Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MX vs. KX?

Hey guys, what's the diff between the MX vs. KX bodies? I'm digging around, but if someone can quickly put the highlights down, I would really appreciate it.

I know someone who has both and is willing to sell them for a very reasonable price. Both are in really good working condition. I'd rate both at an 8+ out of 10 (Some minor signs of wear, but appears to work perfectly fine.)

Thanks.

03-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX has a slightly larger viewinder (the largest Pentax has ever produced) and features a slighly smaller body. Both are superb cameras, though, so going for either one would be a good investment!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX uses five color coded LEDs in the finder to indicate proper exposure/over/underexposure. The KX uses a match needle system, where one needle shows the manually set shutterspeed, and to achieve propor exposure you match that one with the light meter needle.

So: moving parts in the KX, LEDs in the MX.

I prefer the MX over the KX - the MX is more compact, and I prefer the LED display over the match needle system.
03-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
..........Both are superb cameras, though, so going for either one would be a good investment!
I've got 4 of them but, in the well worn and somewhat battered condition they are in, I doubt that the whole lot would be worth the postage.

03-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
pentaxuser

The MX accepts a motor winder and motor drive (which is hard to find now).
03-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxuser Quote
The MX accepts a motor winder and motor drive (which is hard to find now).
I still have the winder but got rid of the motor drive after it got me into serious financial difficulties.
03-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's been a busy couple days for me, so I apologize for not following up on this thread.

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this!

03-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Hey guys, what's the diff between the MX vs. KX bodies? I'm digging around, but if someone can quickly put the highlights down, I would really appreciate it.

I know someone who has both and is willing to sell them for a very reasonable price. Both are in really good working condition. I'd rate both at an 8+ out of 10 (Some minor signs of wear, but appears to work perfectly fine.)

Thanks.
Hey Alvin.

Here you have a good reason and the perfect opportunity to find out the differences by yourself....Buy both! Yeah, seriously. I mean, why not if the price doesn´t hurt?

I have a cabin up north and I got me a dirt cheap ME with a SMC M 50/2 just for having a camera at the location, not having to bring one every time I went there (yes, I go there alot).

// Mats
03-17-2007, 07:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
Hey Alvin.

Here you have a good reason and the perfect opportunity to find out the differences by yourself....Buy both! Yeah, seriously. I mean, why not if the price doesn´t hurt?

I have a cabin up north and I got me a dirt cheap ME with a SMC M 50/2 just for having a camera at the location, not having to bring one every time I went there (yes, I go there alot).

// Mats

Hey Mats,

I would have loved to buy the cameras and the 50/2. That would have cleaned out the seller of everything he had. But I spent all my money buying the assortment of lenses he had. Take a look here.

LBA? Oh yeah...
03-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Hey Mats,

I would have loved to buy the cameras and the 50/2. That would have cleaned out the seller of everything he had. But I spent all my money buying the assortment of lenses he had. Take a look here.

LBA? Oh yeah...

LOL!... You´re the LBA in person. Nice lenses! Was it two 28mm?

You know, reading this topic and some others about the MX has made me start looking for one. SLRBA?

Rolly;

I would be interested in one of your MX bodies if ít´s working OK. Don´t care if it´s well worn and brassed. I think it gains some carachter to it instead. PM sent.

// Mats
03-18-2007, 12:35 AM   #11

Sorry, Mats but you're way down the line behind my eldest son and a few photophiliac mates.
There are a few on the fleabay site. I noticed some in GB on my last crawl thro'.
I'm still wishing for a digital back for them!!!!!
03-18-2007, 01:15 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
Sorry, Mats but you're way down the line behind my eldest son and a few photophiliac mates.
There are a few on the fleabay site. I noticed some in GB on my last crawl thro'.
I'm still wishing for a digital back for them!!!!!
Man, that´s the first thing I would invent if I was a third part manufacturer!

Wouldn´t it be something to be able to convert your Pentax K and M series, Canon FTb, Canon A1, Contax RTS, Minolta SRT 101, Olympus OM, Yashica FX........

Sorry for hijacking your thread Alvin. Couldn´t resist.

// Mats
03-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #13

Just out of curiosity, does the KX have DOF preview? That was the main reason for my purchasing the MX canmeras and winders many years ago.

Still have them.
03-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #14
pentaxuser

Both the KX and the KM have DOF preview. It is the black button above the self-timer.
03-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
LOL!... You´re the LBA in person. Nice lenses! Was it two 28mm?

You know, reading this topic and some others about the MX has made me start looking for one. SLRBA?

Rolly;

I would be interested in one of your MX bodies if ít´s working OK. Don´t care if it´s well worn and brassed. I think it gains some carachter to it instead. PM sent.

// Mats
Yup, I'm the one! I got two 28's (K28/3.5 and M28/2.8) Still deciding which one to keep and which one to give as a gift to my buddy.

I didn't get your PM - I sent one to you. The gentleman I bought the lenses from owns the cameras. I don't have them with me.

Last edited by Alvin; 03-18-2007 at 10:31 PM.