Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #31

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I am assuming you purchased an SP (the one without a flash shoe)? I just purchased an SP to go along with my other spotmatics as well. dim or not, you will love it, I assure you.
Thanks Seamus. I am not sure what model of Spotmatic I purchased but it has flash shoe. Anyway, here is the link to the model I just purchased. Perhaps someone can tell me what model it is or say if I have just purchased a dud!

Vintage PENTAX ASAHI SPOTMATIC II CAMERA Excellent cond on eBay, also, 35mm SLR, Film Cameras, Cameras Photo (end time 24-Dec-08 19:14:56 GMT)

Ebay always involves a risk but I threw caution to the wind and went for it.

BTW HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL. If you don't celebrate Christmas then HAPPY DAYS! I hope the season will bring you at least one or two cute Pentax accessories.

12-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Thanks Seamus. I am not sure what model of Spotmatic I purchased but it has flash shoe. Anyway, here is the link to the model I just purchased. Perhaps someone can tell me what model it is or say if I have just purchased a dud!

Vintage PENTAX ASAHI SPOTMATIC II CAMERA Excellent cond on eBay, also, 35mm SLR, Film Cameras, Cameras Photo (end time 24-Dec-08 19:14:56 GMT)

Ebay always involves a risk but I threw caution to the wind and went for it.

BTW HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL. If you don't celebrate Christmas then HAPPY DAYS! I hope the season will bring you at least one or two cute Pentax accessories.

that is a Spotmatic II otherwise known as an SPII or Spotmatic SPII. it is the second variant of the Spotmatic and the first one with a built in flash shoe. released in 1971. (it has a brighter viewfinder than the original spotmatic) you also have an excellent lens! the 1.8 55mm is by far my favourite. not as loved as the 1.4 50mm but a great lens none the less. it looks to be in great shape! I think you got a great deal, if the mirror foam and light seals are ok. if you can afford it, it ight be a good idea to send it to Eric Hendrickson or maybe somewhere in Eire or the UK for a CLA. http://pentaxs.com/index.html ( I got a SPII body here on the marketplace for $5)

here is a manual for you if you need it. password is: Pentax
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/pentax_spotmatic_ii_early_s.pdf
12-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that is a Spotmatic II otherwise known as an SPII or Spotmatic SPII. it is the second variant of the Spotmatic and the first one with a built in flash shoe. released in 1971. (it has a brighter viewfinder than the original spotmatic) you also have an excellent lens! the 1.8 55mm is by far my favourite. not as loved as the 1.4 50mm but a great lens none the less. it looks to be in great shape! I think you got a great deal, if the mirror foam and light seals are ok. if you can afford it, it ight be a good idea to send it to Eric Hendrickson or maybe somewhere in Eire or the UK for a CLA. Home ( I got a SPII body here on the marketplace for $5)

here is a manual for you if you need it. password is: Pentax
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/pentax_spotmatic_ii_early_s.pdf
Thanks Seamus for those links and positive confirmation. I have a kit for replacing seals and mirror foams and have successfully replaced seals and foam on two K1000 so the Spotmatic should be no problem. I have sent Pentax cameras to Harrow (London) for repairs and was satisfied but this Eric-guy you suggested looks a lot more capable and professional. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I look forward to getting some Takumar lenses. I still believe in Santa! I just know he exists!
12-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Brianog Quote
Thanks Seamus for those links and positive confirmation. I have a kit for replacing seals and mirror foams and have successfully replaced seals and foam on two K1000 so the Spotmatic should be no problem. I have sent Pentax cameras to Harrow (London) for repairs and was satisfied but this Eric-guy you suggested looks a lot more capable and professional. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I look forward to getting some Takumar lenses. I still believe in Santa! I just know he exists!
well then you should be set to go! show us some photos when you get to try it out.

12-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
séamuis, I have really enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you!
I did take out my Spoty today and shot a roll of BW400CN and inspight of the dim view finder, what a blast I had. It is so cold outside (low 50's) and raining and what a great time I had with my son and friend. We went out to the L.A. river. Here is a pic of my spoty. On my the the shoe for the flash comes off. It simply says SP.
My humble M42 lens kit consist of a 35mm F/3.5 (I said f/2.8 earlier and was wrong), a 55mm F/1.8, 135mm F/3.5, and a 200mm F/4....With the 35mm lens it is very hard to use. There simply is not enough light.

12-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Here are some images I shot today with my spoty. What a blast! Cold weather, raining, what fun...

These are quick scans

12-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K1000 is better because it can use K bayonet mount lenses,
plus M42 screwmount lenses using an inexpensive adapter.

The Spotmatics cannot use K mount lenses.

Chris

12-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Chris, I am glad you brought that up. That is what I have been doing. Using my M42 lenses on my K1000's. Great point!
12-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spottie.... well, I have one that my dad bought new in Japan around 1972 and I learned to take pics with it.
Then got a Honeywell one :

I use it normally with 2.8 and even 4.0 or 6.3 lenses no problem....
Maybe mine is a newer model :?

I see you have the beautiful 135/3.5 and the 200/4... those whould be as dim as the 35/3.5 but I foind them very usable
even with the 28/3.5 and the 17/4 which have very small rear elements

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
titrisol, I hear you and really the ME Super is totally the best view finder. Do you have or have you ever used a spoty?

Seamuis, Indeed I have one of the oldest ones and from what I understand the newer spoties had much better view finder and it was not so much of a problem. My eye sight is not that great anymore, but still..I get the focus spot on with my other bodies.

Last edited by titrisol; 12-25-2008 at 12:26 PM.
12-25-2008, 05:46 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
You know, I bought some M lenses thinking I would eventually end up with enough K-mount film bodies to make it worthwhile. As it is, I only have an ME. Using M lenses on digital is (to me, anyway) annoying and I'd rather just use my Takumars.

So I have ended up with K20D, K100D, Spotmatic ESII, and SV......all of which either actually are M42 bodies or which get used by me as though they were. And the only reason I haven't used my ME yet as an aperture-priority M42 body is that the ESII fills that function, does it with open-aperture metering, and has more features to boot.

That a camera can use K-mounts is not something I think of as an appealing feature. I'm far more likely to base further acquisitions on what can make best use of my Takumars.
12-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
séamuis, I have really enjoyed reading your comments. Thank you!
I did take out my Spoty today and shot a roll of BW400CN and inspight of the dim view finder, what a blast I had. It is so cold outside (low 50's) and raining and what a great time I had with my son and friend. We went out to the L.A. river. Here is a pic of my spoty. On my the the shoe for the flash comes off. It simply says SP.
My humble M42 lens kit consist of a 35mm F/3.5 (I said f/2.8 earlier and was wrong), a 55mm F/1.8, 135mm F/3.5, and a 200mm F/4....With the 35mm lens it is very hard to use. There simply is not enough light.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed using the Spotmatic, I can see that you have a great kit! and I applaud you for going out when its so cold! those are some lovely photos you shared, and it makes me smile to see your son enjoying photography with you. you have an SP, or Spotmatic SP which is the original Spotmatic released in 1964. a camera well ahead of its time when you consider what most people were using then. I especially enjoy this camera because its simplicity in both use and asethic desgin. I can understand how the viewfinder would be considerably dimmer at 3.5 when you consider that the SP has no way of using open-aperture metering. so the difference in light getting in between 1.8 and 3.5 is a considerable amount. and yes the focusing screen itself isnt as bright as later models. your m42 collection may be humble but its great none the less. you have the 55mm 1.8. that is by far my favourite lens whether K mount or m42. and I use it more than any other. in fact its mounted to my K-m right now.
12-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Nothing particularly humble about that 35 and 55. When I'm on foot those two are practically all I use.
12-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Nothing particularly humble about that 35 and 55. When I'm on foot those two are practically all I use.
his collection is humble in size. you are right there is nothing humble about the 55. a top performer.
12-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #44
Veteran Member

When two will do the trick, the number at home on the shelf really doesn't matter.
12-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
When two will do the trick, the number at home on the shelf really doesn't matter.
cant argue with that at all, my friend.