Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #1

Pentax K1000 shutter problems

I have bought a Pentax K1000 last year, and have been shooting with it since. But lately I have been getting weird images, and underexposed image (both with the internal meter and external meter).

I have notice this manly happens on the 1/1000th speed and sometimes with 1/500th speed.
I have a trip planned for next week and I wanted to bring the camera with me, and so a revision on a shop is not an option.

My question is what can I do minimize this problem, and will I get also this problem with lower shutter speeds?

I'm wondering if I should bring my film camera or leave it at the shop, because there's nothing worse than getting the photos like this...

I have attached 2 pictures that show whats been happening.
Should I bring the camera along or just bring my digital one?

Thanks for the help!

Attached Images

01-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #2

The problem is caused by the incorrect timing of the shutter blinds. That should be an easy fix for a service technician.
01-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #3

I don't think a repairer can fix your machine in such a short time. Maybe you should bring the digital camera, or if you are familiar with micro-mechanics you can fix the machine yourself.
Once to check the shutter, the television screen was framed and, with the caseback open, the curtains of the camera could be seen sliding and letting an oblique strip be seen. Maybe there are tutorials on the net.

---------- Post added 01-06-22 at 10:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aldo taddia Quote
I don't think a repairer can fix your machine in such a short time. Maybe you should bring the digital camera, or if you are familiar with micro-mechanics you can fix the machine yourself.
Once to check the shutter, the television screen was framed and, with the caseback open, the curtains of the camera could be seen sliding and letting an oblique strip be seen. Maybe there are tutorials on the net.
I don't know if my poor English could have clarified the way to check the shutter.
01-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

In your first image, that is typically a problem called "capping". The 2 curtains (shutter's opening and closing) should travel at the same speed. Capping is when they don't move at the same speed. In this case, it seems the second curtain is moving faster and it catches up with the first one. The higher the shutter speed the more noticeable. That's why you notice it first at 1/1000 speeds. That can be fixed with a service calibration of the curtain tensioners, but you need the appropriate test equipment for that. It is worth sending to the shop for a proper CLA (Clean, Lube and Adjust) to also check and calibrate the meter if needed. With a proper service it will return years of enjoyment.
If you can't send it to service soon, try to avoid higher shutter speeds. Each case is unique but it typically takes a long time to affect slower speeds. But the more you wait, the more it will need the service.

Thanks,
Ismael

01-10-2022, 04:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

In your first image, that is typically a problem called "capping". The 2 curtains (shutter's opening and closing) should travel at the same speed. Capping is when they don't move at the same speed. In this case, it seems the second curtain is moving faster and it catches up with the first one. The higher the shutter speed the more noticeable. That's why you notice it first at 1/1000 speeds. That can be fixed with a service calibration of the curtain tensioners, but you need the appropriate test equipment for that. It is worth sending to the shop for a proper CLA (Clean, Lube and Adjust) to also check and calibrate the meter if needed. With a proper service it will return years of enjoyment.
If you can't send it to service soon, try to avoid higher shutter speeds. Each case is unique but it typically takes a long time to affect slower speeds. But the more you wait, the more it will need the service.

Thanks,
Ismael
Thanks! I will send the camera to the shop. I wanted to bring her to my trip but I don't feel safe knowing the shots may come wrong.