Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2022, 02:03 AM   #1

Designing a Grip for (P)Z-1/(P)Z-1P

So I've recently bought a Z-1p with a PZ FA 28-105 lens, and I absolutely love it. But I live in Russia and there's literally no way I could find an FD grip for a reasonable price, so I designed it myself for 3-d printing. It's still not complete - need to design a mount, but overall ergonomics turned out to be good. Posted it on thingiverse: Clickable
Feel free to modify, suggest and do all sorts of discussion and criticism. Planning to turn it into a battery grip.

01-02-2022, 03:03 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Gindrus Quote
So I've recently bought a Z-1p with a PZ FA 28-105 lens, and I absolutely love it. But I live in Russia and there's literally no way I could find an FD grip for a reasonable price, so I designed it myself for 3-d printing. It's still not complete - need to design a mount, but overall ergonomics turned out to be good. Posted it on thingiverse: Clickable
Feel free to modify, suggest and do all sorts of discussion and criticism. Planning to turn it into a battery grip.
That's looking really good! How do you plan to connect the grip electronically to the body?
01-02-2022, 03:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
That's looking really good! How do you plan to connect the grip electronically to the body?
By adding a dummy battery to the design with wires attached to pins on it from inside and a hole for the battery cover to go into, so that the grip is flush. Inside the grip, there would be four replaceable AA batteries or two rechargeable 3.7v LiFePO4 batteries with a charging circuit and a type-c port for charging.
01-02-2022, 05:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
As you probably know, the original grip from Pentax is just a grip without any electrical connection. It doesn’t provide any battery power. This is an interesting update to that idea.

---------- Post added 01-02-22 at 07:48 AM ----------

By adding a dummy battery to the design with wires attached to pins on it from inside and a hole for the battery cover to go into, so that the grip is flush. Inside the grip, there would be four replaceable AA batteries or two rechargeable 3.7v LiFePO4 batteries with a charging circuit and a type-c port for charging.
Very cool idea. The original batteries for that series are a bit pricey.

---------- Post added 01-02-22 at 07:49 AM ----------

I have an original for my pz-1 but this is a cool idea. Very ingenious.

---------- Post added 01-02-22 at 07:49 AM ----------

---------- Post added 01-02-22 at 07:50 AM ----------

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-02-2022 at 05:57 AM.
01-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice so far. Good luck on your finishing it and incorporating the battery feature - will look forward to seeing the final design.