Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME Super light seals?

Hey, I'm replacing some seals on an ME Super I just got, ...looks pretty straightforward.

Still, anyone know where they may be mapped, or who can tell me if there's supposed to be anything up and down the latch side of the door? Wanted to make sure nothing's missing entirely.

12-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The instructions by Jon Goodman are probably the best and most detailed you'll find anywhere. He is also a great source for the pre-cut foam sealing strips. I bought what is no doubt a lifetime supply from Jon for $10. I've done 4 cameras already and have enough for a dozen more!

Good luck!

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Pentax_ME.pdf
12-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
The instructions by Jon Goodman are probably the best and most detailed you'll find anywhere. He is also a great source for the pre-cut foam sealing strips. I bought what is no doubt a lifetime supply from Jon for $10. I've done 4 cameras already and have enough for a dozen more!

Good luck!

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Pentax_ME.pdf
Ah, good. I know of this guy's stuff. And, yeah, I've got some other stuff, but a friend got a foam supply from him we were just going to share, (Keep forgetting about that: I gather this fellow sells better stuff which is easier to work with than what I have. ) I've got some cameras with, eh, kind of marginal felt, no desperation there, but getting some of that would be good. Anyway, Thanks for the link. Lost track of this guy's site.

Assuming everything that needed to be there was in place, I'm about ready to put the last strip of foam in. . (checking link.) Aha. It seems that at least if this is the same as the ME, there is in fact a piece of foam missing on the latch side, though there's no sign it was ever present.

I put a piece in and it seems to fit up OK. Looking good to go, now, everything's nice and tight, now. Thanks.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-15-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Updates.
12-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I also bought the light seal kit from Jon Goodman a while ago, only replaced several mirror foam bumper before. Just replaced all the seals on my newly bought SuperProgram tonight, took me 3 hours! Well, it's the first camera that I sealed myself, not too bad I guess. I'll be much faster next time

Will do a test run in the next few days and see how the seal works ...

12-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I was kind of nervous doing my first seals (especially the mirror foam) but it's not really that difficult, just time consuming.

I would recommend John's kit 110%. His instructions are great, and he is very personable.

So far I've done my 3 SLRs with the kit...the MX, TLS, and ST801. The GSN will be done one of these days
12-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It seems that at least if this is the same as the ME, there is in fact a piece of foam missing on the latch side, though there's no sign it was ever present.
I put a piece in and it seems to fit up OK. Looking good to go, now, everything's nice and tight, now. Thanks.
There is a thin piece of foam that goes on the back (not the body) behind the shiny tab. As I recall that piece gave me some grief and wouldn't stick properly. I cut a new piece a tiny bit smaller than he recommended and it worked fine.

Of the 4 cameras I have done the ME Super was second hardest to do. The Canonet QL17 GIII was a pain!
12-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
There is a thin piece of foam that goes on the back (not the body) behind the shiny tab. As I recall that piece gave me some grief and wouldn't stick properly. I cut a new piece a tiny bit smaller than he recommended and it worked fine.

Of the 4 cameras I have done the ME Super was second hardest to do. The Canonet QL17 GIII was a pain!
Hrm. I didn't have a problem with that piece on the back... Good thing I checked, though... it just didn't look like there'd ever *been* anything in there.

Just did the same job on a Canonet like that, ...that one did seem a lot harder than it had to be (though that could have just been my arthritis acting up.) Another case of a marginal felt seal, though, and I had to stop and pack it away before I was fully confident of my work. (I'd been wanting to get the job out of the way before a move, you see. Haven't gotten back to it.)

I have been thinking I might order a kit from Mr. Goodman, despite a friend's offer to share what he got, just to show general approval for the guy.
12-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I didn't do a piece behind the metal tab lol...no problems here on the MX (although...the design might differ a little).

12-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I sent all my film bodies to Eric . Best thing I could have done.
12-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I didn't do a piece behind the metal tab lol...no problems here on the MX (although...the design might differ a little).
It's a slight puzzle whether it's only needed on the ME or what, but if it's unnecessary here, it doesn't seem it could bother anything. ...and makes the back feel that much more snug, which is always a good feeling.

As for this Eric, he certainly seems well-regarded, ...if this camera turns out to want for calibration, I intend to give him a try. Probably, eventually, I won't be able to resist some LX or MX and there could be that, too. But there's no reason I can't do my own seals. I've been taking cameras apart since I was so high.
12-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Just run a cheap film through it to see if it's ok.

I use Walgreens film and have a CD made to test a camera. When the film's on sale, it's just over $1 per roll + $5 for processing/CD. Not bad at all
02-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #12

New/old MX

I just purchased a black MX for my wife off ebay and the light seals are shot, both those around the mirror and on the door. I've tried to find this Jon Goodman fellow but can't seem to track down any auctions. Does anyone know his seller name or if he has an ebay store, a link? She would like to get the camera up and running asap.

Thanks
02-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kansas_parker Quote
I just purchased a black MX for my wife off ebay and the light seals are shot, both those around the mirror and on the door. I've tried to find this Jon Goodman fellow but can't seem to track down any auctions. Does anyone know his seller name or if he has an ebay store, a link? She would like to get the camera up and running asap.

Thanks
Here is a link to Jon Goodman and his instructions.
In the first paragraph you'll see his email.
He has sales on Ebay too or you can deal directly with him.

Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions
02-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hey, how proper. Just 20 minutes ago I copied down the dimensions for the seals, and after I've read the forum, off to do the ME Super

John is "interslice" on ebay...great guy to deal with.
02-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kansas_parker Quote
I just purchased a black MX for my wife off ebay

Aww! How sweet of you!