Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally speaking, I have a really nice spotty and a couple of K1000's and much prefer the K1000's by a mile. In fact, I am rarely with out a K1000.

I have found that the internal meter (that needle) is more accurate in the K1000. It is very sensative and jumpy in the spotty.

I have a Pentax adapter so I can use M42 lenses on my K1000 so that advantage is gone.

But what really bothers me about the spotmatic is that it is hard to see through the view finder when using Lenses that have small apertures. I have a really cool 35mm F/2.8 that is really hard to use, so I use it on my K1000. I thought it was a problem with my Spotty, but turns out this is normal.

12-23-2008, 04:24 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteQuote:
But what really bothers me about the spotmatic is that it is hard to see through the view finder when using Lenses that have small apertures. I have a really cool 35mm F/2.8 that is really hard to use, so I use it on my K1000. I thought it was a problem with my Spotty, but turns out this is normal.
2.8 is a small aperture?
12-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
2.8 is a small aperture?
Technically no, but it behaves that way in the spotty. Because the orifice or that rear element is small compared to say an F1/4 there is less light available to see through the view finder. Perhaps Nesster can explain it better as he was one who affirmed to me what I was dealing with my.
12-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2.8? geee man!
I used the 200/4 for a long time and it was quite bright
The 28/3.5 is bright enough, so a 2.8 should be more than fine

I reckon the ME is way brighter than the Spottie (Almost like the Fujica) but no complains from my side

12-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
2.8? geee man!
I used the 200/4 for a long time and it was quite bright
The 28/3.5 is bright enough, so a 2.8 should be more than fine

I reckon the ME is way brighter than the Spottie (Almost like the Fujica) but no complains from my side
I use a Tele-Takumar 6.3 300mm preset on my Spotmatics) I have an SP, SPII, F, ESII and it has never seemed to dim. certainly dimmer than my MX, but we are talking about two very different cameras. I do know that the Spotmatics, particularly the early ones had a much dimmer viewfinder than later cameras including the K series. my SP is dimmer than my ESII and certainly dimmer than my MX or ME F or SuperA but not so much so that I have a hard time focusing. I have a harder time doing so with my K110D and my K-m than I do with any of my Spotmatics.
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

titrisol, I hear you and really the ME Super is totally the best view finder. Do you have or have you ever used a spoty?

Seamuis, Indeed I have one of the oldest ones and from what I understand the newer spoties had much better view finder and it was not so much of a problem. My eye sight is not that great anymore, but still..I get the focus spot on with my other bodies.
12-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
. . .

That wouldn't be as big of an issue with the Spot F, ES or ES II when using an SMC tak lens with open aperture metering. In fact, the Spot F is a lot like using the KM or K1000.

12-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That wouldn't be as big of an issue with the Spot F, ES or ES II when using an SMC tak lens with open aperture metering. In fact, the Spot F is a lot like using the KM or K1000.
When I do use my spoty, it is always with open aperture metering. Tomorrow I will attempt to photograph what I have and what I am seeing. When I use my 55 f/1.8 it is no problem at all. The problem comes with my other lenses.
12-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter

When I do use my spoty, it is always with open aperture metering. Tomorrow I will attempt to photograph what I have and what I am seeing. When I use my 55 f/1.8 it is no problem at all. The problem comes with my other lenses.
What lenses are giving you problems? The SMC tak 400 f5.6, and SMC tak 500 don't work with open aperture like the rest of the SMC lenses.
12-24-2008, 02:13 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I have 2 Spotties. An SP and a "F." (and a collection of 8 Takumar lenses.)
I find that the light meter on the older SP is more accurate than on the younger "F".
Other than that, they are the 2 camera bodies that I will never part with.
What's great about them? They are solidly built and feel it. Perfect size in my hands and what about the solid metallic "clunk" and ring of the shutter when it's released?
It is such a lovely sound.
12-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should be metering with the lens stopped down to your shooting aperture.

The great thing about the F/ES/ESII is that the S-M-C and SMC lenses are capable of telling the light meter what aperture you have selected on the lens and there is no need to stop down. That's why I love my ESII so much and why I always try to buy only S-M-C and SMC lenses when possible.
12-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You should be metering with the lens stopped down to your shooting aperture.

The great thing about the F/ES/ESII is that the S-M-C and SMC lenses are capable of telling the light meter what aperture you have selected on the lens and there is no need to stop down. That's why I love my ESII so much and why I always try to buy only S-M-C and SMC lenses when possible.
Mike, I have tried that also, but still same results. I should have mentioned that when I first bought the camera, I sent it off to Eric as the internal light meter was not working. He went through the whole thing and it looks and works great. Just the view finder makes it difficult. I am going out this morning to the San Gabriel River. I will attempt to shoot a roll with the three lenses I have (m42 mount) I will also shoot the gear as all these different spottoes are starting to confuse me.
12-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You mean you can meter wide open, then close down to f16 and not have a black photo?
12-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Well I have just bought my first Spotmatic on ebay. Now I hear it suffers with dim viewfinder! Not to worry, I embrace all it's quirks and foibles! Anyway, it has to travel half way around the world before it arrives to it's new home! So I am thinking mid-January the earliest. Thanks again for all the help, advice, encouragement and amusing comments.
12-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Well I have just bought my first Spotmatic on ebay. Now I hear it suffers with dim viewfinder! Not to worry, I embrace all it's quirks and foibles! Anyway, it has to travel half way around the world before it arrives to it's new home! So I am thinking mid-January the earliest. Thanks again for all the help, advice, encouragement and amusing comments.
I am assuming you purchased an SP (the one without a flash shoe)? I just purchased an SP to go along with my other spotmatics as well. dim or not, you will love it, I assure you.