Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Banned

Sources for cameras

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

What or whom is a source that can actually provide a person a fully functional pentax MX that doesnt need a major overhaul out of the gate?

11-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the MX now being between 36 and 45 years old, your best bet is to look for a secondhand lightly used one.
Sometimes one gets lucky. I recently found a brand new SFXn.
11-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Your best bet (IMO) would be to buy them from a collector who took good care of them and has done the appropriate testing. Also, some sites such as KEH offer warranties on used gear. In fact, at the moment you can get a 1-year warranty up from the standard 6 months, although unfortunately they don't actually have any MXes in stock.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ebay definitely has that sort of thing. You'll likely be able to find a seller from Japan listing one in "total near mint" or "exc+++++" or something like that.
It is ultimately caveat emptor, but I have found that listings are generally accurately described (with the few sketchy ones fairly easy to spot). Note: I have bought several lenses this way, but not a camera body, film or otherwise. There may be some difference there.
If shipping or customs seems intimidating, I would not worry about that, as my experiences have been seamless (aka I pay the ebay seller with paypal, tracking is provided, the item shows at my door fedex, simple as that) and in some cases disturbingly fast.

11-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Most of my acquisitions have been through craigslists and I can't remember one that was not accurately represented. Most were local but some were even from other states with money up front. I guess old camera sellers are honest folks . . .

If you want completely and reliably guranteed definitely KEH. They do sell as-is too.
11-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Your best bet (IMO) would be to buy them from a collector who took good care of them and has done the appropriate testing. Also, some sites such as KEH offer warranties on used gear. In fact, at the moment you can get a 1-year warranty up from the standard 6 months, although unfortunately they don't actually have any MXes in stock.
I'll throw in an anecdote seconding KEH warranties. I recently bought a 'Bargain' condition K-1 from them and it had mode-dial failure that they repaired under their warranty (they also gave the option of return and spending a few extra $$ to go up to another better grade K-1 they had in stock). Do note the warranty does not apply to grades worse than 'Bargain' (i.e. Ugly and As-Is do not have a warranty).

I've also purchased several lenses and a K-5IIs in the past. Never had a bad experience.

KEH had a 'Bargain' condition MX on there a few days ago for $125 that I almost pulled the trigger on. I assume a camera like that would need a CLA, but otherwise be fully functional. I don't have much experience buying film camera from them unfortunately so I can't say if they inspect the seals or not and MX's seem to show up pretty rarely.

If you aren't somewhere KEH ships you'll of course need to do some research on similar stores reputation that is in your locality, but someone who specializes in selling cameras is probably going to be a more consistently good experience than something like Ebay or pawn shops.
11-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Well the camera i got was from Blue Penn LLC in tempe arizona, ebay seller name 168and328 on eBay

They talk good on their ads about what they do to them, but sadly they dont do it. Combined with that the item shipped nov 19, and arrived the 23, and they hadnt even tried to contact me about how they knew it shipped minus a lens, and still havent as of right now tried shipping it to me, insulted me and my knowledge of how to load or unload a camera,

whats worse is they wont give me a refund unless i return the lens they DID send to me. and that lens is almost unused its so cripsy and clean, cant se wear on the two springs inside the body

11-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems like you're one of very few people who have had a bad experience with that seller. Most customers seem very happy.
Maybe best would be to negotiate a price for the lens and ask for a refund for the body? Otherwise, you'll have no choice but to send the whole purchase back for refund.
11-28-2021, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
someone who specializes in selling cameras is probably going to be a more consistently good experience than something like Ebay or pawn shops.
Plenty of sellers on ebay are brick and mortar camera shops using that platform to do their online sales (or a portion thereof). KEH, Roberts/UPP, and Adorama all have used stuff listed on ebay. Many of the Japanese sellers with tons of great condition vintage gear are established camera stores in Japan.
There are of course individuals selling on there too; some small resellers and some the hobbyist or his/her estate. Usually you can suss all of that out while doing a little diligence right there within ebay.

Not trying to be argumentative or anything. I agree that a camera shop is the best place to buy a camera! Just don't neglect that some of them sell through ebay.

Also chiming back in about it because there's more than 100 Pentax MXes listed on there right now with various conditions and prices. Even if OP doesn't want to buy there it would be a good place to get a grip on pricing. Checking the recently sold listings is very informative there.

Hope OP finds a good camera.
11-28-2021, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Ebay definitely has that sort of thing. You'll likely be able to find a seller from Japan listing one in "total near mint" or "exc+++++" or something like that.
It is ultimately caveat emptor, but I have found that listings are generally accurately described (with the few sketchy ones fairly easy to spot). Note: I have bought several lenses this way, but not a camera body, film or otherwise. There may be some difference there.
If shipping or customs seems intimidating, I would not worry about that, as my experiences have been seamless (aka I pay the ebay seller with paypal, tracking is provided, the item shows at my door fedex, simple as that) and in some cases disturbingly fast.
I have purchased a number of cameras from Japan this way... include a Pentax MZ-3 and last week. Nikon F90X. I also got a Pentax 645 with 3 lenses and a Bronica EC with 3 lenses from Japan. I haven't been burned yet.

11-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It seems like you're one of very few people who have had a bad experience with that seller. Most customers seem very happy.
Maybe best would be to negotiate a price for the lens and ask for a refund for the body? Otherwise, you'll have no choice but to send the whole purchase back for refund.
I'm not the only one getting the identical problem in the current calendar month..

However the fact that they admit they shipped an order on the 19ths missing an item in it, and NEVER made an attempt as of November 28 to send it... they admitted they knew the camera wasn't quite right when they sent it as well,,,, All I can say is that the nonsense ended the moment when I said I wanted a refund or replacement as well as the missing lens to be shipped by noon Monday the 29 or I'd have ebay involved by 1pm got them to demand I hit the refund button.

The fact they are making me send the lens in that I did receive is annoying as well. Their whole attitude has been "who cares"

Last edited by MarkJerling; 11-29-2021 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Keeping it friendly.
11-28-2021, 10:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX is one of my favorites. I hope that in the end you will have onto enjoy.
11-29-2021, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never bought a second hand camera without factoring in a professional CLA. I think it's just part of the routine of buying old film cameras.
11-29-2021, 03:29 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With the MX now being between 36 and 45 years old, your best bet is to look for a secondhand lightly used one.
Sometimes one gets lucky. I recently found a brand new SFXn.
Still have one and will use as a film camera using film proves ownership of image.
11-29-2021, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Humidity damages cameras - often inside where you can't see - and Japan is a humid place.

When choosing a camera always look closely at the photos, especially the film guide rails.
They are often a good indicator of conditions camera body was stored in over the years.
If they are rusty or otherwise oxidized that may indicate hidden further deterioration.

As mentioned it's good advice to always factor in the cost of CLA to any used camera purchase.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-29-2021 at 04:46 AM.