Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2008, 01:48 AM   #1

My second MZ-50 just died. And a question.

Yesterday, on a social occasion, I was using my MZ-50 (ZX-50) with AF-58 flash and DA70, triggering happily, when it made this whirring sound. From there on, any action (trigger, on/off switch) would make the body whirr and roll the film forward. Mirror would not slap, or just occasionnally. It's a chance that I just had begun my roll.

This MZ-50 joined another of its siblings, which had died months ago from the exact same disease.

It seems to be a common vulnerability with this specific model, the "plastic fantastic" MZ-50 (ZX-50). Only yesterday I did not find it was so fantastic at all. I've read somewhere (can't find it back) that the wear on a plastic part of the mirror box mechanism caused it.

I know these cameras have this flaw (this one, and also the pop-up flash which does not pop-up anymore), and it's not a big loss, you usually find them for 20 €.

I very much like the size, wieght, simplicity, controls of this MZ line. I also have a MZ-7 (ZX-7) and MZ-5 (ZX-5). In this MZ line, I believe that only the MZ-6 (ZX-L), MZ-7 (ZX-7) and MZ-30 (ZX-30) are compatible with DA lenses, as they allow controlling the aperture from the body.

Now my question: has anyone seen, read, or heard of the same vulnerability affecting the MZ-6 or MZ-7 or MZ-30 ?

I would like to replace the dead MZ-50, but if the higher-end models also have the same flaw, I'd better start to look at another solution - and no, I don't care much about the overpriced MZ-S or the bulky *ist, and I don't want to use my manual bodies (P30 & ME) on a regular basis.

Last edited by phenri; 12-25-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: US names added for the bodies
12-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i think the problem was the winding motor had a gear made of plastic. i too would like to know the answer :/

btw how is the *ist bulky? it's the lightest AF slr in the world
12-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by phenri Quote
It seems to be a common vulnerability with this specific model, the "plastic fantastic" MZ-50 (ZX-50). Only yesterday I did not find it was so fantastic at all. I've read somewhere (can't find it back) that the wear on a plastic part of the mirror box mechanism caused it.
My MZ-50 died about 3 months ago. It made the same strange whirring noises you described along with retrieving the roll of film. I decided it was dead and took it apart for curiosity. To be honest I was disappointed at the quality of the materials inside. There were innumerable little plastic cogs which were never meant to last, not by any stretch of the imagination. However I did love using the MZ-50 because I loved the ergonomics of it and the lovely 'creamy' sounds it made when I took a shot. But seeing what was inside it I would never be interested in seeking another.
12-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phenri Quote
I very much like the size, wieght, simplicity, controls of this MZ line. I also have a MZ-7 (ZX-7) and MZ-5 (ZX-5). In this MZ line, I believe that only the MZ-6 (ZX-L), MZ-7 (ZX-7) and MZ-30 (ZX-30) are compatible with DA lenses, as they allow controlling the aperture from the body.

Now my question: has anyone seen, read, or heard of the same vulnerability affecting the MZ-6 or MZ-7 or MZ-30 ?
I have never read of or encountered this problem with the MZ-6 or MZ-7 or MZ-5(n). I don't know anything about the MZ-30. I have used my MZ-6 and MZ-7 cameras a lot and I personally have not had this problem.

That's not to say they won't break down eventually. After over 5 years of constant use one of my 2 MZ-6 bodies is starting to hiccup once in a while (needs a CLA), but we're talking hundreds and hundreds of rolls of film being put through it. A very tough little camera.

I also quite like the weight, size, simplicity and ergonomics of the MZ-6/MZ-7 cameras I have. I happen to like the MZ-S and LX bodies more, but it's a relative thing!

A MZ-6 will cost more than the MZ-7, since it has spot metering, wireless flash, and the Pentax Functions.

12-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers all. I've checked the quality appearance between my MZ-50 and my MZ-5 and indeed they don't seem to be made of the same stuff even if they look alike.

I'll be seeking a MZ-6 or MZ-7.
12-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
clm

Check to see where they are made. I have a ZX-L/MZ-6 made in Japan, no problems yet. Had an MZ-3, also made in Japan, no problems. I also had a ZX-10 made in the Phillipines, which had frame advance issues. Baseed on my experience, the Japanese models are better.
12-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MZ-6 allows the roll to rewind and leave the leader out.... another point for it

12-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well .. the free MZ-50 that was given to me to use has suffered the same fate by the sounds of things. Such a shame ... was looking forward to having a play with it.