Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

LX EV Comp Wheel Repair

So the little metal ring labeling the available EV comps on the ISO wheel on my LX has come loose. I managed to grab the metal ring itself before it was lost, but now I'm considering how to reapply it. It appears it was initially pasted on, but recent threads mentioning the horrors of what certain glue vapours can do to optical surfaces has got me second guessing what type of adhesive would be best employed. Cyanoacrylate based glues seem to be out due to their glass fogging tendencies and fragility at low temperatures (my LX regularly sees extended use in -40C temperatures). Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of adhesive to use or what to avoid? Any help is much appreciated!

12-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Sounds like a job for Pliobond.

Chris
12-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Email to Eric?

QuoteOriginally posted by GEli Quote
So the little metal ring labeling the available EV comps on the ISO wheel on my LX has come loose. I managed to grab the metal ring itself before it was lost, but now I'm considering how to reapply it. It appears it was initially pasted on, but recent threads mentioning the horrors of what certain glue vapours can do to optical surfaces has got me second guessing what type of adhesive would be best employed. Cyanoacrylate based glues seem to be out due to their glass fogging tendencies and fragility at low temperatures (my LX regularly sees extended use in -40C temperatures). Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of adhesive to use or what to avoid? Any help is much appreciated!
How about an email or phone call to Eric?

Eric Hendrickson
pentax27@aol.com
272 Shoffner Rd
Sharps Chapel, TN 37866
Fax/phone 865 278-1051
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's probably a good idea.

Likely, the best thing for the job would be some kind of contact cement that is easy to apply in a controlled fashion: you don't want anything gooshing out into the works. (I'm not sure how vulnerable that dial may be to that. )

I'm not sure what Pliobond is, but it sounds about right.

12-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Pliobond is a rubbery contact cement for use on many materials.
It provides good hold yet remains slightly pliable when dry.
It is popular among camera repairers and hobbyists.
At Olympus we used it for many applications, including the sort of repair mentioned by the OP.
If you can't find it locally Fargo/Micro-Tools sells it.

Chris