Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My venture into film - a free MZ-50

Well ... the other day I mentioned in passing that I was going to look at getting into film ... just to have a go .. and a good learning experience.

My sister-in-law piped up and said she had a Pentax film SLR somewhere ... she last used it about 5 years ago before going to a digi P&S. She said if she can find it ... I can muck around with it.

Hey ... not bad at all I thought ... saves me hunting around for a camera on the net (mind you I will still probably look at getting a decent film camera later on).

Well ... this afternoon she showed me the camera (my wife's brother and his wife live on the same property as we do .. 2 houses/10 acres ... hence why we see them all the time).

I opened the small case to show a literally brand new MZ-50 (it's probably nothing flash ... but hey ... something to play with for now).

It also had a attached a Sigma 28-90mm Macro (f/3.5-5.6 or something like that) ... not bad I thought.

Now I just need to get a chance to play with it ... I have a spare M42 adaptor ... and now will look at getting a handheld light meter and just try out Manual with the screwmounts ... no harm in trying ... I know I am going to start off with crap shots. But what it will teach me is patience ... and composing my shots more carefully.

Now I have to get new batteries for it ... and have a chat to my friendly camera shop owner in my town (the guy who actually got me to look at and choose Pentax originally).

I am really looking forward to loading some film and having a go.

I just need to find a manual on this camera .. as it doesn't have one ... but looking at it ... it doesn't look like it's going to be too difficult.

12-15-2008, 04:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual is available at pentax-manuals.com for free
The MZ50 is a plastic-fantastic camera, not bad and the SIGMA lens that came with it is quite good IMHO. unfortunately it can not use the old M-lenses unless in Manual.

You can find the batteries quite easily, it is 2xCR2 batteries (about 7.50 Euro each around here) but if you like the mcamera tink of getting a AA power pack is very convenient

cheerios

Some opinions:
Pentax MZ-50 info

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Well ... snip-snip-snip

I opened the small case to show a literally brand new MZ-50 (it's probably nothing flash ... but hey ... something to play with for now).

It also had a attached a Sigma 28-90mm Macro (f/3.5-5.6 or something like that) ... not bad I thought.

Now I just need to get a chance to play with it ... I have a spare M42 adaptor ... and now will look at getting a handheld light meter and just try out Manual with the screwmounts ... no harm in trying ... I know I am going to start off with crap shots. But what it will teach me is patience ... and composing my shots more carefully.

Now I have to get new batteries for it ... and have a chat to my friendly camera shop owner in my town (the guy who actually got me to look at and choose Pentax originally).

I am really looking forward to loading some film and having a go.

I just need to find a manual on this camera .. as it doesn't have one ... but looking at it ... it doesn't look like it's going to be too difficult.
12-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information ... this is good.

I did realise when i took the Sigma lens off that it had a plastic mount on it ... and thought to myself that it must have been one of the cheaper/lower models.

But hey ... it's pretty much a freebie to use and see how it goes.

The lens is in very good condition ... I'll get a few snaps with it .. was going to test the lens on the K10D to see how it performed ... I am suspecting the Macro function to be a 1:3 or 1:2 magnification (it's only at 90mm that it can be utilised).

I thought as much when it comes to using the old manual glass ... so i might just get myself a handheld light meter and muck around with it.
12-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well ... it mentions that screwmount lenses can't be used ... surely though I should be able to try it in M mode ... and set shutter-speed myself. I really don't want to rely on the camera metering anyway.

Ahhh well ... I have a few lenses that will work with this camera anyway ... will be using the Sigma that came with it ... but will try my 28-70 f/2.8 ... the Zenitar fisheye ... and the trusty old FA50 for starters ... will report back how i go with screwmounts later though.

12-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll enjoy the MZ50! I had one for a week or so, but it died of the mirror-gear syndrome so I can not test anything.

The MZ-7 that I found later accepts the PK lenses and meters wide open, and the M42 lenses in Av and M modes (stop down though)
I even tried the 18-55 lens form the K100 and it works perfectly in all modes, some vignetting at 18, almost none at 24, none afterwards. Aperture can be controlled from the camera
12-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think i wil have fun with it ... and see what it's limitations are ... and see if it can stretch past it.

If I can't get my Taks to work ... so be it ... i then know I can look for another film body ... but for me ... a gift like this i can't pass up. I am keen to shoot some B&W through it.

Also like the film FOV ... I understand now how much the APS-C crop really alters shots on digital.

Hmmm ... never thought about using the kit lens ... I know i have a good copy as well.
12-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think i wil have fun with it ... and see what it's limitations are ... and see if it can stretch past it.

If I can't get my Taks to work ... so be it ... i then know I can look for another film body ... but for me ... a gift like this i can't pass up. I am keen to shoot some B&W through it.

Also like the film FOV ... I understand now how much the APS-C crop really alters shots on digital.

Hmmm ... never thought about using the kit lens ... I know i have a good copy as well.
4 steps to recovery from digital.

1. MZ-50
2. Buy a MZ-6
3. Addiction to the MZ-S
4. Get a LX
12-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Free is always a good price to pay for admission. Enjoy the ride.

12-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hee hee ... I initially blame Mike Cash for getting me into Takumars.
Now I am intrigued by film ... and it's gone from there.

Now I have been reading quite a bit on here ... and I really do love the look of the MZ-S for sure.

Although there is quite a number of film bodies out there from over the years ... and it's hard trying to figure out which one I'd prefer to get to suit me ... different film bodies with so many different features (none built equally either).

One thing I do want to do is shoot my Taks on a film body ... but then I'd like to use some of my K-mount lenses as well (especially my 16mm Zenitar ... and FF Sigma zoom).

Although i do like the look of the old skool cool Spotmatics/K1000s.
01-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well ... bought new batteries for the MZ50 ... loaded film ... turned it up ... nothing happened.
Film advances ... go to adjust aperture ... film advances.

WTF ... then I found the other thread ... bugger ... sounds like a DOA MZ-50 ... it used to work ... but i think after a while of no use ... and then be fired up ... something snapped internally.

Oh well ... I have another film camera on the way ... something much sturdier and that is tested to be working. I just need to drive up the coast to pick it up from a forum member.

Let's just say it starts with an "S" and has a working meter
01-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

There's no turning back once you're addicted. Don't say later that nobody warned you.
01-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

something to home your growing collection of Super Taks?

congrats!
01-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike ... I was warned ... it started with the Super Taks ... it was downhill after that ... hee hee

elkarrde ... This body i am getting also has a Super Tak 50 f/1.4 attached as well ... a lens i don't have yet. Although i never bothered getting one previously due to me owning and FA50f/1.4 already ... but now ... meh ... what's another Tak added to the collection anyway.
01-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Welcome back from the dark side. You'll probably experience some grogginess and an overwhelming urge to think more and shoot less. The grogginess passes.
01-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
There's no turning back once you're addicted. Don't say later that nobody warned you.
There is so much truth in this statement! Worse than LBA....