

12-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that is definitely pretty sweet lookin

how does the position of the hotshoe treat the shadows?

12-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that is definitely pretty sweet lookin

how does the position of the hotshoe treat the shadows?
My understanding of the strange SF & Z/PZ bodies hotshoe position is that despite its weird appearance it was a pretty good idea. In addition to allowing for a large central LCD it allowed for simultaneous use of the built-in and accessory flash (good for contrast control). Also, in portrait orientation an accessory flash could still be a little above the lens rather than next to it.
12-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The PZ-1P looks pretty decent ... my sister-in-law mentioned she has a Pentax SLR "somewhere" that she doesn't use anymore ... she is not exactly sure on the model name though ... but said to me if she can find it I can have it to play with.

So will see how it goes ... I am presuming it will be one of the later model film SLRs ... even though I'd like to get my hands on a Spotty or ES if possible ... but hey ... if she can find hers ... I'll be happy to play around with it (good thing I have a spare M42 adaptor in my kit.)
12-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

woohoo!!

while i thought the appearance of the z1p was plasticky from pictures i was kinda sad. im really hard on everything i touch and i need that rugged body. if it was designed for rugged pro use...WOOHOO!
that is the one i wanted..

thanks man

Here is a picture from one of my trips to Norway, where I brought along the Z-1P.
It is me on the right, and in the backpack, (out side to the right), is the hot water canister / coffee container that later didnít make it :

I would say that Iím pretty demanding of the gear I use, but if I functions the way it should; I tend to stay pretty loyal with what works out.

The Pro Mattias Klum, had Z-1Pís, LXís and Pentax medium format cams, on his 6 months assignment for NGM to Borneo :

(He is now using Nikon, there is more info on his site :
Klum Photography - online photo shop )
12-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #23

To Answer Your MZ-S Question

in manual mode on the mz-s can i set the aperture with the wheel?

i really only shoot in M anyway so it shouldnt be a weakness if i cant use Av with the DA* lenses on the mz-s
No, the MZ-S does not have a way to set the apeture on a DA or FA-J lens. You can only shoot DA lenses wide open.
Love my PZ-1P, highly recommended and a perfect film companion to the KXXD. The front and rear wheels are exactly the same. I also like the placement of the flash hot shoe. In addition to the other comments about using internal and external flashes and the portrait advantages, I find that the camera is easier to hold with one hand with the external flash attached. The weight is over your hand so less leverage.

12-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pz-1p it is! 8)

....too bad it's winter time and i dont have enough clients to fund a new cam purchase right now. i'm going to have to do some hard budgeting so that in the future, whenever i have kids, im going to be able to buy them some xmas presents...

this 'being broke' stuff blows

wish me luck
12-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With an MZ-S you don't have to shoot DA lenses wide open. You can use Tv mode or program mode, and the camra will controll the aperture. you just CANNOT use Av or M mode.
12-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
With an MZ-S you don't have to shoot DA lenses wide open. You can use Tv mode or program mode, and the camra will controll the aperture. you just CANNOT use Av or M mode.
neither does the PZ-1/p

it will shoot anything you can twist on to it.

I have even shot with my sigma APO 10-20 EX DC vignetting stops at about 13mm.

When I first got my *istD (with the FA-J 18-35) I used the 18-35 on my PZ1 for ultra wide shots

the only drawback I can see with either the PZ-1 or the PZ-1p is the tendancy after using a DSLR to look at the back and wait for the image to appear. Controls are so similar.
12-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the only drawback I can see with either the PZ-1 or the PZ-1p is the tendancy after using a DSLR to look at the back and wait for the image to appear. Controls are so similar.
I have the same problem with my *ist, I can't believe it cannot show me the photo
12-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

It's not just the controls- I've chimped on my Ricoh manual film camera!
12-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
It's not just the controls- I've chimped on my Ricoh manual film camera!
You tell me. I'm chimping on any camera I hold now, even the Instamatic I bought a couple of weeks ago.
12-13-2008, 08:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

oh, it seems i'm not the only one chimping film cameras.

feeling a bit better now...