Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want a Spotmatic

I have a K10D and I recently bought a Super-Takumar 35mm f/3.5 because I wanted to experience one of these classic screw mount manual lenses (Love it by the way). So now I've decided to try my hand with a classic Spotmatic but I'm not sure where to get a good example of one. KEH has them and I've seen them on ebay as well. The range of prices is so wide that I'm not sure what would be a fair price for one.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

12-14-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't forget our very own market. There's often a Spottie or two there and you can be pretty sure you'll get a fair deal from anyone on this forum.
12-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
Damn Brit

I got an excellent Spotmatic on Craigslist. I got to see before I bought and got a bargain +some good lenses as well out of it.

Edit: A camera that old is going to show it's age but as long as you get the price right it is worth sending it to Eric for a CLA http://pentaxs.com/ . At least then you will absolutely know you have a fully functioning camera. Some people might say they have had it serviced just to bump the price up, even if they have had it serviced, there's no guarantee it was done well. Eric does a first class job and his prices are reasonable.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-15-2008 at 01:11 AM.
12-15-2008, 03:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd love to get a Spottie as well ... but for now I ahve been given a film camera to use (as it never ges used anymore) ... so that will tide me over for a while.

12-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
Inactive Account

For all the criticism that KEH sometimes gets, they are very pendantic on how they grade their stock.
"Fair" to them is usually pretty darn good elsewhere.

I got my ME Super from them and it was in better shape than they made out overall.

And what they said was working and not working was 100% accurate. (In this case, one LED light on the light meter indicator was not working.- No big deal).

But also check E-Bay, there are some good 'uns there.

Expect to pay more for a late model all Black case that you would a Silver case unit. Not that the Black ones take any better photo's.

"Damn Brit" is correct inwhat to expect re the foam
I have 2 Spotties (an "SP" and a "F") and both have had foam replacements and also shutters retimed.

The light meter on the "F" is not as accurate as the one on the "SP" and so I do use a hand held light meter when I use the "F" body.
12-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a guy over here in Japan whose hobby it is, as best I can tell, to pick up old Pentax SV bodies, do a CLA on them (and shutter curtain replacement as necessary), and turn around and sell them on auction for probably little more than he paid for them. I got a beautiful freshly CLAed SV from him, together with a Super Takumar 55/1.8 lens, for the paltry sum of about $40.

I sometimes think I could buy up what he puts out and resell them here. It's all I can do to keep myself from bidding on every camera he put up.

If your lens is an S-M-C or SMC model, you may as well take full advantage of the open-aperture metering feature by getting either an F, ES, or ESII. I have the ESII and absolutely adore it. Such a joy shooting the Takumars from an open apertures, and for tripod shots the way kewl viewfinder curtains are fantastic.
12-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My particular favorites are the SP1000's - I've mentioned this before, for some reason I really don't like the idea of the K1000, but an SP1000, it's another matter. The SP range - ie. before the F - can use any battery, and again the ESII uses available batteries. SP-F I'm always doubtful about, but if I had one I'm sure I'd have found a battery to use as well...

Refoaming things yourself is easy and painless, fun even. But with a CLA you'd get the shutter lubed and timed - with the SP1000 I had (daughter stole it) in the real cold the photos would start to get dark at one edge... I figure it was the shutter dragging. But that's better than yesterday, with the Program Plus, electrically dependent, which pretty much started to give up, batteries too cold.
12-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Jim's has a good reputation for their used equipment. He has a Spottie (reconditioned) here

12-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
There's a guy over here in Japan whose hobby it is, as best I can tell, to pick up old Pentax SV bodies, do a CLA on them (and shutter curtain replacement as necessary), and turn around and sell them on auction for probably little more than he paid for them. I got a beautiful freshly CLAed SV from him, together with a Super Takumar 55/1.8 lens, for the paltry sum of about $40.

I sometimes think I could buy up what he puts out and resell them here. It's all I can do to keep myself from bidding on every camera he put up.

If your lens is an S-M-C or SMC model, you may as well take full advantage of the open-aperture metering feature by getting either an F, ES, or ESII. I have the ESII and absolutely adore it. Such a joy shooting the Takumars from an open apertures, and for tripod shots the way kewl viewfinder curtains are fantastic.
Does he do MX's also? I'm interested in one if he does, and I figure shipping from Japan to the Philippines would be cheaper than shipping from the US to here. And you could earn a bit from the sale, too. :P
12-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote

Refoaming things yourself is easy and painless, fun even. But with a CLA you'd get the shutter lubed and timed - with the SP1000 I had (daughter stole it) in the real cold the photos would start to get dark at one edge... I figure it was the shutter dragging. But that's better than yesterday, with the Program Plus, electrically dependent, which pretty much started to give up, batteries too cold.
With battery-dependent cameras like the Program Plus, generally it's a good idea to keep spare batteries in a pocket close to your body if you're in the cold a long time.

That Erik really seems to have a nice price on CLA's: if this ME Super I just got doesn't check out, I wouldn't think it's unreasonabe, (If it cost much more I'd be more tempted to save it for getting an MX and having that tune d up just right... Which reminds me....
12-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Does he do MX's also? I'm interested in one if he does, and I figure shipping from Japan to the Philippines would be cheaper than shipping from the US to here. And you could earn a bit from the sale, too. :P
I've never seen him do anything but the SV, which apparently enjoys some sort of reputation for being a relatively easy camera to work on. It also helps that they are abundant (and cheap) in Japan. His refurbished cameras usually go for $25~40 dollars.
12-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

IMHO, the Spotmatic does as well.
I have been using SR batteries since the 80s and almost always got perfectly exposed pictures (the other times were my fault mostly)
Check the FAQ in the Yahoo Spotmatic group
Spotmatic : Asahi Pentax Spotmatic Users Group
I have attached the Battery Information as pdf here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/346461-post20.html
The forum does not let me upload it again

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
One or two users here may claim otherwise, but the SP-F has a bridge circuit and so can use "any battery", too.
Modern 1.5V 625 alkaline and silver oxide cells are readily available to power the meter in the Spotmatic F.

Chris
12-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I've never seen him do anything but the SV, which apparently enjoys some sort of reputation for being a relatively easy camera to work on. It also helps that they are abundant (and cheap) in Japan. His refurbished cameras usually go for $25~40 dollars.

Can you please give me his eBay user name?

Additionally, Spotmatic F on bridge circuit, most sources I have seen state that the Spotmatic F does NOT have a bridge circuit...

See: Batteries Look at material in the 4th paragraph.

On the other hand, a number of people make inexpensive converters that take very generally available silver oxide cells with the exact correct voltage. See:

FINALLY A PX-13 MERCURY BATTERY SUBSTITUTE THAT WORKS - eBay (item 290282425788 end time Dec-21-08 16:58:44 PST)

Also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Interslice-Tri-Dot-Mercury-Battery-Adapter-Guaranteed_W0...QQcmdZViewItem

Kind regards

woof!

Last edited by woof; 12-16-2008 at 08:25 AM.
12-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

SPF uses a dual coil meter, the two halves equally affected by any voltage variations.
IMHO this means that the circuit is compensated thus is not affected by volatege variations, just like a bridge-type circuit.

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Can you please give me his eBay user name?

Additionally, Spotmatic F on bridge circuit, most sources I have seen state that the Spotmatic F does NOT have a bridge circuit...

See: Batteries Look at material in the 4th paragraph.

On the other hand, a number of people make inexpensive converters that take very generally available silver oxide cells with the exact correct voltage. See:

FINALLY A PX-13 MERCURY BATTERY SUBSTITUTE THAT WORKS - eBay (item 290282425788 end time Dec-21-08 16:58:44 PST)

Kind regards

woof!
12-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Plenty of Silver Oxide batteries (mercury substitute) available around the world at good dedicated photography shops, for all models of the Spotmatic.. No need to go to "Fleabay."