Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

LX Serial Numbers

On more than one occasion I have read a seller's assertion that the LX that they were selling was of a serial number that was less likely to have the sticky mirror syndrome..

As I recall these are supposedly late model LX's near the end of the production run..

Can any member educate me as to the serial number range to look for if one is contemplating the purchase of a used Pentax LX body??..

Thank you,

Bruce

12-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a few minor differences between early and late LX bodies but I don't recall reading that the mirror box was ever redesigned.
Later serial numbers will likely fail later, but by now virtually all LX bodies are candidates for the required mirror box rebuild job.
Unless seller provides evidence that this service was recently performed, you should buy anticipating that it will be necessary.

Chris
12-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I remember that the serial should start with 53 instead of 52 to get a later model. You can also see it on the MLU/DOFP/self timer button that is often quite worn on later models.

//jim
12-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe this will help - or maybe it will add to the confusion.

From Bodjidar Dimitrov's excellent website:

"During its long production rung, the Pentax LX was updated at least three times. The latest camera revision has three visible differences compared to the earliest: there are two white points missing on the front of the first shutter curtain; pressing the button that releases the viewfinder causes the light meter to turn on, and the shutter-lock switch features a new design. Severals attempts to gather information about camera serial numbers and design variations have failed due to inconclusive data."

LX*(late*version)

12-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also from that linked page on the authoritative B.Dimitrov website:

"Contrarary [sic] to expectations, with increasing age even the newest-design LX bodies develop the 'sticky-mirror syndrome'."

Chris
07-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New webadress: The K-Mount Page | Information about Pentax technology
07-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by baltochef920 Quote
On more than one occasion I have read a seller's assertion that the LX that they were selling was of a serial number that was less likely to have the sticky mirror syndrome..

As I recall these are supposedly late model LX's near the end of the production run..

Can any member educate me as to the serial number range to look for if one is contemplating the purchase of a used Pentax LX body??..

Thank you,

Bruce
Yes, 53.... serials are the later models. See the serial DB for the LX here: Pentax LX Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Per two Pentax techs I've spoken with (including Eric H.) late-models are simply newer and both have seen issues occasionally pop-up with those as well. But the majority of them haven't yet had issue (I'm speaking mostly to the PCB issues in the metering/shutter/control/electronics that can occur) but that time will likely come. A late-model is likely the better choice for now, but you'll pay a premium for it in comparison, and it by no means makes it immune in the future to these issues.

"Sticky mirror" is another issue having to do with the mirror box lubrication and foam and is easily remedied by a CLA. Late models again may not be yet effected by this simply because they're not as old, but those that are can be brought back to proper working order easily. This isn' the case with PCB issues.

---------- Post added 07-07-18 at 11:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
addendum - I did not realize when I responded that you'd resurrected this*very* old thread. The OP's account is listed now as inactive. :-/

Last edited by Eyewanders; 07-07-2018 at 11:14 AM.
07-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Maybe this will help - or maybe it will add to the confusion.

From Bodjidar Dimitrov's excellent website:

"During its long production rung, the Pentax LX was updated at least three times. The latest camera revision has three visible differences compared to the earliest: there are two white points missing on the front of the first shutter curtain; pressing the button that releases the viewfinder causes the light meter to turn on, and the shutter-lock switch features a new design. Severals attempts to gather information about camera serial numbers and design variations have failed due to inconclusive data."

LX(lateversion)
There was a joke on the PDML that rings with some truth, that Pentax chose serial numbers by throwing darts at a board while blindfolded. There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their numbering system.

I still remember the serial number of my first Nikon F2s. 7464525. 746 indicated the year and month, more or less, of manufacture (this did not equal calendar month as production was done in batches), and 4525 (-1) was how many F2 bodies had been built prior to it.
One could look at an F2 and know to within about 30 days when it had been assembled.
07-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There was a joke on the PDML that rings with some truth, that Pentax chose serial numbers by throwing darts at a board while blindfolded. There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their numbering system.

I still remember the serial number of my first Nikon F2s. 7464525. 746 indicated the year and month, more or less, of manufacture (this did not equal calendar month as production was done in batches), and 4525 (-1) was how many F2 bodies had been built prior to it.
One could look at an F2 and know to within about 30 days when it had been assembled.
Yep not one of Pentax's strong points!

Phil.
07-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

No wonder I couldn't remember posting that - it was 10 years ago!

07-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That or see my germlin theory elsewhere on PF.
07-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Woops.
07-08-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woops.
07-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
There are a few minor differences between early and late LX bodies but I don't recall reading that the mirror box was ever redesigned.
Later serial numbers will likely fail later, but by now virtually all LX bodies are candidates for the required mirror box rebuild job.
Unless seller provides evidence that this service was recently performed, you should buy anticipating that it will be necessary.

Chris
I read somewhere that there were no fewer than 300 modifications made to the LX model from initial production to final production of the LX 2000. Some are visible externally while others are right inside the camera.

Regards

Chris