Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bellakelpie Quote
Plenty of Silver Oxide batteries (mercury substitute) available around the world at good dedicated photography shops, for all models of the Spotmatic.. No need to go to "Fleabay."
With all due respect, the reason to go to eBay is not for the silver oxide battery. That is simply a nice by-product of purchasing an adapter that uses a cell that is the exact correct voltage and which is plentiful, cheap and easy to find.

So it's the adapter and the use of proper voltages that I advocate. Bridge circuit or NOT, using the correct voltage will likely result is NO issues of ANY kind whatsoever, and the use of silver cells will result in a voltage curve that most closely resembles a mercury cell than do the alkaline batteries... meaning it will give up the ghost all at once as opposed to becoming more and more attenuated and effecting the reading more and more without your knowledge.

So yeah... your point is well taken and considered. Silver it is.

There are people who, when faced with a decision to use the correct voltage or use the wrong voltage because it is possible to do so, "and it does not matter (as far as they know)," will choose the latter. Fine. I have no argument with that. I suppose that I would simply ask that they take the time to understand my viewpoint and accord it the same respect.

My slide film matters to me. The lattitude is already constrained. I don't want to guess at anything for a few mere dollars. I want this camera to work as designed. The best way to be sure is to be sure.

Are you? While you work out the answer to that, I'll be shootin' fer sure... ;-)

woof!

Last edited by woof; 12-16-2008 at 06:05 PM.