Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 04:03 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, I'll have to put in the order now. I'm a little muffed I didn't ask about the seals before I bid on the camera. Oh well, live and learn.

02-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion, when you buy a vintage cam (especially one that's been sitting since digital came around), you should be expecting to re-do the seals.

The MX is very straightforward and a good place to start, if you've never done it before
03-27-2017, 06:40 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I realise that this is a very old thread, just wondering if Jon still does these seals and if not, where would I best go to get a set of seals for an ME Super?
03-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
I realise that this is a very old thread, just wondering if Jon still does these seals and if not, where would I best go to get a set of seals for an ME Super?
I don't think Jon sells them on ebay these days but I believe he still sells the kits privately. His email address is JGood21967@aol.com

There used to be a few sellers on ebay uk including Jon (user name Interslice) and another guy from Germany called Kameradoktor but even the German guy hasn't listed any seal kits for over a month. Its a bit worrying although none of my bodies need doing and I do have some spare seal material left over from previous seal kits. Good luck.

03-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently ordered a pack of various light seal materials from ebay. The company was millyscameras, the pack was £9.20, free postage. Entered "camera light seal" and buy it now to come across theirs and others doing these packs with cut it yourself to suit the body you have.
I'm not advocating this as a good option, just one I tried. I used the seals, cut them to size and followed some instructions I found on the forum to tidy up my K1000. I imagine there might be instructions for the ME Super somewhere on there too. I'm not good with this sort of thing, probably drink far too much coffee, but it was worth it.
I have another K1000 to do when I have a couple of hours stress free time and imagine it should be a doddle 2nd time around.
One thing I must stress is to dampen the self adhesive part of the seal (I used saliva on my finger) when fitting to enable the seal to be moved around before letting dry and fixing in place.
Our American cousins seem to have better and cheaper options available.
03-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I recently ordered a pack of various light seal materials from ebay. The company was millyscameras, the pack was £9.20, free postage. Entered "camera light seal" and buy it now to come across theirs and others doing these packs with cut it yourself to suit the body you have.
I'm not advocating this as a good option, just one I tried. I used the seals, cut them to size and followed some instructions I found on the forum to tidy up my K1000. I imagine there might be instructions for the ME Super somewhere on there too. I'm not good with this sort of thing, probably drink far too much coffee, but it was worth it.
I have another K1000 to do when I have a couple of hours stress free time and imagine it should be a doddle 2nd time around.
One thing I must stress is to dampen the self adhesive part of the seal (I used saliva on my finger) when fitting to enable the seal to be moved around before letting dry and fixing in place.
Our American cousins seem to have better and cheaper options available.
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions
I just use mouse mat and scissors & double sided pressure sensitive tape
03-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've e-mailed Pilgrim18 about materials/kits on ebay. If that doesn't work I'll try Jon

Thanks

03-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I don't think Jon sells them on ebay these days but I believe he still sells the kits privately. His email address is JGood21967@aol.com
This is correct since last I checked. I referred someone to his email about 6 months ago and they never pinged me back so I assumed it was sorted. I last ordered from Jon in late 2014 via his email. Just send a note to that address. He's is one of the most friendly and helpful fellas you'll deal with.
03-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Message sent, no response from others yet.

If I work out how to do these I'll do half a dozen for fun?
03-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice e-mail from Jon Goodman this morning. Light seal kits ordered now ;-)

Thanks folks
03-29-2017, 08:23 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice e-mail from Jon Goodman this morning. Light seal kits ordered now ;-)

Thanks folks
Just out of interest, could you provide some details on how much and what you are getting?
03-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One kit was going to be $12.50 inc postage, got 4 sets for $46. Payment via PayPal.
03-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One kit was going to be $12.50 inc postage, got 4 sets for $46. Payment via PayPal.

Thank you. Have a great time with them.
04-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

You'll appreciate Jon's non-adhesive material for the door seals.
04-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not long until I try first kit...the weekend looms large. And for my next trick I will work out how to dismantle and clean a Yashica Samurai Z Camera