Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Yeah, that rumor has been kicking around for awhile. But please don't bury Kodachrome before it's dead.

Chris

12-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Rumor is that it has been out of production for some time and what is on the shelves is NOS. When that is gone, there will be no more. Probably ditto for the processing out of Kansas as well.

Steve
If Kodachrome has been out of production "for some time," then the new packages would all be past their expiration dates as silver process film has a limited shelf life. Kodak has discontinued all Kodachrome movie film production, but I think they are still making small quantities of the 135 format film. Kodak has publicly stated that that they will produce Kodachrome 64 "as long as there is demand for it."

There was an interesting newspaper article on Dwaye's a week or two ago. While they have reduced their staff and also offer digital printing services, they still have a healthy flow of film processing including K-14 processing.

I personally love the look of K64 when projected or when prints are made from it using the conventional non-digital process. However, E-6 film gives me better results when scanned. There is no place left in my town that will make conventional positive prints from slides. So I've gone to E-6 slide film these days.
12-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Agfachrome. I used only Agfachrome and Ilford in my whole life...
I miss it a lot !
12-08-2008, 05:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Agfapan APX

I have a freezer and fridge stocked with Agfapan APX 100 and 400. When it's gone I'll probably move to some combo of Neopan and FP4+ and HP5+. I've never shot Kodachrome, perhaps I should before it's too late ....

12-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I have a freezer and fridge stocked with Agfapan APX 100 and 400. When it's gone I'll probably move to some combo of Neopan and FP4+ and HP5+. I've never shot Kodachrome, perhaps I should before it's too late ....
Gotta have something to wave at the future generations about what film could do.

I've been trying out the Neopan... that's got a lot of potential for me, I think. I'm still trying to work out a combination of films that'll let me do everything with a limited number of developers. Right now I seem to be all over the place, and I don't generally shoot in big enough quantities to justify having too much mixed at once.

I guess I'm kind of glad I never shot any Agfapan, (I generally went with what I could get bargains or discounts on, most of the time: it never happened to turn up) to my recollection, at least I didn't get attached.