Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PZ-1P; Not Like I needed another Camera...

So I just bought a PZ-1P.

Not like a actually NEEDED another film camera...

But here is my justification:

Ad on Craigslist: $80.00 CAN dollers

It includes a battery, so $80.00-$15.00 = $65.00 CAD

Most cameras I buy from the US, like from e-bay or KEH, so in USD = $52.85

Less $25.00 shipping... $27.85!! and this included 2 rols of film, the Pentax strap, and the manual! Woot! Hazza!

No way I could pass this up!

------------------

I think I first saw Lowell Goudge describe this camera as "a film K10D".

That is the most acurate desription I could place on this camera. Size, shape, feel in hand is ALL like the K10D. Quality of the plastic used, and the switches is less then the K10D, but still acceptable. I had always considred this to be the ugliest camera Pentax ever made. But in the hand, it does not look nearly as bad as its photo. Some irony there...Pentax makes a camera that "takes a bad photo"...

Can't wait to run some film through my new beast!!

------------------

On a seperate but related note; I was surfing the net looking for info on the PZ-1P, and I came accross this post from 1997 to 1999.

The more things change the more they stay the same. The condensed highlights:

- Pentax PZ-1P a great value camera with unique features not found on the "pro" bodies

- Nik*n is "better" because you can rent lenses, more lenses available, and it is a true "pro" body, but with less features...like no hyper program mode.

- Lots of Pentax rumors of a new body to come out, but no real time line.

"It's easier to predict earth quakes than figure out what/when Pentax is going to do something", Bruce Rubenstein, May 12, 1999

- Paal Jenson drops the rumor of some new lens... Suposed to be aluminium body and a strange length of 77mm f1.8 if you can believe that.

- oh, last but not least, Pentax has trouble focusing in low light.

here is the link:

Pentax PZ-1P - Photo.net photo.net Forum

Eric.

12-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Déjà vu!

Actually "you can attach every Pentax PK and every M42 lens" was heard already when I was getting into Pentax through the Super-A/Program-A. My contact with the Z1p is from my brothers copy, and I was long considering to buy it myself back then, but think I didn't thought I need it between the LX and MZ-5, but I've also been tempted by some ebay sales since it goes very cheap nowadays. Eat too much battery, otherwise mostly good.
12-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how big those actually *are,* is a question. Sure, they look *really odd,* but being a little odd, myself, sometimes I like that, ....it's kind of like when Subaru comes out with something *really weird* and I'm like, "Aaa! I've gotta get one of those someday!"

Right now, I like the old school bodies, to go with the digital, since I've split systems, and will carry Canon FD if I'm carrying something big, anyway, but, I also am hedging against my eyesight getting more problematic (Let's hope that doesn't happen) and needing to rely on AF a lot, in which case Pentax is my best hope. (also, in a pinch, maybe one could serve as a somewhat wasteful half-frame analog camera with some aperture-ring-less lenses. )

So, how big is that, really?
12-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Not That Big

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I wonder how big those actually *are,* is a question. Sure, they look *really odd,* but being a little odd, myself, sometimes I like that, ....it's kind of like when Subaru comes out with something *really weird* and I'm like, "Aaa! I've gotta get one of those someday!"

Right now, I like the old school bodies, to go with the digital, since I've split systems, and will carry Canon FD if I'm carrying something big, anyway, but, I also am hedging against my eyesight getting more problematic (Let's hope that doesn't happen) and needing to rely on AF a lot, in which case Pentax is my best hope. (also, in a pinch, maybe one could serve as a somewhat wasteful half-frame analog camera with some aperture-ring-less lenses. )

It is not really that big compared to the KxxD bodies. It is big for a film body but does have internal winder (at 4.5 fps). If you slap a winder on any other film body, it will end up similar in bigness.

PZ-1P - 152 x 95.5 x 74 in mm - 650 grams
LX - 144.5 x 90.5 x 50 in mm - 570 grams
LX Motor Drive - 240 grams (no dimensions listed)
K10D - 141.5 x 101 x 70 in mm - 710 grams

So a bit wider and shorter and thicker than the K10D. I think it is thicker because of the grip, which is very ergonomic. My favorite body to hold by a large margin.

KungPOW - That is a great price!

12-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey, if you don't need it, I'll take it off your hands for you
12-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
So I just bought a PZ-1P.

------------------

I think I first saw Lowell Goudge describe this camera as "a film K10D".

That is the most acurate desription I could place on this camera. Size, shape, feel in hand is ALL like the K10D. Quality of the plastic used, and the switches is less then the K10D, but still acceptable. I had always considred this to be the ugliest camera Pentax ever made. But in the hand, it does not look nearly as bad as its photo. Some irony there...Pentax makes a camera that "takes a bad photo"...

Can't wait to run some film through my new beast!!
Eric.
Eric

glad I had some influence in your decision

when you go out with film in body, please try not to look at the back of the camera waiting for the image to appear, you could be waiting a very long time indeed HA. HA...
12-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #7

The pz1-p was my first slr. I have shot thousands of photos with it and still love it. I think I like the viewfinder displays better than my K10d. Have fun with it!
12-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can anybody comment on how well it works with manual focus lenses? I know it doesn't have a split-screen focus aid, but does the focus confirmation work well with MF lenses?

12-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Eric

glad I had some influence in your decision

when you go out with film in body, please try not to look at the back of the camera waiting for the image to appear, you could be waiting a very long time indeed HA. HA...
Lowell, I'll see how it goes with looking at the back of the camera. I expect I'll do that at least once. I do expect it to do a "dust reduction shake" when I start it up though...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Size wise, It is so close to the K10D or the K20D that for all intents, they are the same size. It feels just like my K10D in the hand.

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Can anybody comment on how well it works with manual focus lenses? I know it doesn't have a split-screen focus aid, but does the focus confirmation work well with MF lenses?
I have not shot any film with it yet, but just playing arround with an SMC-M on it I noticed that the focus confirmation will work, but it is not very reliable. It's kind of hit and miss. I don't know if a different lens would act differently. It should be noted that there is only a single linear center focus point. The lower contrast of the SMC-M 50 1.4 wide open might reduce the ability of the camera to confirm focus.

But on the bright side, the aperture is coupled to the light meter. So in aperture priority or manual modes, the light meter will adjust the exposure without stopping the lens down. Kind of how the K10d/K20D should handle pre-FA series lenses...

The camera will also control the aperture on my 18-55 kit lens. Nice to know that the "Pzip" will work with DA lenses.