Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which film body?

I own a NikonN2020. It's awesome, I love it, but I want a pentax film body to go with my DA* glass rather than my 1983 nikor glass.

I love the build of the n2020. I have also held an AE-1 and I love the build of that.

Did pentax make a body with that heavy type of build and a motor drive? preferrably with a couple of bells and whistles as those are always fun...

thanks for your help, im going to hit some sites and search a bit...then ebay..then check it out here.

mitch

12-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
looks like the LX had that build that i want. I'm going to do a bit more research, but I was also reading a few months back about the Pz-1P and that seemed like an awesome body, but it looked to have a plastic build, and I definitely want a pro grade build
12-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
looks like the LX had that build that i want. I'm going to do a bit more research, but I was also reading a few months back about the Pz-1P and that seemed like an awesome body, but it looked to have a plastic build, and I definitely want a pro grade build
The Z-1P is extremely rugged. A gust of wind in the mountains, carried out tent across some rocks. Our cameras were inside. My friends Nikon F90X started malfunctioning afterwards. My Z1P keeps shooting. A metal 1 liter coffee container, also in the tent, got completely bent in. I don't worry the least if dropping the Z-1P or it takes some hard hits. It was built for Pro use, and it is a big brute of a camera

4 fps
Flash synch 1/250
shutter speed 1/8000
HyM, HyP
front and back wheel
power zoom functions
2-second mirror pre-fire
multiple exposures,
15 custom functions

The LX is an outstanding camera too, though

From Boz's site :
"The camera is large and heavy, but also solid and well-built."
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/bodies/Z-PZ/zpz1p.html

Last edited by Jonson PL; 12-06-2008 at 05:17 PM.
12-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Newer bodies support auto focus. the LX does not though it was a wonderful body. It is also dated.

Late pentax film bodies such asa the ZX5--- though plastic are credible products

12-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
woohoo!!

while i thought the appearance of the z1p was plasticky from pictures i was kinda sad. im really hard on everything i touch and i need that rugged body. if it was designed for rugged pro use...WOOHOO!
that is the one i wanted..

thanks man
12-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
what about the MZ-S?
12-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

MZ-S's are expensive, usually go for around $500
keh has one in EX condition right now at that price

12-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Forum Member

DA* glass is designed for an APS-C size sensor and will (usually) vignette pretty heavily when wide open on a full frame camera. It also lacks an aperture ring, so will require a camera body capable of setting the aperture on-body. I don't know that getting a Pentax film camera solely to use DA* glass on it is a great idea. Now, if you have some K/M/A/FA glass…
12-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ah, the MZ-S... The film camera of my dreams. I want it, but know that for the same money I could get me a wide-angle lens for my 4x5, which is what I need

Note that if you're using DA* glass, you'll need something like the pz-1p that can set the aperture in camera, as the DA* lenses do not have aperture rings on them. I do not believe that the LX can do this.
12-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No love for the MZ-S...??

Would this help - pics are posted...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/42639-pentax-mz-s.html
12-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...forgot to mention that i am aware of my image circle/FF conflict here.

but what i wasnt aware of is the aperture stuff.

so the pz-1p will set the aperture and the lx will not.....what about the mz-s?
12-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...forgot to mention that i am aware of my image circle/FF conflict here.

but what i wasnt aware of is the aperture stuff.

so the pz-1p will set the aperture and the lx will not.....what about the mz-s?
You need a lens with an aperture ring to set aperture on the MZ-S in AV mode.

IMO, that's it's only real weakness (but not that bad), since all of my SLR compatible lenses have aperture rings. I'd prefer a wheel-driven AV option like the PZ-1P, K10D or K20D (as examples).

Regards,
Marc
12-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
in manual mode on the mz-s can i set the aperture with the wheel?

i really only shoot in M anyway so it shouldnt be a weakness if i cant use Av with the DA* lenses on the mz-s
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

in manual mode on the mz-s can i set the aperture with the wheel?

i really only shoot in M anyway so it shouldnt be a weakness if i cant use Av with the DA* lenses on the mz-s
The dial surrounding the LCD information panel on the top is "the wheel" used to set shutter speed. I normally shoot AV or M mode, depending on the subject.

Hope that helps!?
12-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not the smallest one ? an *ist...