Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
Banned

M42 macro options

I have canon fd mount cameras. lets discuss what option i have in regards to getting a macro lens in the M42 family to use with a converter.

I know fotodiox is the only company making a converter that turns ANYTHING to the FD mount, and Ive reached the conclusion that a genuine macro lens is the way to go. I have tried macro RINGs for my lenses and its not a good thing long term.

I have two genuine long body telezooms wtih macro options, but they are a toss, one works a 75-210 that has a macro distance of about 3 feet. And a 100 - 300 that is very very iffy and a macro distance of about a foot.

I recently purchased a 35-70mm zoom with macro that has about 7 inches of macro distance on it, and it does work to a point. it is very needy in the light department. and it has a macro distance n perhaps 6".

12-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #2

The "macro" option on MF zooms means the closest focus distance is under one meter. The magnification may not even be near 0.5-1.0× which are common definitions of macro photography.

For Pentax M42 (screw mount) there are only 50mm and 100mm f/4 lenses available.
S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 100mm F4 Macro Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Except for the preset version of the 50mm all of these are only 0.5× magnification without an additional tube.

I'll leave it to others to go into 3rd party screwmount macro lenses.
12-30-2021, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmmaster Quote
I have canon fd mount cameras. lets discuss what option i have in regards to getting a macro lens in the M42 family to use with a converter.

I know fotodiox is the only company making a converter that turns ANYTHING to the FD mount, and Ive reached the conclusion that a genuine macro lens is the way to go. I have tried macro RINGs for my lenses and its not a good thing long term.

I have two genuine long body telezooms wtih macro options, but they are a toss, one works a 75-210 that has a macro distance of about 3 feet. And a 100 - 300 that is very very iffy and a macro distance of about a foot.

I recently purchased a 35-70mm zoom with macro that has about 7 inches of macro distance on it, and it does work to a point. it is very needy in the light department. and it has a macro distance n perhaps 6".

'macro' options on zooms are usually more close-focusing than true macro...

in M42, my favorite macro lenses (aside from the Pentax offerings) are:

- Mamiya Macro Sekor 60mm f2.8
- Fujinon EBC 55mm f3.5 Macro
- Auto Chinon MCM 55mm f1.7

and never forget the Tamron Adaptall macro lenses that can be adapted to M42 also - the 90mm f2.5 (52B and 52BB) and 90mm f2.8 (72B)
12-30-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best M42 Macro Lens?: Sigma Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The Pentax lenses are very very fine indeed. Bear in mind that the 1/2 life sized models can be made to work at higher magnification with either an extension tube or a close up lens added to the front.

12-31-2021, 03:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The "macro"/close focus abilities of most zoom lenses (there are exceptions like the vivitar 90-180mm which was designed more specifically for close focus) are normally not to be compared with the results from a genuine macro lens. However its worth looking at all your options. For example, most "nifty-fifty's" ie the standard 50mm lenses that were normally sold with a camera, work pretty well both with extension tubes and with close focus filters. I normally take my ebay pics of small items with just the kit lens + close focus filter on my old lumix G1. For more powerful macro, reversing eg a good 28mm lens using a cheap and easily obtained reversing ring can also produce good results

+1 the adaptall 52B/BB 90mm macros as the most readily available and best value 1:2 macro lens - easily found for around a $100. You can easily obtain FD adaptall mounts to go with.

I recommend Johan Ingles Le Nobel's web site extreme macro uk
Johan J Ingles-Le Nobel Read more at Extreme Macro Photography J Ingles-Le Nobel Read more at Extreme Macro Photography
12-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Tamron 90mm is probably the best bang for your buck
12-31-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Vivitar 55/2.8 macro (also can be found under Elicar name and maybe others) is often found in m42 at reasonable prices and is one of the nicest macros ever.

12-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Vivitar 55/2.8 macro (also can be found under Elicar name and maybe others) is often found in m42 at reasonable prices and is one of the nicest macros ever.
The Vivitar is discussed in that thread I linked. The assessment was that it was sharp but suffered from very visible axial CA. I haven’t used one so I can only suggest looking for additional reviews or results of photos to validate this. Film may provide a different experience than digital as well.
12-31-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The Vivitar is discussed in that thread I linked. The assessment was that it was sharp but suffered from very visible axial CA. I haven’t used one so I can only suggest looking for additional reviews or results of photos to validate this. Film may provide a different experience than digital as well.
Sounds like a messed up copy, although I've only used them on APS-C so maybe the edges aren't as good. Also possible earlier versions had worse coatings. (Also should note there is a native FD mount version of this lens.)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 12-31-2021 at 07:47 PM.
01-01-2022, 06:33 AM   #10

The Vivitar 90mm macros get good marks. Both were made in M42/screwmount versions. Finding one is the trick

Vivitar Series 1 "Bokina" (tokina) 90mm F2.5 Macro Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Vivitar (Komine) 90mm f2.5 or f2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
01-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Another vote for the Tamron 90mm f/2.5 Adaptall-2 lens. Mine's followed me through four changes of mount (starting with M42) since the '70's … it's still in my bag. Don't forget, when used with the Tamron #01F 2x flatfield converter, it'll give you a 180mm macro (1:1 reproduction) at 1.3ft, 0.39m.
If you want/need a shorter focal length, the 'Industar' N-61L/Z 50mm f/2.8 in M42 works down to 1ft, 0.3m. Not to be confused with the M39 N-61L/D rangefinder lens!
The Fujinon EBC 55mm f3.5 Macro is excellent, but extremely sought after by collectors. Expect to pay well into three figures unless you get very lucky!
01-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I think if I were going to do macro on a FD camera with M42 lenses, I'd be looking at bellows or extension tubes.

Flange distance issues sort of go away, so you could use lots of things.

I'd probably start with pulling the glass out of a cheap, terrible 2x converter in Canon FD mount and figuring out some sort of adapter (even homemade) to put the M42 in it.

Even the ubiquitous Canon 50mm f1.8 should do some decent Macro with that much extension, if you wanted to just use it as a Canon extension tube...

And I think there were a couple of "brand agnostic" bellows, with inserts for the right mount, sold by third-parties back in the day. I wonder what availability is like on those.

-Eric
01-02-2022, 08:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know fotodiox is the only company making a converter that turns ANYTHING to the FD mount
It's not made anymore, but have you looked for a Canon Lens Converter P? I've seen them in a few places, and have one for my Canon A1. This site doesn't have it in stock, but does have a fairly nice description of it:

Canon Lens Mount Converter P Adapter for using many M42 Screw Lenses on R FL FD 35mm SLRs FT F-1 FTb EF A-1 AV-1 AE-1P T70 T90 etc

I also see that a Chinon 55mm macro was mentioned earlier, but let me add that there was also a Chinon 50mm f1.7 macro.