Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #91
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Ok, I quit!...This image is simply breath taking!....
I would print that large and put it in my living room.
Such a beautiful shot, especially the water and reflections on the harbor. I know I'm biased, but I do like this version better than the K20D version. And if you keep posting shots like this Mike, I'm going to have to start looking for an ES myself.

01-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Thanks, Javier. I like the DNP Centuria film primarily because it is cheap cheap cheap.

Here's another shot from the same night, different location. I posted a K20D version of this in the Takumar Club thread.

Pentax Spotmatic ESII
S-M-C Takumar 35/2
DNP Centuria 400

Again, nothing could be easier than doing that sort of shot with the ESII. Compose, focus, turn the shutter dial close down the blinds, and click.........click.
Mike, I salute you. I don't think I've ever gotten such a keeper in my ventures with film. The ESII alone couldn't have taken such a wonderful shot.

By the way, the grain on that Centuria looks relatively fine, especially for an ASA 400 film. Could you comment further on that? Thanks!
01-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #93
Veteran Member

I don't believe Mike took this image ... I can't see his truck in the shot

Nice work as always ... the colours are astounding ... even for a cheap film.
This would look pretty damn good enlarged and printed.
01-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Mike, I salute you. I don't think I've ever gotten such a keeper in my ventures with film. The ESII alone couldn't have taken such a wonderful shot.
Trust me; all I did was point and focus the thing. That's the beauty of the ESII. It really does do all the heavy lifting regarding exposure.

QuoteQuote:
By the way, the grain on that Centuria looks relatively fine, especially for an ASA 400 film. Could you comment further on that? Thanks!
Being one of the modern color dye cloud emulsions real genuine "grain" isn't there like it is in silver halide films. There may have been some more than appears in the photo, but since it was scanned I did run it through NoiseWare on the "film grain" setting so as not to mess with it too much.

Centuria will probably never win any popularity contests but I like it just fine. I think that was my first roll of 400. Up until now I've always used 200 because it is the only speed that comes in 10 roll bricks and because it is a handy speed for my Meica 35 toy camera to boot. And I have an old Kodak 35 RF (1946) with a max aperture of f16 and a max shutter speed of 1/200. As you can see, anything over ISO 200 isn't going to work very well in broad daylight.

When I'm shooting film I'm not really out to get any world-stopping images. I'm just out to have fun farting around with the old cameras. So cheapo film is just fine for me.

01-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So cheapo film is just fine for me.
I have 5 film bodies that I keep loaded. All but one have film from the 99cents store (USUALLY). I keep one body with ''good'' film, primarily because I like Tri-x and BW400CN that I alternate in that ME SUPER. Now in saying this, I have tried many different color films from cheap to expensive and see very little difference. Technique and exposer make more difference.
01-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Trust me; all I did was point and focus the thing. That's the beauty of the ESII. It really does do all the heavy lifting regarding exposure.

Being one of the modern color dye cloud emulsions real genuine "grain" isn't there like it is in silver halide films. There may have been some more than appears in the photo, but since it was scanned I did run it through NoiseWare on the "film grain" setting so as not to mess with it too much.

Centuria will probably never win any popularity contests but I like it just fine. I think that was my first roll of 400. Up until now I've always used 200 because it is the only speed that comes in 10 roll bricks and because it is a handy speed for my Meica 35 toy camera to boot. And I have an old Kodak 35 RF (1946) with a max aperture of f16 and a max shutter speed of 1/200. As you can see, anything over ISO 200 isn't going to work very well in broad daylight.

When I'm shooting film I'm not really out to get any world-stopping images. I'm just out to have fun farting around with the old cameras. So cheapo film is just fine for me.
I see, the make-up of the film must be the difference-maker. That's something new to me. Thanks.

I have only tried ASA 400 once, the rest of the film stock at home are a mish-mash of el cheapo films, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I have 5 film bodies that I keep loaded. All but one have film from the 99cents store (USUALLY). I keep one body with ''good'' film, primarily because I like Tri-x and BW400CN that I alternate in that ME SUPER. Now in saying this, I have tried many different color films from cheap to expensive and see very little difference. Technique and exposer make more difference.
I agree that technique and exposure makes the most difference.