Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
Welcome back from the dark side. You'll probably experience some grogginess and an overwhelming urge to think more and shoot less. The grogginess passes.
Well ... put it this way ... I started in digital ... and now I will be entering the unknown with film.

I have had some film cameras a long time ago ... but no SLR.

Oh ... NEWSFLASH:

Was over my Mother-in-law's this morning helping clean up ... and she said to me she found an "old" film camera .... and said I can have it to play with (as she knows I am always using my cameras and did mention I am getting an older camera to start up with film.

She brings it out ... covered in dust.

It's a Spotmatic SP ... with sunpak flash attached to a bracket.

I had to double take ... if i had only known earlier.
It does NEEED a CLA for sure ... but I have had a look around it and seems to be OK ... the focussing screen is a bit dirty ... mirror is CLEAN ... shutter seems to work OK ... timer works on the front.

One question ... how the hell do you get the film door open ... is there a trick ... or do some of these suffer from them seizing shut after some time?????

01-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does lifting the film rewind knob not do the trick? If not that, some old cameras have latches on the side of the door. Just a little tab you lift up. (Not sure if that is on Spotmatics or not).
01-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have lifted the rewind knob ... and nothing .. I have also tried levering the door open gently while tilting the door ... no luck.

What's the button on the bottom ... is that the rewind thingy for multiple exposures ... I am presuming it is as there is a dot on there and it turns when using a ball point pen.

I'll keep trying it and see how i go ... I am sure I'll figure it out.

What are the Sunpak DC3 flash unit's like?????

Hang on ... if i get a chance I'll set it up and take some initial shots of it.
01-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike ... you are a champ ... the film rewind lever lifted a little further than previously with a click and the door sprung open for me. Problem solved.

Can't half tell I'm a film SLR n00b.

01-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
Forum Member

The button on the bottom has 2 "uses". When you push it, it disconnects the film advance lever.

On my spotmatic f, you push it in and hold it while re-winding the film. I wind until I can both hear and feel the film go back into the canister - not sure if that is correct but it works.

You can also push in the bottom button to do a double exposure, but be careful - on mine - sometimes letting go of the button does not mean a perfect "re catch" of the film. The impact of this can be that there can be a non-standard space at this point between negatives. In fully auto developing labs, this has caused me trouble in the past.
01-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Well ... bought new batteries for the MZ50 ... loaded film ... turned it up ... nothing happened.
Film advances ... go to adjust aperture ... film advances.

WTF ... then I found the other thread ... bugger ... sounds like a DOA MZ-50 ... it used to work ... but i think after a while of no use ... and then be fired up ... something snapped internally.

Oh well ... I have another film camera on the way ... something much sturdier and that is tested to be working. I just need to drive up the coast to pick it up from a forum member.

Let's just say it starts with an "S" and has a working meter
Leave it to Mike Cash to convert people left and right to M42. He's basically a wonderful walking advertisement for those cameras and lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
There's no turning back once you're addicted. Don't say later that nobody warned you.
Mike, how about coining a term like "Screwmount Buying Addiction (SBA)" for it? Who knows, Pentax might take it up and Ned might be able to fix you up with a Takumar from Pentax's own vaults? Or a special edition Spotmatic model of your choice made and customized just for you, like what Leica does for exemplary photographers who rock Leicas?

Well ... put it this way ... I started in digital ... and now I will be entering the unknown with film.

I have had some film cameras a long time ago ... but no SLR.

Oh ... NEWSFLASH:

Was over my Mother-in-law's this morning helping clean up ... and she said to me she found an "old" film camera .... and said I can have it to play with (as she knows I am always using my cameras and did mention I am getting an older camera to start up with film.

She brings it out ... covered in dust.

It's a Spotmatic SP ... with sunpak flash attached to a bracket.

I had to double take ... if i had only known earlier.
It does NEEED a CLA for sure ... but I have had a look around it and seems to be OK ... the focussing screen is a bit dirty ... mirror is CLEAN ... shutter seems to work OK ... timer works on the front.

One question ... how the hell do you get the film door open ... is there a trick ... or do some of these suffer from them seizing shut after some time?????
What? Another freebie? Wow, you're lucky.
01-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Vinzer .... tell me about it ... I thought it was going to be just a plain 35 mm film camera ... I wasn't expecting a Spottie at all. Wen my Mother-in-Law came out of her spare room with it in hand ... she just non-challantly stated she was just going to throw it out ... not knowing what it was.

She literally tossed it at me ... not easy to catch with an base-mounted bracket with flash on the side.

It had attached a lens I have never seen before ... probably nothing spectacular. It's a:

Sun Hi-Tele ZOOM LENS F:4.8 85-210mm ... made by Sun Opt in Japan. It looks like a preset aperture zoom of sorts.

As i mentioned ... pics to come.

I did take Mike's suggestions in aother thread .... I chucked a cheap roll of Kodak Gold 200 I had I recently picked up for literally nothing .... it loaded much easier than i expected ... ad off i went with the Sunny 16 Rule (as meter is not working due to dead battery)

Snapped off about 5-10 shots .... although I think i forgot to switch the lens to Auto ... as I am pretty sure it is still in manual for the K10D for Stop Down metering. Meh. Cheap roll of film ... will shoot the rest soon and get it processed.
01-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Leave it to Mike Cash to convert people left and right to M42. He's basically a wonderful walking advertisement for those cameras and lenses.
I'm hoping to get a sweet endorsement deal when Pentax reissues Takumars and introduces a DSLR with the open-aperture metering M42 mount.

QuoteQuote:
Mike, how about coining a term like "Screwmount Buying Addiction (SBA)" for it? Who knows, Pentax might take it up and Ned might be able to fix you up with a Takumar from Pentax's own vaults? Or a special edition Spotmatic model of your choice made and customized just for you, like what Leica does for exemplary photographers who rock Leicas?
The Mike Cash Signature Edition? I'll have to work on my handwriting so as not to embarrass my mother (any more than I already have).

01-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It'd need to be The Mike "Takumar" Cash Signature Edition.

Or just the Mike Cash Takumar Edition
01-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I can see the advertising campaign now......"When Mike Cash told us Jesus has Takumars on backorder, we just knew we had to revive the line."

Maybe I could wear sandals and a robe and give seminars titled, " A Sermon on the Mount."
01-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #26
Banned

I can see the advertising campaign now......"When Mike Cash told us Jesus has Takumars on backorder, we just knew we had to revive the line."

Maybe I could wear sandals and a robe and give seminars titled, " A Sermon on the Mount."
ha! oh so clever.
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The Mike Cash Signature Edition? I'll have to work on my handwriting so as not to embarrass my mother (any more than I already have).
Your handwriting would be forgiven/of little concern once you're famous. Other celebrities have gotten away with more.

Vinzer .... tell me about it ... I thought it was going to be just a plain 35 mm film camera ... I wasn't expecting a Spottie at all. Wen my Mother-in-Law came out of her spare room with it in hand ... she just non-challantly stated she was just going to throw it out ... not knowing what it was.

She literally tossed it at me ... not easy to catch with an base-mounted bracket with flash on the side.

It had attached a lens I have never seen before ... probably nothing spectacular. It's a:

Sun Hi-Tele ZOOM LENS F:4.8 85-210mm ... made by Sun Opt in Japan. It looks like a preset aperture zoom of sorts.

As i mentioned ... pics to come.

I did take Mike's suggestions in aother thread .... I chucked a cheap roll of Kodak Gold 200 I had I recently picked up for literally nothing .... it loaded much easier than i expected ... ad off i went with the Sunny 16 Rule (as meter is not working due to dead battery)

Snapped off about 5-10 shots .... although I think i forgot to switch the lens to Auto ... as I am pretty sure it is still in manual for the K10D for Stop Down metering. Meh. Cheap roll of film ... will shoot the rest soon and get it processed.
Well, keep us posted. I'd be happy to know how your free Spottie turned out, as well as the performance of that Sun lens - first time I've heard of that lens.

Why not? I think those ideas will sell.
01-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Your handwriting would be forgiven/of little concern once you're famous. Other celebrities have gotten away with more.
And throughout the course of history men have been hanged for less.

I don't like my odds.
01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, keep us posted. I'd be happy to know how your free Spottie turned out, as well as the performance of that Sun lens - first time I've heard of that lens.
I don't know how it will perform .... i took it off the body of the Spottie ... and put the trusty 55mm f/1.8 on there prior to heading out the door the other afternoon.

I will get pics of it when time permits. I'm back at work now on dayshifts ... but from Thursday I am off again and then working weekends.
01-07-2009, 06:18 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MZ50 has a nice rubber cup that fits n the ME and maybe also in the Spottie
Also the flash cover is nice etc

just thinking in parts that could be used since it is DoA
I don't know how it will perform .... i took it off the body of the Spottie ... and put the trusty 55mm f/1.8 on there prior to heading out the door the other afternoon.

I will get pics of it when time permits. I'm back at work now on dayshifts ... but from Thursday I am off again and then working weekends.