Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Got Myself A Good Find Earlier And Cheaper Than Expected...

I'm always green with envy when people post really good buys they got over a pawnshop, antique swap, eBay, and the like since rarely do I find good buys where I am, and even if I could score a good eBay find, well, shipping costs makes it more of a so-so deal than a really great find.

Well, I lucked out in one of the local buy and sell forums where there rarely are Pentax items (we're a predominantly Canon / Nikon society, for the most part), but chanced upon a really lucky find...

An LX.

Well, I've been lusting for an LX / MX / KX lately, as part of my interest in old film photography (and general interest in a lot of things vintage), and was actually alloting a part of my meager earnings for one of these (price of item + shipping costs). I projected that I'll be able to order one in 2 months or 3 months still.

Then this forum post came along, and he's selling his LX. The price?

PhP 4,500, or about US $93.62.

So, obviously, I immediately jumped at the deal hoping I would be the first to buy the item.

Luckily, I was, and now I'm the proud owner of a generally very good condition LX.

I say generally, since the meter seems to be overexposing by half a stop (haven't shot film in it yet, but that's what the K200D and the Capital light meter are telling me), but it's nothing big for me. I don't think I'm able to notice a half-stop overexposure, anyway, and since the half-stop is consistent, it's easy to compensate for it. Everything else works like it should, so I'm happy.

The exterior shows minimal brassing, the interior is very clean, and the item came with the original ever-ready case and strap, plus one of those grid focusing screens (it might have raised the value of the camera, though I would really enjoy focusing via a split-focus screen more - hopefully there are LX accessories floating around still).

The whole setup feels nice and solid, and the viewfinder is totally gorgeous. It's night and day comparing it to the K200D's, which already is a big improvement for me over my friend's 350D I was shooting with a couple of days ago.

All in all, I can fully appreciate what others have seen in this camera, and it still boggles my mind that I have in my hands a pro-spec camera, and a true classic of an era gone by.

Sorry for the long post. I tend to ramble at times. Thanks to those who made it this far.

12-13-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congrats pal.
12-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

congrats, great find!

few months ago i found an MX with huge Pallas Magenta 28mm f/2.8 lens attached. i just had to buy it, although it wasnt's such a great find, it was a bit overpriced for its overall condition.
12-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure you will enjoy the LX, I did and still do and that's after some 30 years.

12-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congratulations on that bargain! I would not worry about the overexposure if you havn't tested it with film in the camera.

I had the same worries when I got my LX also, but then I was told that the meter does not read right if you don't have film in the camera. Said and done. And it works perfectly.
12-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

I say generally, since the meter seems to be overexposing by half a stop (haven't shot film in it yet, but that's what the K200D and the Capital light meter are telling me), but it's nothing big for me. I don't think I'm able to notice a half-stop overexposure, anyway, and since the half-stop is consistent, it's easy to compensate for it. Everything else works like it should, so I'm happy.

With the LX's IDM meter, high-speed measurements for automatic operation are made off fixed pattern on front shutter curtain, slow speed measurements off curtain and film. I'm not sure if that extends to manual exposure (which is set in fixed increments, not stepless metering)

So the initial meter reading off the shutter curtain might not reflect what will happen when the shutter opens and the film reading is taken, because the film is more reflective than the curtain. Mine seemed a bit wonky when dry-firing it for tests, but after running a few rolls of film it's pretty accurate, though I use mine in mostly in manual mode and haven't noticed any meter calibration issues.
12-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm still super thrilled at this point for the lucky find I got. I'm not really the kind to throw money at more expensive film - I usually buy generic Solid Gold film (not sure if you heard about it) until I feel more confident in my own film skills - but I was just so happy yesterday that I splurged on Ilford 400.

JCSullivan: I hope I can make this sing half as good as you could.

elkarrde: The MX is next on my list. For some strange reason, I'm finding it more interesting to collect cameras than lenses... I haven't heard about this Pallas Magenta 28mm f/2.8 lens. Is it one of those hidden gems?

kerrowdown: Here's hoping I could also get 30 years still from this camera, with full electronic systems still functioning.

Jimfear and CSoars: Well that's something I didn't know. Thanks for the input, that may be the answer to the metering on this camera.

Here's the camera, just a few quick snaps last night, nothing artistic. I'll get to cleaning the body exterior later today:

12-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even to this day, this is one of the best cameras I have ever owned (Had 2) and I'm sure you will enjoy it for years. One word of caution. These cameras don't like long periods of sitting around doing nothing. Make sure you run a roll or 2 every couple of months. They work better with regular use.

I had this screen in both mine and liked it best. The ground glass in this camera was great and you could easily get a split screen but probably won't need it.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.
12-14-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter. I'll make it a point to give this camera some exercise every so often. The viewfinder really is nice and big, and you're right. The more I use it, the more I feel the screen it came with is plenty good enough for focusing. The grid lines would come in helpful with composition, too.
12-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new camera, and a great deal too Hope the metering isn't an issue at all as some said above, although a full CLA is the best treat for this kind of old cameras.

Cheers and happy shooting.
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats Vinzer, awesome deal:-).
12-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very happy for you, mate. Now get out there and fire away and show us the results. Enjoy.
12-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
elkarrde: The MX is next on my list. For some strange reason, I'm finding it more interesting to collect cameras than lenses... I haven't heard about this Pallas Magenta 28mm f/2.8 lens. Is it one of those hidden gems?
unfortunately, no, not a hidden gem at all - although it does work nice with film bodies, on digital it collects very funky crescent-moon flares from everywhere, it's pretty soft wide-open, and has hard-rimmed bokeh. not a gem, definitely, but it's my only wide lens, so i'm using it on a regular basis.
i'll post short review in off-brand club as soon as possible.
12-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Yay, congrats!

I've always wanted an excuse to get hold of one of those.

I bet those grid lines could be pretty handy if you're near the water a lot.
12-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again, guys. That's what I really appreciate with this forum: friendly and supportive people.

frank: The previous owner mentioned that the camera was CLA'd about a month before he sold it, so I'm guessing it's as clean as can be, though they might not have been able to source parts for the meter (if ever it is wonky, though I'm encouraged by earlier mention of the unique meter of the LX). Happy shooting, indeed. Thanks.

Eaglerapids: Thanks, man! Still on Cloud 9 by the deal. I barely missed on a $70 MX lately, but the deal I got on this LX keeps me from cursing myself over the missed MX.

Wombat: Will do. With shooting film, I realize I've become more discriminate in the things that I shoot. Whereas I'll simply plug away with digital, easily throwing away bad photos, I feel more deliberate with film. I guess this is for the better, as I'm admittedly an undisciplined photographer still.

elkarrde: I'd like to see sample pics from that lens and your review also. Lately, I've been trying to wean myself off of 100% crop viewing, so what's terrible for you may be okay with me (lower standards on my part, hahaha). In any case, it's nice to hear about unknown lenses, too.

Ratmagiclady: Aha! There you go! Yes, you're absolutely right. I have the worst horizontal alignment discernment this side of the world, so those lines would definitely help me on that part. Unfortunately, some of us are born imbalanced. Hahaha. Thanks for the tip. I didn't think of it that way.