Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Better add...never tried the smaller rechargeables, only AA.

On digi bodies it's nice to go without the grip--only use mine when on a tripod collared lens for extended periods. The K10/K20 grip is just so clunky, heavy and ill fitting. However the MZS and grip are so much nicer, I hardly ever take the grip off. Thus, never really tested the smaller lithiums or smaller rechargeables.

Get great lifespan from those same sized small lithiums in my Hasselblad XpanII however. No complaints on the lithiums at all--other than cost (add up fuel, time, gear, insurance etc. and batteries are a tiny annual cost. Most people couldn't use $100 worth of batteries per year in a dream, but most of us on this forum spend $100 on a gear item without noticing it.)

12-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Get great lifespan from those same sized small lithiums in my Hasselblad XpanII however. No complaints on the lithiums at all--other than cost (add up fuel, time, gear, insurance etc. and batteries are a tiny annual cost. Most people couldn't use $100 worth of batteries per year in a dream, but most of us on this forum spend $100 on a gear item without noticing it.)
*drool* XpanII
12-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #18
Site Supporter

K100D--sorry to do this to you, but the Hassy is even better than the reviews indicate--beyond words...
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
why is that?

considering you can interchange film

12-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Gosh, I said I couldn't put it into words...but a partial try (yes, this would now officially count as a hijack--but with the OP's permission):
1 One click panos. The format itself is quite stunning. So much so that many digital software products exist to help digital photographers emulate this shape and size of image. The nice part of the Hasselblad alternative is it is as simple as a single shutter click and the image is rendered. How to print and display takes extra steps either digitally or on film, but the capture itself is just so super easy on the Hassy.
2. It's small and easy to use. Other medium format pano cameras like the Technorama or Fuji 6x17 cameras are rather massive and complex. Hassy is a small rangefinder that (I hate to say this) is almost point and shoot simple. The whole kit fits in a very small case or bag. My kit is just the body and two lenses plus a Pentax flash and few accessories like the level that should be used for each shot, but isn't always esp. when handheld.
3. The lens performance exceeds expectations--sharpness, contrast, color, vibrance or anything else you want to judge by. OK...I haven't and don't intend to judge things that could be called pixel peeping. Have no clue about purple fringing, or other chromatic aberations, comma aberations or any of that. All I know is the chromes look phenomenal on the light table with a loupe (I use the Pentax 5.5x APO loupe) and print to wall size with GREAT success. As a side note, these lenses were made for Hasselblad by Fuji.
4. Metering accuracy exceeds expectations. How the hell do they get an unsophisticated (technically) center-weighted meter to work with that elongated pano format? Beats me, but the meter is as trustworthy as any I've used...and I'm a matrix metered kind of guy.
5. Compatibility is admirable. The two lenses I have--45/22 and 90/45 (first number is 35mm shape, second is pano shape with the equivelant size being based on angle of view)--both lenses use 49mm front filters which allows me to fit my favorite outdoor filter, the Pentax Cloudy which is better than 81A because it is less amber and more reddish. Almost like the CC05R used extensively by Mark and David Meunch--the god's of the coffee table book. My now worthless AF500FTZ flashes work surprisingly well on the Hassy as fill light for outdoor flash (not automated, but it's only fill anyway). It fits in several different 35mm bags, satchels and Pelican cases I already owned. Shoots both panos and 35mm on the same roll of easily obtained 35mm film. Never seen the 35mm images as I've only used it in pano mode.
6. This baby is built! Surprisingly heavy and substantial. All metal body with rubberized grips. You can feel the fact that this is built as a pro's tool. Hopefully, I'll be shooting it until I pass it down to my son.
12-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Here's the battery life table from the MZ-S manual:
Attached Images

12-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Gosh, I said I couldn't put it into words...but a partial try (yes, this would now officially count as a hijack--but with the OP's permission):
1 One click panos. The format itself is quite stunning. So much so that many digital software products exist to help digital photographers emulate this shape and size of image. The nice part of the Hasselblad alternative is it is as simple as a single shutter click and the image is rendered. How to print and display takes extra steps either digitally or on film, but the capture itself is just so super easy on the Hassy.
2. It's small and easy to use. Other medium format pano cameras like the Technorama or Fuji 6x17 cameras are rather massive and complex. Hassy is a small rangefinder that (I hate to say this) is almost point and shoot simple. The whole kit fits in a very small case or bag. My kit is just the body and two lenses plus a Pentax flash and few accessories like the level that should be used for each shot, but isn't always esp. when handheld.
3. The lens performance exceeds expectations--sharpness, contrast, color, vibrance or anything else you want to judge by. OK...I haven't and don't intend to judge things that could be called pixel peeping. Have no clue about purple fringing, or other chromatic aberations, comma aberations or any of that. All I know is the chromes look phenomenal on the light table with a loupe (I use the Pentax 5.5x APO loupe) and print to wall size with GREAT success. As a side note, these lenses were made for Hasselblad by Fuji.
4. Metering accuracy exceeds expectations. How the hell do they get an unsophisticated (technically) center-weighted meter to work with that elongated pano format? Beats me, but the meter is as trustworthy as any I've used...and I'm a matrix metered kind of guy.
5. Compatibility is admirable. The two lenses I have--45/22 and 90/45 (first number is 35mm shape, second is pano shape with the equivelant size being based on angle of view)--both lenses use 49mm front filters which allows me to fit my favorite outdoor filter, the Pentax Cloudy which is better than 81A because it is less amber and more reddish. Almost like the CC05R used extensively by Mark and David Meunch--the god's of the coffee table book. My now worthless AF500FTZ flashes work surprisingly well on the Hassy as fill light for outdoor flash (not automated, but it's only fill anyway). It fits in several different 35mm bags, satchels and Pelican cases I already owned. Shoots both panos and 35mm on the same roll of easily obtained 35mm film. Never seen the 35mm images as I've only used it in pano mode.
6. This baby is built! Surprisingly heavy and substantial. All metal body with rubberized grips. You can feel the fact that this is built as a pro's tool. Hopefully, I'll be shooting it until I pass it down to my son.
that is pure evil Ron. pure evil... now you got me looking at them
12-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if other users are indoor only or what, but rechargeable batteries don't work in the field outdoors.
My experience is the same. Cold in particular as you note.

12-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Aren't litiums supposed to last a good while longer in cold weather versus NiMH etc? Can't remember...

And aren't CR2s lithium? Can't think off-hand on that, either :/
12-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

^^
yes and yes