Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Sekonics are great!
I have one from the 70s, I bought it second hand in the late 80s
Does not use battery and keeps ticking
At a certain point I found a Minolta spotmeter at a yard sale, but it is too cumbersome to carry

Last edited by titrisol; 12-28-2008 at 12:24 PM.
12-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I recommend quite highly the Sekonic Flashmate 308s. It does a beautiful job of metering both ambient and incident, and it is a flash meter as well. It really is the best meter I've ever used and I picked it up for < 125.00 used but like new on eBay. Fits nicely in a shirt chest pocket, and it goes everywhere with me.

woof
Thanks woof, You answered my next question even before I asked it. I had already made up my mind that I was going to get one, but had no clue as to what.
12-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I always find myself setting up shots and just generally moving slower with my Spotmatic,
Yes, and yes and this is what has been a + for me. Slowing down has caused me to see more in the seen.
12-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Thanks Seamus. I am not sure what model of Spotmatic I purchased but it has flash shoe. Anyway, here is the link to the model I just purchased. Perhaps someone can tell me what model it is or say if I have just purchased a dud!

Vintage PENTAX ASAHI SPOTMATIC II CAMERA Excellent cond on eBay, also, 35mm SLR, Film Cameras, Cameras Photo (end time 24-Dec-08 19:14:56 GMT)

Ebay always involves a risk but I threw caution to the wind and went for it.

BTW HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL. If you don't celebrate Christmas then HAPPY DAYS! I hope the season will bring you at least one or two cute Pentax accessories.
Brianog, Imagine my surprise when I was casually reading posts on this forum when I came to your post and saw your link to ebay. I'm also looking for a Spotmatic so I clicked on the link. That was the same one I was bidding on! It sure looked good too. Make sure you let us know what kind of shape it's in when you get it. Anyway hope you enjoy it and wish me luck in my quest to join you in the Spotmatic club.

12-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I have decided to start looking for a Spotmatic II myself.
12-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the light meter, take a look also at the Sekonic L-208. Tiny little thing that comes with a hotshoe mount. I take it around when using my cameras that don't have meters. Of course, if you can find a deal on the 308 (with the added flash meter functions) then jump on it with both feet.

I like the Spotmatic ESII because I can both shoot and meter from open-aperture. Just set the shutter speed dial to "Automatic", choose your aperture, and shoot. The ESII was the ME Super of the M42 era.
12-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
For the light meter, take a look also at the Sekonic L-208. Tiny little thing that comes with a hotshoe mount. I take it around when using my cameras that don't have meters. Of course, if you can find a deal on the 308 (with the added flash meter functions) then jump on it with both feet.

I like the Spotmatic ESII because I can both shoot and meter from open-aperture. Just set the shutter speed dial to "Automatic", choose your aperture, and shoot. The ESII was the ME Super of the M42 era.
Thanks Mike. There is an Old camera show coming up in Pasadena ::Welcome to Bargain Camera Show!:: and hopefully I will find some good used gear including a light meter, but especially an ESII.

12-29-2008, 05:35 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Good info there. I'm carrying around a Capital light meter (looks and sounds generic, but does its job), but it would be nice to have a meter that clips on the hotshoe, just so I'd have less stuff dangling from my neck.

ESII, eh? You quite possibly have spiked up interest (and hence, eBay price) of the camera with your recommendation.
12-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #69
Banned

I have an ESII as well. its a damn fine camera. as one would expect from a spotmatic. but for some reason U just enjoy using my SP more than any other. it is just so simplistic and easy to use. it just feels right. my ESII doesn't get all the love it deserves I guess.
12-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #70
Inactive Account

I have an ESII as well. its a damn fine camera. as one would expect from a spotmatic. but for some reason U just enjoy using my SP more than any other. it is just so simplistic and easy to use. it just feels right. my ESII doesn't get all the love it deserves I guess.
Séamuis, if you feel this way and you are moving in the direction of using an external meter, please do have a look at and try either an H3/S3 or an SV/H3V. These cameras, IMHO, have better focusing screens than the Spotmatic. Basically the micro-prism focusing grid is much larger and I personally find it easier and faster to focus. The form factor is just a little smaller too, and they are a joy to handle.

Not much else different from a Spotmatic other than the self timer, film counter reset, and red-dot cocked indicator are absent from the H3 and the the self-timer is on the top left dial on the SV. While it is a little more prosaic, somehow just as you prefer the Spotmatic over the ESII, I prefer the S3.

Seaain
12-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #71
Veteran Member

I guess the ESII probably gets that a lot. People looking for an old-skool change of pace may find that it has enough "modern" features that it just doesn't feel like enough manual involvement. For somebody like myself who has and uses M42s extensively and just wants a good, easy, fun film camera, it's great.

When I want to go super simplistic I have the SV, which feature-wise is essentially a Spotmatic SL from before the Spotmatic series came out.

I went out for a walk Saturday and took the SV and 35/2. Today I used the ESII a bit.
12-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #72
Banned

I have never really thought about purchasing a pre-spotmatic pentax, but that sounds like a hell of an idea! I appreciate the insight on model choices I will be looking into that. I wont be making a purchase in the near future though as I just acquired a 6x7 and the next fund eater will be a 105 2.8 lens and a CLA for the body. I might even look into selling the ESII to fund the purchase of one of these recommendations. (if I can bring myself to do that) I assume m42 backwards compatability wont be an issue?
12-29-2008, 06:46 AM   #73
Site Supporter

Séamuis, if you feel this way and you are moving in the direction of using an external meter, please do have a look at and try either an H3/S3 or an SV/H3V. These cameras, IMHO, have better focusing screens than the Spotmatic. Basically the micro-prism focusing grid is much larger and I personally find it easier and faster to focus. The form factor is just a little smaller too, and they are a joy to handle.

Not much else different from a Spotmatic other than the self timer, film counter reset, and red-dot cocked indicator are absent from the H3 and the the self-timer is on the top left dial on the SV. While it is a little more prosaic, somehow just as you prefer the Spotmatic over the ESII, I prefer the S3.

Seaain
Woof, What is the focusing screen like on the '1957' Pentax?
12-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #74
Inactive Account

I might even look into selling the ESII to fund the purchase of one of these recommendations. (if I can bring myself to do that) I assume m42 backwards compatability wont be an issue?
Séamuis M42 is not an issue - with one NOTABLE exception. The early SV (1962-1964) and the S3 have a mirror box that will NOT accommodate the f/1.4 50mm lens. There are plenty of good alternatives - the f/1.8 55mm "Auto" Takumar (prototype/forerunner of the Super Takumar and the standard lens for the S3) and Super Takumar f/1.8 55mm are great lenses.

If you really want the compatibility with the f/1.4 50mm, make sure you purchase a later SV (1964-1968), which can be recognized by an orange "R" on rewind knob (instead of green) and the fact that the catch for the back is attached to the body instead of to the back.

woof!
12-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #75
Banned

Séamuis M42 is not an issue - with one NOTABLE exception. The early SV (1962-1964) and the S3 have a mirror box that will NOT accommodate the f/1.4 50mm lens. There are plenty of good alternatives - the f/1.8 55mm "Auto" Takumar (prototype/forerunner of the Super Takumar and the standard lens for the S3) and Super Takumar f/1.8 55mm are great lenses.

If you really want the compatibility with the f/1.4 50mm, make sure you purchase a later SV (1964-1968), which can be recognized by an orange "R" on rewind knob (instead of green) and the fact that the catch for the back is attached to the body instead of to the back.

woof!
oh well that is good news! I don't own a Takumar 1.4 50mm, I only own all 55's as the 1.8 55mm is by far my favourite pentax lens. I own the K mount, the SMC, S-M-C, and Super Takumar versions. I don't own an auto-takumar at all, but I can only guess my first one will be a 1.8 55mm.