Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

storing uncut film

the place i get my film develop rolls up the film onto a circular cardboard cylinder (like a roll of tape). is it good to have my film curled up? or should i flatten it out and store it somewhere in its full length? or should i just cut it?

thanks

12-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I'd imagine cutting it into strips and storing it in archival sleeves will make it easier to scan & make prints in the future.

If it gets old enough to become brittle for some reason, I'd rather have it flat than curled.
12-15-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends, really, what you want to do with it, but in general you don't want it rolled up too tightly for long periods, at least. A good option if for whatever reason you want it uncut, is to put it in an old bulk film can or something similar: that way you can roll it up pretty loosely and it won't take too much of a curl. I think trying to store it flat and uncut would be bound to cause more trouble than it'd be worth.
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks! i didn't think having it curly was a good idea, i'll try to think of some storage solutions.

12-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, I just use Printfile sleeves, those work Ok. The thing about keeping film uncut is there's just a whole lot more potential for damage, so unless maybe you had a machine you feed them into, it really just makes more sense to cut them.
12-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Museums and art galleries that I know of (and I'm the curator of our local museum) always store their negs cut, flat, in proper archival quality inserts, and that's how I store my own. It's peace of mind.