Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SF1 vs Z-1p bodies

Can trade even the SF1 for the Z-1p body. Both are in great shape. The Z appears a better made camera with more features. Is it better? Didn't pay attention to Pentax high level 35 slrs in this time period (already had 2 LX).
thanks
barondla

Thought I remembered a camera named PZ 1. Is this the same model? It is written Z-1p on camera body.

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!

12-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

International Version

barondla,

The Z-1p is the same camera as the PZ-1p, just the international version. The PZ-1p is the US version. Don't know why they did that but they also did it for the MZ/ZX series.
As for the camera, I would highly recommend this body. I think that it is the closest to a K10D or K20D of all of the film bodies in terms of the user interface. It also has 1/250th flash synch, over 4 fps motor drive, hyper program and is highly customizeable.
I have shot most of the later film bodies and have sold all but the PZ-1p. I like the ZX-5n a lot but the PZip blows it out of the water in my opinion. I certainly believe that it would be an upgrade.
12-25-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Felix68, thanks for the clarification. Makes sense that there was an over seas camera model. Strange it made its way here to the US midwest. Love the 250th flas sync. Non of my other slrs to that! Have the Pentax 540 to make it happen. The camera seems another level up in manufacturing quality over the SF1 (that one is really kind of boxy and plasticy). I will make the trade.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!
12-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the SF-1 and the PZ-1. The PZ-1 is a lot quieter then the SF-1. PZ-1 does have a plastic feel to it, but i think its the better camera.

Go for the trade.

Dave

12-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Can trade even the SF1 for the Z-1p body.
What are you waiting for? The savings in earplugs will be worth it immediately.

The SF-whatevers are the loudest, slowest AF cameras ever. Sturdy, but loud and slow.
12-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The SF series have a certain charm but the Z-1p should be superior in most respects assuming the Z-1 isn't known to be broken. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat. I honestly wonder why the Z-1 owner would ever consider making such a trade.
12-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not trading to same person. Someone wanted to buy my SF1 for the same amount I can buy the Z1P. Have already done the deal. Seems a nicer built camera all around. Usually don't come up with deals like this! Looks good sitting next to the LXs.
thanks
barondla

12-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Not trading to same person. Someone wanted to buy my SF1 for the same amount I can buy the Z1P. Have already done the deal. Seems a nicer built camera all around. Usually don't come up with deals like this! Looks good sitting next to the LXs.
You got a good deal then! The Z1-p is way better in every sense, than the SF series: much more robust body. The outer shell is (if I remember rightly) fibre glass enforced and it sports the same internal stainless steel structure as the K10/K20 do. Apart perhaps from the MZ-S it has the best AF system of all Pentax film cameras and is generally a very fast camera too. Add the grip and you get a really beautiful piece of kit - quite to the contrary to the ugly (my personal view...) SF series.

Use it - it is worth to not not only reside on the shelf.

Ben